One of my all time favorite Allman tracks

Followed by another

And another

Just a few more

There's much more, but I'll leave you to discover it yourself.  O0
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

I have a love/hate relationship with Lynyrd Skynyrd.  They are a great band with some great songs.  They helped create and define a genre.  My problem is they have played the living HELL out of them on the radio here and some of the songs have turned from ear worm to headache.  But if you're not familiar with them, then you have a great adventure ahead discovering them.

And the song that inspires the cry, "Freebird," before the first encore of every concert I've ever been to

bayonetbrant

I would argue that Midnight Rider is more famous than Rambling Man, YMMV

My personal favorite is their version of Melissa from MTV Unplugged, with One Way Out as close second
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 21, 2017, 09:57:35 AM
I would argue that Midnight Rider is more famous than Rambling Man, YMMV

My personal favorite is their version of Melissa from MTV Unplugged, with One Way Out as close second

I could certainly see that.  I almost included Midnight Rider, but, I wanted there to be some undiscovered goodness, too ;)

MetalDog

Arctic Blast

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 21, 2017, 07:49:09 AM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 20, 2017, 07:20:36 PM
This track definately makes me think of what I'd call classic country music, more bluesy/country than rock , awesome  . Loved the flute in the intro , grabbed me straight away , loved his gravely southern voice/accent ...very cool  8) loved the lyrics , killer track :)

Southern rock has always had a country influence / overlap in themes, but the sound (especially in the mid-70s when that one was recorded) is distinctly different.

compare these two

[yt]https://youtu.be/J4j7ggZqbiU[/yt]

vs

[yt]https://youtu.be/wC6bo3XJnVQ[/yt]

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply to this ! My iPad keeps crashing on this thread and it's only just occurred to me to use my phone ...sigh , anyway , They are both great songs and do both sound very bluesy . The lynyrd skynrd one sounds more rock to me , smokey mountain rain sounds more country to me and made me think of John Denver for some reason , and it's a beautiful song :) and the way he says diesel is just to cool !!!

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 21, 2017, 07:52:01 AM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 20, 2017, 10:23:29 AMI didn't know you could play guitar or sing

I play guitar, badly.  I don't sing - that's part of the humor of it all.  I'm a bad singer, but we didn't have anyone else willing to do it, so I got stuck with it.

I'm sure you play and sound great :) and it definitely took guts to get up there and perform when no one else would  :coolsmiley: I'd much rather be in the audience any day !!!!

Quote from: MetalDog on January 21, 2017, 09:47:23 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with Lynyrd Skynyrd.  They are a great band with some great songs.  They helped create and define a genre.  My problem is they have played the living HELL out of them on the radio here and some of the songs have turned from ear worm to headache.  But if you're not familiar with them, then you have a great adventure ahead discovering them.

And the song that inspires the cry, "Freebird," before the first encore of every concert I've ever been to

Gimme three steps and freebird are both awesome songs MD , I can definately listen to them repeatedly and will do 👍🎼 I'd heard the name lynyrd skynrd before but for some reason always assumed they were heavy metal and just never bothered to check them out . I had to google them when you guys posted songs because I honestly didn't have a clue who they were !!!!....I'm gonna duck just in case that causes a bar brawl 😂 But they are a great band wish I'd have checked them out sooner . It's great you've seen them live , I guess freebird must be one of their signature songs then ?
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

MetalDog

Sorry, E.  I've never actually been to a Skynyrd concert.  I could see how you might think that with how I wrote my reply.  No, what I meant is, that "Freebird," is such an iconic song, and encore worthy, it's really kind of a smarmy joke to yell, "Freebird," at whatever concert I am at before the band comes back onstage for their encore.  Especially once all the lighters get lit.  Or as nowadays is the case, cellphones.  Which don't really produce the same effect as lighters, but, it's the thought that counts.  Glad you liked the tunes, though.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: MetalDog on January 29, 2017, 04:23:04 PM
Sorry, E.  I've never actually been to a Skynyrd concert.

Lies!

They don't let you live in the South unless you have. It's in the by-laws.

MetalDog

I was actually grandfathered in by my,...uh,...grandfather.  He was born here so I get all sorts of benefits not usually associated with Yankees.

bayonetbrant

I am sooooooo digging on Radio Free Raleigh tonight.

Last 5 songs:
Come As You Are (Nirvana)
1979 (Smashing Pumpkins)
Every Day I Write The Book (Elvis Costello)
Wonderful (Adam Ant)
Dyslexic Heart (Paul Westerberg)

They've mixed in Soundgarden, Hootie, OCMS, Far Too Jones, Semisonic, Wallflowers, Ozzy, and Korn.

Gawd I love this station :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 29, 2017, 08:50:45 PM
I am sooooooo digging on Radio Free Raleigh tonight.

Last 5 songs:
Come As You Are (Nirvana)
1979 (Smashing Pumpkins)
Every Day I Write The Book (Elvis Costello)
Wonderful (Adam Ant)
Dyslexic Heart (Paul Westerberg)

They've mixed in Soundgarden, Hootie, OCMS, Far Too Jones, Semisonic, Wallflowers, Ozzy, and Korn.

Gawd I love this station :)

Is this an internet feed? Got Link?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

for you late-70s blues rock enthusiasts

[yt]https://youtu.be/e-5OeuHMgO8[/yt]

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys