Lordz, Matrix and Slitherine 'under attack'

Started by Keunert, November 15, 2012, 08:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on November 16, 2012, 07:45:39 PM
I miss Gone Gold so very very much. Anyone know if the founder is still alive? His name escapes me.

Rich LaPorte. I used to communicate with him often. He was a retired NYPD cop who had been shot on duty and confined to a wheelchair, his health was very poor and deteriorated to the point that he closed Gone Gold. There was some controversy over his closing the site so abruptly, but most of the flack came from trolls. He has completely dropped out of sight, to the best of my knowledge.

son_of_montfort

Yeah, I heard that Rich had some form of cancer, but that he actually was - at least a few years ago - doing better. I loved that site but never went to the forums. I was in college and thought I was too busy for forums, imagine that mental process...  ;)

I'm surprised you done go over to Octopus Overlords, Steelie (as if you need another forum). A lot of the Gone Gold refugees founded that place and hang out there. The Console Gold group (who got really burned when Rich flipped the switch abruptly) formed Gaming Trend.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Gusington

Good to hear that Rich is doing better. Some of my earliest online drooling over games was done at Gone Gold...even before I found the WG.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 16, 2012, 08:48:09 PM
Yeah, I heard that Rich had some form of cancer, but that he actually was - at least a few years ago - doing better. I loved that site but never went to the forums. I was in college and thought I was too busy for forums, imagine that mental process...  ;)

I'm surprised you done go over to Octopus Overlords, Steelie (as if you need another forum). A lot of the Gone Gold refugees founded that place and hang out there. The Console Gold group (who got really burned when Rich flipped the switch abruptly) formed Gaming Trend.

I found the Wargamer right after GG closed shop and that was pretty much enough. Spent too much time there, and now here.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Gusington on November 16, 2012, 08:49:50 PM
Good to hear that Rich is doing better. Some of my earliest online drooling over games was done at Gone Gold...even before I found the WG.

I can't confirm that, but the scuttlebutt was that one of his contacts gave an update.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Quote from: Steelgrave on November 16, 2012, 10:02:17 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 16, 2012, 08:48:09 PM

I found the Wargamer right after GG closed shop and that was pretty much enough. Spent too much time there, and now here.

At WG we tried to pick up one of his writers to help keep the dream alive but he wasn't interested in moving and the column just ceased.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.