Dragon's Dogma for XBOX360

Started by W8taminute, May 13, 2013, 12:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

I recently purchased Dragon's Dogma for 360 per Grimnirsson and Hiimori's suggestion.  I finally got around to playing the game this weekend and I must say my initial impressions are very positive.

Dragon's Dogma is an RPG set in a fantasy/medieval type world filled with dragons, knights, goblins, etc.  The game tries to blend several ideas from other RPG games such as crafting items and weapons, open world environment (and it's a big world too), teaming up with NPCs to complete quests, and a Dynasty Warriors like combat system.  Overall these elements work together nicely in Dragon's Dogma. 

If you're familiar with Skyrim's gameplay and story Dragon's Dogma's experience can be said to be similar.  Both games feature NPC partners that help you in your quests.  Both games feature an interesting story line as well as the freedom to take on as many main and sidequests as you like.  Although Dragon's Dogma does not have the same level of marketing hype as Skyrim does it is a game that I would consider a diamond in the rough.  Getting used to the combat system might be a bit difficult but once the player understands how fighting works it plays out well.  This game is not as complex as Dark Souls as far as combat is concerned but it is as challenging as Skyrim is. 

At the start of the game you must define who your character will be and what his role type is.  Will he be a fighter specializing in melee type combat or will he favor long range battle by using spells and bows?  Or will he be purely a magick user?  The choice is yours and you can change vocations at any time.  You also must recruit NPC helpers called Pawns who have their own specialties as well.  Your friends can share their Pawns with you as well as use your created Pawns. 

I've only played about 3 hours or so but am liking what I see so far.  If you're looking for an RPG that is a little different from the mainstream type games Dragon's Dogma might be worth looking into.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grimnirsson

Great you like it :)

There are 9 Vocations (classes) in the game and the hybrid ones are very interesting. Tell us the name of your Pawn when you have one and I will get back into the game and take him/her into my party :)

Here's the official wiki for the game:

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon%27s_Dogma

Update: Ah, just saw your PM on XBL, Magnus the Mage it is, very well, he will join my party when I come to the next rift stone :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 14, 2013, 03:06:44 AM
Great you like it :)

There are 9 Vocations (classes) in the game and the hybrid ones are very interesting. Tell us the name of your Pawn when you have one and I will get back into the game and take him/her into my party :)

Here's the official wiki for the game:

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon%27s_Dogma

Update: Ah, just saw your PM on XBL, Magnus the Mage it is, very well, he will join my party when I come to the next rift stone :)

Excellent!  I'm sure Magnus will learn a lot under your guidance.   :)

I've also bookmarked that wiki, very useful indeed.  I find that so far I'm having fun just wandering around the world content to accept the sidequests from the townsfolk and the wanted posters.  As I play more of the game I'm seeing that the game world is very rich in detail.  Not only is it graphically beautiful but there are plenty of natural resources around for your party to harvest and put to use crafting medicines, weapons, etc.  This game, along with Dark Souls, will keep me busy for a very long time.  Well at least until Dark Souls 2 comes out.  I've already placed a reserve order for Dark Souls 2.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Grimnirsson

QuoteExcellent!  I'm sure Magnus will learn a lot under your guidance.

Interesting thing in this game is , your Pawn may know things and creatures you as the player don't know. Not because the game wants it so, but because the Pawn actually learned something in another players game - that's a cool concept :)

QuoteI've also bookmarked that wiki, very useful indeed.  I find that so far I'm having fun just wandering around the world content to accept the sidequests from the townsfolk and the wanted posters.  As I play more of the game I'm seeing that the game world is very rich in detail.  Not only is it graphically beautiful but there are plenty of natural resources around for your party to harvest and put to use crafting medicines, weapons, etc.

You installed the game to the HDD didn't you? It's a must to really enjoy the gfx.

QuoteThis game, along with Dark Souls, will keep me busy for a very long time.  Well at least until Dark Souls 2 comes out. I've already placed a reserve order for Dark Souls 2.

LOL

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

QuoteYou installed the game to the HDD didn't you? It's a must to really enjoy the gfx.

Yes I did install the game to my HDD and I believe that is the reason for the crisp graphics.  I usually install games to HDD that I intend to play for a while, only removing them when I've had my fill.  Not only does the game perform better when installed to the drive but there is less wear and tear on the DVD optics and mechanisms as well. 

Quote...the Pawn actually learned something in another players game...

That is an awesome concept indeed!  I was wondering why your pawn that I am using in my game occasionally comments with phrases such as "I know a bit about this place".   :)

Grimnirsson

Ah, I am sure she will protect and guide you - she's friendly but sometimes comes across a bit grumpy - a true grognard :P

www.homefrontcenter.de

Grimnirsson

W8taminute,

I can't enlist your Pawn because I don't have you as a friend in my list when I enter the Rift...also when I went to the Inn to have a rest and Nionde came back from her journeys with other Masters you were not listed there either.

Please make sure:

to confirm to play online not offline when the game asks you

to rest at an Inn because that's updating the servers

to NOT have your pawn set to "No One" for online access in the options

Nionde and Arrangos on their way to new adventures

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

^I see.  Let me check my settings.  I did rest at an inn last night and updated the server but I have to check on my pawn's settings for online access and make sure I'm playing online. I'm pretty sure I am playing online because I do get 'Accessing Server' popups from time to time.  I think my problem is that the pawn I made is not set to be accessible online.

I wonder why Nionde did not have me listed upon returning from her journey with me?  I did rest at an inn.   ???

Grimnirsson

QuoteI wonder why Nionde did not have me listed upon returning from her journey with me?  I did rest at an inn. 

I had two Masters listed and one as "Invalid Data", maybe that was you and something got messed up. We'll see what will happen in the future I'm back into the game :)

Btw:

Quoteand a Dynasty Warriors like combat system

I'm not sure that I agree with you here. Form what I remember DW combat was button mashing at the finest and you didn't have too many options. Combat in DD is quite tactical and has two layers of combat styles for both the primary and the secondary weapon. There are some nice ways to make great combos and even to have combat options like one of your party members grabbing an enemy and you rushing in for the kill etc.. It's not that far from Dark Souls, although it lacks the lockon ability.

And regarding the Pawns, I strongly advice to first give everything you find in terms of weapons and armor and stuff to your main Pawn. The quicker the Pawn gets some Omph, the better his skills and augments are the more likely s/he will get hired and brings back experience for himself and some nice rift crystals and items for you.

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

QuoteI'm not sure that I agree with you here. Form what I remember DW combat was button mashing at the finest and you didn't have too many options.

I agree with not having as many combat options in DW vs. DD however to me at least the combat in DD still kind of feels like that in DW.  You have your weak and strong attacks and blocks (shield).  Last night I discovered that if you press and hold the RB you can perform additional combat moves.  I assigned some additional combat moves to those empty slots and noticed that I had more options to play with.  It kind of feels though that you can button mash to a degree against the weaker enemies.  I have not encountered any strong enemies yet so maybe too early for me to judge.

So yes, DD has more options that require a bit more thinking than DW but not as complex as Dark Souls.  Nothing I've played in this genre can compare with the combat system in Dark Souls.  One truly must think and strategize to win engagements in Dark Souls.  I'm really impressed on how they managed to create a realistic melee combat system in Dark Souls and that has probably jaded my view on other games now.  Not that that is a bad thing mind you.  DD does not as demanding in combat because of it's simpler button layout and the tremendous help your pawns provide you.  But to see how combat works in Dark Souls, especially when you have real human help via summoning, is a joy matched by very few games.

Grimnirsson

QuoteI have not encountered any strong enemies yet so maybe too early for me to judge.

You'll encounter such enemies, trust me ;)

QuoteBut to see how combat works in Dark Souls, especially when you have real human help via summoning, is a joy matched by very few games.

True :)

www.homefrontcenter.de

Hiimori

Since the game includes an in-built screenshot feature, I'd like to share some of my screenshots with you...  :)

My first Pawn, Arya Stark. Unfortunately, my save game was corrupted and I had to start all over again...

This time, with my new Pawn, Ser Fulgrim (here wearing his beautiful new Chaos helmet):

I, Fulgrim, and Grimnirsson's Pawn Nionde leaving the capital, Gran Soren:

Now some of my epic battles - so just in case you think that the monsters and bosses in Dragon's Dogma are smaller or less impressing than the bosses in Dark Souls  ;)

Fighting something very Slaaneshi:

This ugly Cockatrice managed to send Fulgrim back into the Rift:

Meeting a Griffin:

Fulgrim, grabbed by a Wyrm:

Meet the Hydra:

www.homefrontcenter.de

Grimnirsson

Cool pics Hiimori, but...not one that shows Nionde was a worthy member of the party in combat? ;)

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

Very cool pics Hiimori thanks for sharing.  I'm beginning to wonder if I should set up a facebook account just so that I can share images from DD.  I know that the built in screenshot sharing only works with social media such as facebook.  Now if I can get over my paranoia of using social media I'll be all set.  LOL

Grimnirsson I check my pawn this morning and noticed that I have his sharing setting set to anyone.  This should mean he can be hired by anyone on XBOX: LIVE no?  Do I have to release my pawn from my in game party?  Maybe I need to send him to the rift?

I also stayed at the inn in the encampment beyond Casardis.  Try again and see if Nionde has some experience and rift crystals to give you.  The other night when I stayed at the inn I did notice that the network sync took much longer than this morning so maybe it was a server issue the other night?

Grimnirsson

Well, I have the answer to our problem and may I say it sucks? Ok, I say it, IT SUCKS!!!  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

http://www.gamespot.com/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen/forum/cant-use-my-friends-pawn-now-that-he-got-dark-arisen-66081944/

A shame, the game is really great, especially the AI is actually a good one:

Nionde using her new skill that allows to cord an enemy, after Ser Fulgrim released the Direwolf from his grip and I'm just standing there in awe :)

Nionde always with me when the fight gets tough, here she watched my six while I was fighting and wasn't aware of the wolves

And the perfect party, the Mage working her spells, I am shooting arrows from afar and both Ser Fulgrim and Nionde climbing a rock and then both jumping on the beasts head and all this while dramatic music fills the room - awesome :)

www.homefrontcenter.de