Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein - an iPad Battle of the Bulge AAR

Started by Barthheart, January 06, 2013, 04:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

I thought I'd post an AAR for this great game in the hopes of drumming up more opponents to play.

The AI is OK but it is really aimed at new wargamers.... not crusty old Grogs like me. The game really does shine when played against other people. The turns are quick and if you both happen to be sitting near yer Pad then you can play almost in real time.

Anyway.... let's get this started.....
First up is the scenario/opponent selection screen. The different AI's are not listed as "easy"/"hard" but as having different play "styles". I'll play against Monty in this game.

Barthheart

At the start of each turn you are presented with the Daily Briefing. Here you can check out various sets of information.
Since it's the first day you can see I have no victory points yet, red bar graph near the top, and I'm looking at my objectives for this game.

W8taminute

Ooh this is gonna be good.  You've got a potential partner here.  Looking forward to this AAR to help sway me.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Barthheart

Next is the special rules for the start of the scenario. The Germans get 3 unanswered moves before the game switches to alternating moves.

Barthheart

Quote from: W8taminute on January 06, 2013, 04:27:00 PM
Ooh this is gonna be good.  You've got a potential partner here.  Looking forward to this AAR to help sway me.

Good to hear! Just go buy it... it's only $10 and even if you only play each scenario once from each side against each AI opponent that's .. ummm... 8 games, 8 to 10 hours maybe.

Barthheart

Next is the supply view. The Germans must trace supply to the east edge of the map. Allies can trace supply to any to the other sides of the map. The striped areas are shown contested areas.

Barthheart

This next page shows the extent of German artillery coverage. This helps the Germans when they are fighting in these areas.

Barthheart

Next is the Victory Point calculation screen. Here you can see how the Germans can accumulate VP's. Allied victory comes from limiting German VP collection. The amount of VP's needed to win changes as the scenario progresses.

Barthheart

And last is the History page. Here you can read a nice write up of the battle. Very nice for people new to the battle. Several screens long.

Keunert

and already some strategic plunders were made.
damn this looks too good. but why would i buy
a tablet if i have a computer?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Barthheart

Quote from: Keunert on January 06, 2013, 04:58:45 PM
and already some strategic plunders were made.
damn this looks too good. but why would i buy
a tablet if i have a computer?

'cause I can't haul my PC down to the beach with me.  :P
I got a tablet for the calander, note taking, email, web surfing, and game playing while I was on the move.... I fly alot for work.

Barthheart

Alright let's get to to the fun bits.
Here's a full zoomed out shot of the entire map. As you can see this is a area control/movement game. Up in the top left corner you see some areas with small arrows. These are the places that will let the Germas leave the map for VP's. Cities with large labels are worth 2 VP's per turn to the Germans, medium labels are worth 1 VP/turn and small labels are just for flavour.

Barthheart

This is a full zoomed in shot. Here you can see some details of the units.
The German armour units with what looks like a unit creat in the right of the counter are elite units. They get extras in combat.
The small white bars on the bottom of each unit is how many steps that unit has.

Barthheart

Select a unit my touching it. This active that entire area. Here I've actived the 5 FJ unit, the 2 Pz unit can't be activated in the Surprise phase of the first turn.
Activating a unit the map changes to show where it can move to. Non-mech units can only move 1 area at a time. Mech units can move up to 3 (using strategic movement).

Barthheart

Since I want to advance quickly I'll try to destroy or retreat the US 110 Inf unit. Here you can see that I have 8 steps attacking his 1 step.
The small red symbol showing means that my unit crossed a river to make the attack. Only 1 unit can cross a river area side in an activation.