GTA 5 Makes $800 Million in First 24 Hours

Started by mirth, September 18, 2013, 07:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

W8taminute

That's stunning considering the game has a large footprint and video pop ins if not installed properly.  I'll probably get this game but I'll wait a month when it hits the bargain bin at 3 units. 

I know I'm being harsh but this was a disappointing week game release wise for me.   ;)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grimnirsson

This game blows everything I ever played completely out of the water, this is the first time I feel really being in a gangster movie playing the main role (rather three main roles), it's incredible what Rockstar has done here. The gfx is great given the sheer size of the world where you can go anywhere without ever seeing a loading screen, that there's no anti-aliasing is true, but it's not a problem, you won't notice it after this masterpiece of a game has sucked you totally in. Do not wait to play this, go and get it now and thank me later :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

W8taminute

^It certainly is.  I was wondering something.  Grimnirsson have you installed the second disk to a thumb drive?  If so do you notice any graphical glitches?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Grimnirsson

And I was rather reserved in my recommendation...I have no time to praise it more because I have to go back and play it :P

The second disc is not to be installed, Rockstar was quite clear on this point. You 'play' the first disc and that starts the install process, then it says "switch to second disc" which you put in and play the game. Installing the second disc too, creates a bottleneck situation for the 360 when the gfx is streamed, so that causes problems. I don't have the 2. disc installed on a USB stick, I play with the disc in my drive and have no problems (apart from the already mentioned fact that the game has no anti-alliasing, so the typical flickering is there, but only at daytime and when you have the world expanding at the horizon e.g. when you drive over the Autobahn :) ) Really, it's not something that gets in the way here, I can live with that - what Rockstar achieved here technically on the old hardware is a miracle. And I have never been in such a living and completely convincing world, never played a game that is like this. And I play many games... :)

www.homefrontcenter.de

mirth

Damn. I haven't bought a new console game since Mass Effect 3. Might have to take the plunge.

W8taminute

Ok Grimnirsson.

You have convinced me.  I will have to buy this game now based on your recommendation.  I have heard from Gamefaqs forums that if you install the 2nd disk to USB drive then you don't have to listen to disk tray noise as well as it's wear and tear and you don't have graphic issues.  Just an FYI.

Grimnirsson

@mirth,

go for it, there are still many good and even great games (Dark Souls 2!!!) in the pipeline for the Xbox but this is the swansong title for the 360. And starting October 1st, this huge world of crime and fun will also be available online and then there's not just this living breathing city Los Santos and the wonderful area around it, but also 16 human players around...

Check out this preview on the online mode...you don't want to miss that fun, do you? ;) And the sooner you get the game, the better, because it's quite complex at first you can do a lot of things and the buttons have several functions and all, so feeling at home in this world, when it opens online is helpful I suppose.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/424264/gta-online-first-look-rockstars-persistent-online-world-is-its-most-ambitious-project-in-years/

@W8taminute,

well, I think we are quite close in our 'gaming taste' and I hope so far all my recommendations were helpful to get a few cool games into your drive - this is a game you will enjoy I'm sure ;)

Btw, the game has some built in features regarding friends, leaderboard competition etc. and GTA Online will add the crew feature of Rockstar Social Club. Hiimori and I have just for the fun of it started a crew named 'Legio XIII Gemina' - Motto: Pia Fidelis!  because this adds some aspects to the game (more XP, special achievements, bonuses, coop stuff and all) and so we thought it would be fun. I looked for your name on the Social Club roster to send you an invite to the Legion, but your gamertag was not there...

If anybody else wants to join, just say so :)
We are not going to play this like the hardcore crowd with party chatter, training sessions and so on we just add this feature for the fun of it and will see what happens, I mean if it's that great as the previews say, we should use all tools available to get rich and badass in online Los Santos  ;)

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

Yes our gaming tastes are indeed similar that's why I trust your judgement.  You have indeed recommended some great games to me in the past and they will keep me busy for quite a while until I'm ready to get a PS4.  :) 

I'll pick up the game during my lunch break today.  Maybe I'll suddenly feel very sick and go home, you know what I mean?   ;) 

The next question I was going to ask you was if you were going to start a group on GTA Online but seems like you have already.  I will of course join you when I get the game.  It will be interesting because we can buy a house and our characters can live there no?  How many cars will we put in our garage? 

undercovergeek

Quote from: W8taminute on September 20, 2013, 05:46:34 AM
Yes our gaming tastes are indeed similar that's why I trust your judgement.  You have indeed recommended some great games to me in the past and they will keep me busy for quite a while until I'm ready to get a PS4.  :) 

I'll pick up the game during my lunch break today.  Maybe I'll suddenly feel very sick and go home, you know what I mean?   ;) 

The next question I was going to ask you was if you were going to start a group on GTA Online but seems like you have already.  I will of course join you when I get the game.  It will be interesting because we can buy a house and our characters can live there no?  How many cars will we put in our garage?

let us know what you think - i may be tempted for some light relief

Grimnirsson

Well, I now have all three characters available, have been playing for about 16h and have seen merely 22% of what the game has to offer according to the statistic. And since the GTA Online missions will be new stuff to do, not the Single Player missions playable for more than one person,you get some gaming bang for your bucks.  From what I read on the interne at launch there will be 500 Missions or more available and Rockstar creating more after that to keep the game alive for a long time...
It's insane how great the missions are, the story is one loud laughter for me, I have so much fun, you Americans will recognize your country :P
The characters are really different and you actually start playing them according to their different personalities (and the third one, Trevor, is a psycho without limits, it's a helluva fun to be him ;)) and so these three folks give you a completely different experience, it works perfectly. Hard for me to put down the controller actually :P

@W8taminute,

it depends on the size of the garage ;)

That's me as Trevor (your Trevor might look different of course!) , having some fun with folks who thought they could fuxx around with me...a selfie done with my ingame smartphone, the fire was just too beautiful...and it helped a lot with the corpses ;)

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

^Trevor does sound like a pyscho.  Fire is always good!

Picked up my copy and now I just have to wait until I get home to play. 

mirth