19th Century Wargaming?

Started by spelk, April 23, 2013, 03:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

How accessible is Victoria II? Really want to get it because I love the era but I don't want to get lost and frustrated and feel like I wasted my money. Is it more accessible than the EU games?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

If you didn't like the eu games I don't see you liking to play Vicky.

Gusington

You got it? Is it streamlined in any way?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Al

Posted wrong thread.
Al

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 07:45:37 AM

I do but it never really grabbed me so I quit playing.  It's something that I encounter a lot with Paradox games.  I don't like the feeling that I'm watching the PC process a "game" with little to no imput from me for a lengthy period of time. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on May 22, 2013, 08:18:42 AM
Quote from: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 07:45:37 AM

I do but it never really grabbed me so I quit playing.  It's something that I encounter a lot with Paradox games.  I don't like the feeling that I'm watching the PC process a "game" with little to no imput from me for a lengthy period of time.

I probably could've overlooked some of that but at the same time , playing as a Major Power or one who achieves that status at some point, you have to micro-manage your GP diplomatic influence with nations you're trying to get/keep in your Sphere. 

It sounds like interesting Diplo play, but it's absolutely not in practice.  More like playing Pop Goes the Weasel with allocation sliders.  You have to regularly adjust to the AI attempts at elbowing in on your turf, and it moves it's own sliders back & forth regularly enough to make you constantly go back & adjust.  Along with timing your Influence expenditures for each nation at the perfect time.  The latter causes you to be constantly checking these totals and comparing them to everyone else's for each nation you're attempting to influence. >:(    Slider wars.  ::)

Gusington

That stinks. Any of you play the new Heart of Darkness?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd