Main Menu

consoles

Started by renobe, May 10, 2013, 10:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renobe

I know very little about consoles. I have a question. Do some console games require a internet connection to activat or to play a game.
One more question. How does earlier XBox games, or for that matter Playstation work with the latest consoles?

Arctic Blast

Quote from: renobe on May 10, 2013, 10:53:43 PM
I know very little about consoles. I have a question. Do some console games require a internet connection to activat or to play a game.
One more question. How does earlier XBox games, or for that matter Playstation work with the latest consoles?

Not aware of any games that require a connection to run...EXCEPT the older ones. You can run most XBox games on a 360, but it will need to add some compatibility files from online. It doesn't require XBox Live Gold, just a free Silver membership. Not sure about the PS3 and back compatibility.

Hiimori

On the XBox, many Arcade games you download from the XBox Live Marketplace require an internet connection when you want to play them.

Regular / Full-price titles don't require an internet connection, but many profit from a connection or get advanced features.

One example is the Need for Speed series. You can play the single player all by yourself, but if you are connected to the internet, your friends' faces are prominently displayed on walls and near jump platforms all over the city when they set a record there, or their names and high scores appear next to speed cameras. It's very funny to crash through a billboard with your friend's face on it and beat his record, for afterwards, your face will be displayed in his game  :P

Other single player games, like Dark Souls, can also be played offline, but if you are connected to the internet, other players can leave messages in your game (which can be hints, or decoys, or simply expressing their despair...) or can be summoned into your game (or you into theirs) to assist you in boss fights. Never a must, but very nice to have.

If you can go without these additional features, there is no requirement to connect your XBox to the internet, all single player games will run and be playable. You will only miss a patch or update here and there, because the XBox checks for updates when you launch a game.

Regarding older games - the XBox 360 is not per se backward compatible to the XBox 1. But you can play many older games on the XBox 360 by downloading a special compatibility file from XBox Live (you have to be online to download this compatibility file, but afterwards, you can play the game offline I think). Which games are playable and which are not is entirely in the hands of Microsoft; they offer the patch only for a certain selection of older games. There are lists of compatible games in the internet, though.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

renobe

Since I made this post over a month ago I have kearned that the new Xbox console will have DRM. A internet connection will be required.
I started to research consoles and order to buy them to get away from DRM, and os that no longer supported older games on PCs.
So much for that idea.

Grimnirsson

Buy a Xbox 360 (lots of games) or wait what Sony will say about DRM at the E3 tomorrow.

www.homefrontcenter.de

renobe

Quote from: Grimnirsson on June 09, 2013, 03:53:03 AM
Buy a Xbox 360 (lots of games) or wait what Sony will say about DRM at the E3 tomorrow.

Sony will go the same rout. I will not buy a console with DRM. I will stick with the pc even if that requires me to learn how to build my own computer. I Have the installation disks for both Win 98 & XP.

Grimnirsson

We don't know yet what Sony is going to tell us tomorrow but they confirmed already there's no need for the PS4 to be online (other than to get updates, patches). The Xbox 360 has no DRM either, so this is still an option.

www.homefrontcenter.de

renobe

Quote from: Grimnirsson on June 09, 2013, 12:20:08 PM
We don't know yet what Sony is going to tell us tomorrow but they confirmed already there's no need for the PS4 to be online (other than to get updates, patches). The Xbox 360 has DRM either, so this is still an option.

This is not correct. Ypu will have to go online daily Here is the article by NBC News.
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/microsoft-clarifies-policies-game-licensing-privacy-drm-xbox-one-6C10240845

Grimnirsson

Sure it's correct...The XBOX ONE must be online once a day, not the Xbox 360 or the PS4...

www.homefrontcenter.de

Arctic Blast

We'll see. If Sony doesn't come right out during their E3 presser today and say "You don't need to be online and you can play used games." it probably means two things :

1. They are horrible at marketing
2. You do have to be online and can't play used games.

So we'll see.

Grimnirsson

The MS Press Conference was complete fail btw...

www.homefrontcenter.de

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Grimnirsson on June 10, 2013, 03:33:21 PM

Pretty much. A few good games on display, but their complete lack of any attempt to swing their press around was a massive miss. Also, $499 in the US, 499 Euros in Europe and 429 Pounds in the UK...seriously?

If Sony can't come away with a win competing with THAT, they're incompetent.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Arctic Blast on June 10, 2013, 04:02:34 PM

Pretty much. A few good games on display, but their complete lack of any attempt to swing their press around was a massive miss. Also, $499 in the US, 499 Euros in Europe and 429 Pounds in the UK...seriously?

Is that going to be the normal price for it, or is that just for a special day one version?  If that is the normal price, that is going to be tough for me to buy since I only play a handful of sports games on it.  Can't see spending $500.

Staggerwing

What's the verdict on the PS4? Did Sony spill the beans yet?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 10, 2013, 06:30:57 PM
What's the verdict on the PS4? Did Sony spill the beans yet?

Their presser doesn't start for at least another...20 minutes yet.

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 10, 2013, 05:42:31 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on June 10, 2013, 04:02:34 PM

Is that going to be the normal price for it, or is that just for a special day one version?  If that is the normal price, that is going to be tough for me to buy since I only play a handful of sports games on it.  Can't see spending $500.

Yep, that's the price.