HOI III (Their Finest Hour) AAR - Going it alone

Started by undercovergeek, August 20, 2013, 05:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

^Yeah, and if memory serves me, that Big Red Bear has just now figured out how to start building a kick-ass tank. It might be time to put those German scientists and engineers you bought and paid for to work.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 11, 2013, 07:46:17 PM
^Yeah, and if memory serves me, that Big Red Bear has just now figured out how to start building a kick-ass tank. It might be time to put those German scientists and engineers you bought and paid for to work.

Absolutely - and recruit some cannon-fodder foreign legions from the conquered lands.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

I vote for consolidating previous Roman territory in Africa first. (Without ticcing off Britain or... who else is in Africa right now? You own the Dutch, I think.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 12, 2013, 07:03:20 PM
I vote for consolidating previous Roman territory in Africa first. (Without ticcing off Britain or... who else is in Africa right now? You own the Dutch, I think.)

me, vichy france and the UK - theres a lot of mopping up to do in Africa

OJsDad

Geek, I just found this AAR the other day.  Very well done.  In fact, I liked it so much, I went out and purchased HOI 3 yesterday.  Well, that and the fact that the entire HOI 3 collection cost less than $11 on Amazon right now :)

I was surprised you attached Germany and not Russia.  I was thinking that you would maybe go through Turkey and take out Russia's oil fields.  But I like what you did even better.

I"m also kind of surprised that the UK never landed forces in Europe when you were invading France/Germany. 

Isn't Persia an Axis member.  Are they still allied with Japan.  If not, I would think that would be a very nice target.

Very well done.  Give me a little time to learn the game, and I'll be posting my own AAR.  I'm already working out the high level details in my head.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

undercovergeek

thankyou very much OJsDad - like you i was inspired to play the game by a brief AAR by our very own Silent Disapproval Robot as France

In every game like this i always fear Russia, its just so vast! The British lent air support all throughout the attack on northern Germany, but i suppose the AI had difficulty knowing what to do as i wasnt an Allies member

The game is still ongoing, ive just taken a short break to figure out what the hell to do next - all roads point to London but its suicide with the US an Allied member already - i may need to review exactly how much damage was done to the Russians and consider that too

Hope you enjoy the game as much as i did

bob48

Just a thought here Geek. Without the UK as a base, just how much of an immediate threat would the US be?

Trying to stage a large scale invasion of mainland Europe directly from America is a bit like Italy invading Japan (sort of).

Its a threat which is on your doorstep - can you afford to leave the UK alone?

....I for one welcome our new Italian overlords.........
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Mine didn't even start out as an AAR.  It just kind of morphed into one as I was using the forum as a kind of sounding board/learning tool/venting outlet as I learned to play the game.  Hope you have fun with it OJsDad.  I found it a bit overwhelming at first but eventually got the hang of most of it. (supply still remains a bit of a mystery to me.)

OJsDad

Geek, I don't know your exact situation, but if you go after England, I would target their African/Middle East colonies and try to starve her.  Do you have enough sub force to blockade England.  I know you don't have the bombers for the job. 

One quick question.  What is a good country to start with to learn the game.  I was thinking the US, but wasn't sure.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

I always start with something small, like Yugoslavia or Romania.  Italy is a good place to start, too.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

FWIW, lots of folks say Brazil is a good starting country. Canada might be good as well. You got lots of ocean protecting you but you also can get in on the European and Pacific fights by helping Great Britain.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

yeah, a bit like CKII, it depends on how much you want to do and are comfortable with - i found italy really good, lots of action, can stay out of Axis and go your own way, because the game is programmed to kill you as the Axis, its not quite sure what to do with you as a neutral so you can go a bit off the beaten track