Clash of the Titans - PS4 vs Xbox One

Started by Grimnirsson, May 22, 2013, 04:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: Grimnirsson.. because I don't trust them anymore, not one bit.

Yes.  For a millisecond I considered the possibility of getting the XBONE but then I thought as you do.  No more MS for me.  I pray our 360's will live long enough to serve our hobbies until we get the PS4.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grimnirsson

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Hiimori

Hits the nail right on the head... XBOX 180 would be a more appropriate name!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Arctic Blast

Pretty simple for me (if I end up getting one) : Which has more of the games that I want to play?

W8taminute

I don't think that the question 'which console has the most games I want to play' is applicable in this day and age.  All the hit titles are pretty much on both of today's systems with the exception of a handful of games.  As for the niche market if you want JRPGs or other Japanese type games get the Playstation.  If you want Minecraft (yay  ::) ) get the XBOX. 

I didn't know until watching the video posted above that the PS4 is out pre-ordering the XBONE by 4:1.  Me, I think I'm getting the PS4 but not on launch day.  I'll wait until first quarter 2014 when the mad rush is over.  I've got a big backlog of XBOX 360 games waiting for me and I've got my eye on a few other titles for that console that I'll probably get. 

Hardcore players drive the business.  MS failed and it remains to be seen if they succeed with their new console. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Staggerwing

Maybe I'll finally get around to buying an XBOX360 after the XBONE's release knocks the former's price down a bit more. What version of the 360 was/is the most reliable?

AFA the PS4 goes, I'll probably wait until I find out if it will let me play Skyrim.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grimnirsson

QuoteWhat version of the 360 was/is the most reliable?

If you buy a new Xbox 360 you'll have a reliable one...the new ones don't have any issues anymore, no RRoD etc.. Get one with a big HDD and/or a good bundle with a game you want to play anyway.

www.homefrontcenter.de

Arctic Blast

Quote from: W8taminute on August 15, 2013, 06:21:10 PM

Hardcore players drive the business.  MS failed and it remains to be seen if they succeed with their new console.

I really don't get how they failed. Yep, they're talking up other services beyond gaming...so is Sony. Hell, half of Sony's E3 show had absolutely nothing to do with games.

And while the initial MS plan was a mess, they actually amended it. Now the two platforms are so close together in terms of what's being offered that there really isn't a huge difference. Sure, I could hold a grudge about the initial plan, but what's the point of that? They listened, they changed, and that's a good thing.

I'll see which one is doing better 6-12 months after launch and choose accordingly.

W8taminute

I think where MS went wrong is with a few of the tech specs.  DDR3 vs. Sony's DDR4 memory for one.  Although yes they amended some of their initial policies they still left a bad taste.  Like Grimnirsson said, I can't trust them anymore. 

But I have to agree with you on waiting 6-12 months and seeing how things line up with the new consoles.  That's one of the big reason's I'm not rushing in like I did with the previous generation.  I bought one of the early PS3s when they first came out and was very closed minded with the 360.  About a year and a half ago I was convinced by a friend to open up my horizons and get a 360.  When I did that I never played my PS3 again.  The strong love I have for the 360 was strongly crushed with the seemingly evil policies MS took with the XBONE.  That is why I have been so emotional about hating MS.  It's like when the girl you've been loving so much suddenly plunges a dagger into your heart then 2 months later says she's sorry.  How can one ever recover from a blow like that?

JasonPratt

Personally, the lack of backward compatibility kills the PS4 for me, and I would otherwise have chosen it over the XB1 anyway for legacy purposes: because I have a ton of PS3 and PS2 games I still like. (PS1 is not so much an issue, but they have or had backcompat for it. I made sure to buy a PS3 back when it was still possible to get a new PS2 compat.)

If I have to start over from absolute scratch, the question comes down to reliability and performance. In which case I already have a monster PC with access to high performance (eventually) less expensive games.

So not surprisingly, I've found myself migrating back to PC for games I would have previously supported on PS3 due to relative ease of use. I really only lack an XB controller (or two) to make the transition complete. If Sony abandons me, I feel no loyalty to them in return by exactly the same proportion.

Having said that, I'd feel even more ticced at Microsoft, since they've revealed how much they were previously trying to screw their own audience and yet have shown very little sign (other than recanting when forced to by market pressure) that they've learned their lesson and will resolve to act better in the future.

Fortunately I've never invested in XB. But I feel great sympathy for those who feel burned and betrayed; it has to be worse than how I feel about Sony. :(
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

I hear you brother on the PS1-PS2-PS3 transition.  I've got loads of PS2 games that I still love and an early PS3 to play them on.  Funny thing is though, I still hookup my PS2 when I want to play them.  I really want to extend the life of my PS3 as much as possible.  But I've liquidated quite a few of my PS3 library so if PS4 is not backward compatible it doesn't hurt me as much as it does you.  Btw have you looked into getting a refurb PS2 from GameStop?  I have been toying with that idea for a while but since I only play my old games once in a blue moon I think I should be ok.

Last night my XB360 shut itself down.  I was shocked to say the least.  When I checked on it's power brick plugged into the wall I noticed a red light was on.  I unplugged the cord and replugged it in and the red light turned green.  My 360 then powered back up.  I need to buy a backup 360 soon but bleepin MS won't drop the price yet.

JasonPratt

I picked up a slightly used PS2 (which had been packed away) from an Amazon reseller earlier this year when my old PS3 finally died. I've been too distracted by other things to play with it; and to be honest I feel like I'll only be disappointed, because man that PS3 was good at upscaling old PS2 games. :(

So Sony has already burned me once on backcompat. ;)

I'd want to know what kind of warranties a refurb'd PS2 had from Gamestop.

If I had a 360 with a goofy power brick, I'd either try finding a new power brick (in case that's the problem -- transformers do wear out sometimes) or else play on my PC until 360 prices dropped.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!