13 Awesome Games That Have Gone Free

Started by OJsDad, May 02, 2013, 08:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Bison

I tried to play Titans of Steel once, but it was a huge PITA to figure out.

Rayfer

Quote from: Bison on May 02, 2013, 08:24:11 PM
I tried to play Titans of Steel once, but it was a huge PITA to figure out.

Yes, the most frustrating, user-unfriendly, complicated interface I have ever encountered in a game.

Toonces

Ok, someone is going to have to separate the "must play" from the "hey cool" games.

I do feel like I should experience Ultima once in my sad little life, but after Skyrim....it's tough.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jack Nastyface

IIRC, I think all of the following games were or went free:
- B-17 Flying Fortress, by Microprose
- Mig Alley, by Rowan
- Deus Ex
- Syndicate
But I am not sure if the binaries / downloads are still available anywhere.

IMHO, all of these beat many of the games on this list, although perhaps these are not truly "classic" as in early to mid-1990's titles.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

JasonPratt

That list reminded me I've been meaning to download the graphic-updated version of Quest for Glory 2 (which officially only exists in blocky 16 color original) and Star Control 2 (as the Ur-Quan Masters) for a while.

However, the download links that article takes me to, while they say the games downloaded, my Firefox's download screen says nothing happened, and I can't find where the games supposedly downloaded to. So beware!

Actual Ur-Quan Masters download at sourceforge here: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

Quest for Glory 2 VGA (the official version 2.0, I don't know what 2.2.0 is supposed to be on the download page linked in the original article above): http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/downloads/thegame/downloads.html
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

eyebiter

If Mig Alley is freeware, is there a site to download it?  Or has some group redone the textures missing from the source code?