Jukebox Playlist

Started by Bison, February 07, 2013, 06:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

16 / 17 you get partial credit...

Buick Makane segues into Big Dumb Sex at the end

Sweet Jane was recorded by Velvet Underground, tho Lou wrote it and played it solo a lot more than that.

here's one I forgot to include

[yt]https://youtu.be/NOOtzQ_mfKE[/yt]
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

T. Rex did Buick Makane.  Don't know the rest of what you're talking about.  And I almost said Velvet Underground, but, I know the song by Lou Reed (and I know he was in VU).
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on December 04, 2017, 09:02:30 PMT. Rex did Buick Makane.  Don't know the rest of what you're talking about. 
The GnR tune is a medley of Buick Makane (T Rex) and Big Dumb Sex (not T Rex), which is why I was referring to partial credit O0

Quote from: MetalDog on December 04, 2017, 09:02:30 PMAnd I almost said Velvet Underground, but, I know the song by Lou Reed (and I know he was in VU).
Yep, Lou wrote it, and VU recorded it, and after VU, Lou played it a lot (and, IIRC re-recorded it at least 2x as a solo artist).  But it was originally recorded as a VU tune :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Yeah, the video said, 'Buick Makane,' so that's why I said T. Rex.  If it had also said, 'Big Dumb Sex,' I would have said, "I don't know".  You don't actually think I listened to the song, do you? ;)

MetalDog

Going to get these two out of the way from the beginning.  These were super mega humongous in 1998.  Not a fan of either, so, they will not be included.  However, I do like to acknowledge music that is almost meta in its ubiquity. 

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on December 04, 2017, 09:45:34 PMYou don't actually think I listened to the song, do you? ;)

well, that was kind of the idea...  you never know what you might like :)

MetalDog

I'll give you that.  Doing research right now and by the time I get back around to them, they'll buried 10 pages back.  Can I take your word for it? 

MetalDog

Another one that's just got to go.

Staggerwing

Here's a song that folks will have trouble pigeonholing:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Emeraldlis

I'm going to say the Everley brothers wrote little suzie. And the only reason I know that, is because I was deciding a couple of nights ago which version to add to my play list.... And it got me thinking, who the heck did write that song anyway????? Mr Google said Everley brothers :) And that's the only reason I know!!!!!!!

My take on desperado, is that I much prefer to hear a man sing that song. I listened to the  Linda Ronstadt version, and it's good. I also like other songs that she sings, great voice. But I LOVE listening to the eagles do that song..... Nothing can top that for me :)

That was a great list of songs you posted Brant  O0 
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Emeraldlis on December 05, 2017, 06:10:28 AM
I'm going to say the Everley brothers wrote little suzie. And the only reason I know that, is because I was deciding a couple of nights ago which version to add to my play list.... And it got me thinking, who the heck did write that song anyway????? Mr Google said Everley brothers :) And that's the only reason I know!!!!!!!

wrong version of a song with a similar name

[yt]https://youtu.be/LojqhHnmyvc[/yt]

listen to the Tesla one - very different tunes

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 05, 2017, 06:32:29 AM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on December 05, 2017, 06:10:28 AM

wrong version of a song with a similar name

[yt]https://youtu.be/LojqhHnmyvc[/yt]

listen to the Tesla one - very different tunes

Oh geez, yeah you're right... My bad  :hide: I saw the tesla title and just assumed it was wake up little susie!  I've listened now to the tesla track, and it's really good  O0  never heard it before, so have no clue who did the original  ??? You gonna tell us then or what  ;D or am I gonna have to Google  ;)

BTW... That version of tears of a clown you posted is Whaaaaaaaaaay better than the original by smokey Robinson. That version drives me insane, can't stand it  #:-)  I heard it so much as a kid, I think I have an aversion to it.... It's torture!!!!

I really like blondies hanging on the telephone. My favourite song from her is heart of glass :)

And Baker Street is awesome, but much prefer undercover dance version from '90s. I realise this is probably heresy!!!!

I think thin  lizzies Rosalie is awesome :) .... There's a lot of awesome music going on in that list  O0
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Emeraldlis on December 05, 2017, 08:35:15 AMThere's a lot of awesome music going on in that list  O0

I'm just good that way :)

(other ways, too, but that's a different discussion)

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 05, 2017, 10:27:30 AM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on December 05, 2017, 08:35:15 AMThere's a lot of awesome music going on in that list  O0

I'm just good that way :)

(other ways, too, but that's a different discussion)

Let's have that discussion....of these other ways . I'm intrigued :) do these ways involve mcsabbath and Barney  :coolsmiley: 'everyone needs it until they're fat and dead '  :bd:

bob48

There are dark corners of Brant's mind that are likely best left undisturbed.................
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!