Main Menu

Britannia's Fist

Started by Steelgrave, February 23, 2012, 08:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

I'm almost finished reading "Britannia's Fist", an alternate history novel where Britain declares war on the Union in 1863, not as a result of Confederate diplomacy, but because of a naval incident which inflames the British populace. It's an interesting story, but as happens so often when I read anything even remotely historical, it makes me want to game it.

I'm thinking that something along the lines of Vickie II might be ideal, where you take the part of Britain around 1860 and go from there. Having said that, I haven't played Vickie II. Any thoughts or other suggestions for a suitable gaming experience?

http://www.amazon.com/Britannias-Fist-Civil-Alternate-History/dp/1574888234/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330045884&sr=8-1

Grim.Reaper

I received both books in the series for an xmas gift, just haven't had time to read yet.  Looking forward to them though.

Steelgrave

I just ordered the sequel. I'm 3/4 of the way through the first book. I think the premise would make an excellent scenario with the right game!

Grim.Reaper

From what I read about them, I would tend to agree.  I am always up for games not 100% historical, as long as they don't get too crazy and unrealistic:)

Steelgrave

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 23, 2012, 08:49:34 PM
From what I read about them, I would tend to agree.  I am always up for games not 100% historical, as long as they don't get too crazy and unrealistic:)

NO spoilers here, but I like that in the prologue, the author talks about two incidents during the Civil War which could have very well sparked a war between Great Britain and the Union had cooler heads not prevailed. Of course, in the book, cooler heads do not prevail, but eh.....you figured that part out already  :)

Gusington

Damn you...why do you do this to me? And if you like that, you may like this too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037550494X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Just sayin'...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on February 23, 2012, 10:06:57 PM
Damn you...why do you do this to me? And if you like that, you may like this too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037550494X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Just sayin'...
Interesting! Britannia's Fist actually touches on some of those issues, especially how while the Brits were against slavery, they admired the aristocratic nature of the South vs the rough-hewn nature of the North, leading them to be sympathetic with the Confederacy. Damn Yankees! Present company mostly excluded, of course...

Gusington

Hey during the Civil War my family was still being abused by the Tsar and the Kaiser! Leave me out of it :)

Can you give a little more of what you liked and didn't about the book?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on February 23, 2012, 10:22:44 PM
Hey during the Civil War my family was still being abused by the Tsar and the Kaiser! Leave me out of it :)

Can you give a little more of what you liked and didn't about the book?

I don't want to give away much, since other's have not read it. But unlike a lot of alternate history, I find it to be plausible, modeled on events that could have happened without stretching your imagination too far. And when it veers from what actually did happen, the author doesn't go nuts but rather keeps to a historical and politically logical model of alternate events. That make sense at all? The other thing I like is that, unlike Harry Turtledove (who loves to fill his stories with make-believe characters instead of people we've actually heard of), most of the cast in Fist are historically correct. He even references people and events as the story unfolds, such as Joshua Chamberlain. Not a lot of "Wow" factor in the book, but a good, steady read and a believable "What-if" tale.

Gusington

^Right up my alley. I have to get this now. Thanks for posting about it!! I wonder if the series comes in a set...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on February 23, 2012, 10:40:57 PM
^Right up my alley. I have to get this now. Thanks for posting about it!! I wonder if the series comes in a set...
I think it's just the two books at this point. I bought mine off of Amazon, but I didn't shop around so you might beat their price.

Martok

Cool.  I read somewhere not too long ago that it was only because of the influence (and last-minute intervention) of Victoria & Albert that war between the Union and UK was averted; sort of like a 19th-century version of the Cuban Missile Crisis. 

I wonder if Pride of Nations could model this scenario at all.  (Which reminds me, I've really gotta fire that up again...) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Anyone read the second one in the series? My stack of books to be read was being whittled down slowly but is now rising again. Like the South hopes to one day.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd