Jukebox Playlist

Started by Bison, February 07, 2013, 06:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreb

Not a particularly good day here. Only one thing to do. Play some uplifting music.

It sucks because most of this stuff was before my time and rather obscure so that I didn't discover it until later
When dongles fly? - mirth

MetalDog

Moreb, stick around for a minute.  I gotta take care of something and I'll give you some more, "obscure," stuff.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Moreb

I'm here but having problems. I ran a command to run my pc in tcp and don't know how to switch it back to udp so now those videos don't show up.

Post away while I try to fix it.

Moreb

Working now. What ya got Metal?

MetalDog

Hang loose one second more.  Fetching them now.

MetalDog

First up, another T. Rex classic.  One that I am not sure a lot of Americans are aware of.  Certainly not to the level of 'Bang A Gong.'

A favorite of mine off Electric Warrior

Background vocals on both albums were provided by Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan (who were also members of Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention).  Both men are famous for singing this song:

MetalDog

Stevie Wonder is funky as hell!  Innervisions is rightly recognized as a seminal and influential album.  Talking Book and Songs in the Key of Life are great as well.  'Sir Duke,' was one of my favorites growing up.

Stevie always reminds me of this guy, Sly Stone.  A tortured genius who burned bright and fizzled ignominiously.  Made some kick ass music though.

And here's some mean ass funk that spawned a thousand rap songs.

MetalDog

When I saw 'Spill the Wine,' (which is a favorite of mine, too) I immediately was going to go Steppenwolf.  Then I saw Santana in the suggested videos of 'Spill the Wine.'  Then I knew.

Still going to go Steppenwolf, too.  This is actually three songs, 'Monster/Suicide/America.'  Political commentary from 1969.

Moreb

OK, that Slider song was incredible. Never heard it before. I forgot about Jeepster though. I loved that album.

And that funk of Sly has been imitated by so many people.

Now the Turtles were a little bit too bubblegum for my tastes. Good song and well known but not one I'm too crazy about.

Thanks Metal. I really enjoy these exchanges.

You a Floyd fan?

I see you posted The Monster. I remember the album art of that being killer. I'd put that with JD Blackfoot The Legend of Crazyhorese

Moreb

I see your BMW and raise you a great guitar intro

Moreb

Here is a couple rough and raw songs I like.

and a video I made on an account I no longer have.

MetalDog

I haven't heard 'Winning,' in a million years!!  Love that tune!  Saw Santana in '88?  '89?  Maybe '90.  it was definitely one of those summers.  Played in the rain for two hours.  Blew us all away.

I have a love hate relationship with Floyd.  I love quite a bit of their stuff (saw them in the early to mid 90's (best light show EVAH!)), but, I hate The Wall.  Here's a couple early ones I always dig.

Glad you dug, 'The Slider.'  Had a cassette with Electric Warrior on one side and the Slider on the other when I was a teenager.  I wore that sh*t OUT!

The Turtles was just to illustrate where Volman and Kaylan were from.  A point of reference if you were so interested.

I dig funk tremendously.  Sly is a pioneer in that field.  Soul, too.  You ever hear this song?

MetalDog

Nice looking video you made.  Not much of a country rock fan.  And I really do not like the Eagles, soooo...  I do dig some legit country boogie piano and honky tonk type stuff.

Moreb

Hehe. What a great set there. I know a little is one of my favorite LS song (again, great intro) and Trudy is my favorite CDB song by far.

Free Four is incredible. Such a happy sounding dark song. Waters is a strange cat indeed. I know that Sweet Soul Music but never knew who sang it. I dig the horns for sure. Since you aren't a fan of the Wall, which was pitched and written before Dark Side of the Moon strangely, you probably wouldnt care for Waters first solo album which was a concept album  also. Where it shines is that on guitar he had Eric Clapton and David Sanborn on horns.

I'll leave you with a small diverse set.

Sam with background singing by Baywatch actor Lou Rawls.

I'm off to bed but if you have some more post them tonight or tomorrow and I'll check them out at work. I work with a radio every day or headset at least.

W8taminute

All right people.  You've got The Clash, Rick James, and a little bit of Deep Purple.  What more can you ask for?   8)

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk