19th Century Wargaming?

Started by spelk, April 23, 2013, 03:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

Can I just ask the Grognati about my options when wanting to play 19th Century warfare wargames (operational/tactical more than strategic).

Napoleonics are covered mainly by HPS/Tiller stuff.
American Civil War are covered by HPS/Tiller and Scourge of War etc.

You know I'm kind of keen on the likes of the Anglo-Zulu War (and Jeff Lapkoff is just about the only dev serving that conflict), but what about the likes of the Boer war, Crimean War, Mexican War, Opium War, Boxer Rebellion etc.

Is Age of Rifles 1996 game just about the only option available to me?

GJK

I'm afraid that you're in the wrong forum for that, you need to drop done a few listings to the Board Wargaming forum.  Victoria 2 is the only PC game that comes to mind to me that covers the 19th Century (that you haven't mentioned already).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Anguille

You've got the Mexican War in American Conquest: Divided Nations as well as in HPS the Mexican-American War by John Tiller.

I also know there are some mods for Total War games (i believe it's for Empire) where you can play the Zulu Wars.

Cheers

spelk

Quote from: GJK on April 23, 2013, 05:37:19 AM
I'm afraid that you're in the wrong forum for that, you need to drop done a few listings to the Board Wargaming forum.  Victoria 2 is the only PC game that comes to mind to me that covers the 19th Century (that you haven't mentioned already).

Bah, I don't want to play board games, unless they're on the PC, or mobile devices, and have an AI to fiddle with :)

Victoria 2 seemed a lot more about strategic management than I wanted.

Pride of Nations tickled on the Boar War with one of it's battle scenario's but I can't bear the thought of installing that beast, patching it all up, just to have a sniff.

mikeck

Not sure how you feel about Total War he's but Shogun 2:Fall of the Samurai takes place around 1870 or so. Can fight with era western units, artillery and ships.

AI is the best of any total war, but it certainly is not a traditional turn based hex wargame...as you know
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

spelk

Quote from: Anguille on April 23, 2013, 07:35:40 AM
You've got the Mexican War in American Conquest: Divided Nations

Is that the 'Cossacks' style RTS? I'm sure I've bought that and played some of it.

as well as in HPS the Mexican-American War by John Tiller.

Yeah, I've got that one - but I find my taste for Tiller seems to come and go, mainly centred around the presentation (I've bleated enough about that previously). Jeff Lapkoff did The Alamo too.

I also know there are some mods for Total War games (i believe it's for Empire) where you can play the Zulu Wars.

I have downloaded and tried out the Khartoum/Zulu Wars mod for Total War Napoleon, it's not bad, but its a bit too RTS.

Essentially I want a more modern Age of Rifles, please.

There seems to be a glaring hole in PC wargaming coverage of this period, apart from endless iterations of Tiller's engine on the biggies (Nappy and ACW). I'd love to explore the 19th Century in more modern gaming terms, but there doesn't seem to be the games available for PC wargaming anyway. Perhaps theres just not the interest, and the majority of folks who want this era, are satiated by board games or tabletop miniatures?

I keep hoping Field of Glory will dip into the age of the rifle. But they're dragging their feet...

Anguille

Yes, it's cossack style RTS though there isn't build up in the campaign nor recruiting. You have your army and you have to win the scenario. So it's just the battles.

- Battles for Texas
- Battles for Mexico
- The battle of New Orleans

The sandbox mode is a classical rts game.

I agree...it's a forgotten period in gaming...but probably one that wouldn't sell well too.

Ashcloud

I for one would also love some 19th century stuff ending with the Boer Wars. I would love to play all the Flashman adventures from Afghanistan and India to the Crimea and the Mexican War. Not to mention the Zulu Wars and the Opium Wars.

Zulu1966

Quote from: spelk on April 23, 2013, 03:58:11 AM
Can I just ask the Grognati about my options when wanting to play 19th Century warfare wargames (operational/tactical more than strategic).

Napoleonics are covered mainly by HPS/Tiller stuff.
American Civil War are covered by HPS/Tiller and Scourge of War etc.

You know I'm kind of keen on the likes of the Anglo-Zulu War (and Jeff Lapkoff is just about the only dev serving that conflict), but what about the likes of the Boer war, Crimean War, Mexican War, Opium War, Boxer Rebellion etc.

Is Age of Rifles 1996 game just about the only option available to me?

White dog games had one on isandlwana. Beyond that I am out.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Cyrano

It remains remarkable to me that Tiller her made no effort to:

a:  Do a game based on Victoria "Little Wars".

b:  Update Age of Sail.

Both seem, to me, like strong sellers in their niche.

I have predicted elsewhere that we'll never see another "Age of Rifles"...too much content for return.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

panzerde

I'd love to see more from this time period as well, done right.  I loved Age of Rifles.

Unfortunately, it may be that nearly everyone that would buy a game like that has already commented in this forum.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mikeck

I have mentioned before that I think AGEODs engine would be perfect for a "wars of German unification". Would include the Prussian wars against Denmark, Austria and France. Like Birth of Rome, other scenarios could be added like the Franco Austrian wars in Italy and even Crimea.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

spelk

Quote from: Cyrano on April 23, 2013, 09:28:21 AM
I have predicted elsewhere that we'll never see another "Age of Rifles"...too much content for return.

If Matrix or Slitherine are listening, make an Age of Rifles engine, then sell individual 19th Century era's as DLC! It'd be another Field of Glory expansion pack fest, only with rifles.

I'm sure Field of Glory is heading towards Napoleonics. So perhaps they could just keep going with that?

MengJiao

Quote from: spelk on April 23, 2013, 08:00:23 AM
There seems to be a glaring hole in PC wargaming coverage of this period, apart from endless iterations of Tiller's engine on the biggies (Nappy and ACW). I'd love to explore the 19th Century in more modern gaming terms, but there doesn't seem to be the games available for PC wargaming anyway. Perhaps theres just not the interest, and the majority of folks who want this era, are satiated by board games or tabletop miniatures?

I keep hoping Field of Glory will dip into the age of the rifle. But they're dragging their feet...

I think the basic problem is that the 19th century is not technologically easy to pin down.  The American Civil War (for example) is crazily transitional in terms of weapons and transport and communications.

And there's a big black hole in the middle of the glaring hole:  the Tiaping Rebellion, the biggest war of the 19th century probably isn't thinkable as a simulation in current terms.

In board gaming, the Russo-Japanese war is fairly well covered -- perhaps because the technology is pretty clear for once (given the technical chaos of the rest of the post-naploeonic 19th century).  And of course, by then you are in the 20th century.

Gusington

I could really use a new PC game set in the 19th century.

Right now I am modding Civ V to play as the Germans building a Middle Eastern empire in the late 19th/early 20th century.

Some aspects are cool and interesting like the Prussian mod I am using along with some others, but there is always a level of disbelief in Civ that I can't reach. I need something new.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd