Mookham(?) A Football Manager 14 AAR

Started by KyzBP, January 02, 2014, 05:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyzBP

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 06, 2014, 08:23:17 AM
Thanks for making that one screenshot larger, KyzBP. Much easier to see.  8)

Also, I think I might give the demo a try. I found the manual online also (http://www.footballmanager.com/manual/) so I'll be reading through it. While I'm interested in this game, as you've said there seems to be a butt-ton of minutiae that can each make or break an organization, and wrapping my head around all that will be the biggest challenge.

I'll try to increase the screen size from here on out.  Sometimes there's just a lot of pertinent info though.
Don't let the minutiae scare you off.  You can delegate the stuff you don't understand, much like Distant Worlds.  There are a bunch of fan based websites for this game.  Some provide guides and explanations on how to play.  Here are a few:

http://www.fmscout.com/c-guides.html
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/forum.php
http://sortitoutsi.net/articles/category/151/football-manager-2014-guides

If you explore the websites you can get an idea of how customizable this game is.  You can't go wrong with checking out the demo.
Most of all, thanks for following along.

KyzBP

"Look at that Max, we survived September."  Hans was back to his jovial self.  It was comforting to see.
"WE?  More like I.  When the wheels finally finish coming off this wobbly wagon it's ME they're going to sack.  They'll probably give you a new track suit and a Half-Off One Pint coupon for the pub next door.  Heck, the pub will probably start letting you in again."  I just couldn't see the glass being half full or containing any liquid at all.
"Nope it's we.  Do you remember the 10k I took to the bookie at the start of the season?  That was our transfer money for this season.  The Board just found out.  It's definitely we.
I don't know why but I felt a little grin of my own starting to creep across my face.

This how the month ended.  We managed to pick up another point against a team that was supposed to clobber us.

Here is where we sit at the end of September.  We are in the relegation zone but the team seems to be coming around.

Unfortunately, the Board is not amused by our management style.

And here's where the EPL sits at the end of September.

Sorry I can't make all the screen shots bigger but some of them just don't want to adjust.

KyzBP

"Alright Hans we have to do something quick, something drastic."  I had finally pushed the panic button.
"What do you have in mind?"  Hans actually seemed interested in what I had to say concerning football.  It was a first.
"I think we need to bench Zylski.  The players have no confidence in him and I can't understand a thing he says."
"Ok, Max.  Lets do it.  Go tell him."  I could suddenly see that I just jumped feet first into my biggest fear...having to bench someone,
and not just anyone but the non-English speaking Keeper.  Does the fun of management ever end?

After narrowly surviving the months of August and September, we started October off in the entirely wrong direction.
I have to make a change and right now this one makes the most sense.  I've realized also that since changing formations
I'm missing both an AMC (Attacking Midfield Center) and a DM (Defensive Midfielder).  I need to do some signing...and fast.

KyzBP

"Another month down Hansy."  It looks like we have turned the corner.
"Well done.  Sacking Goalski, or whatever his name is, was a good piece of business."  Look at that, a compliment from Hans.
"You deserve as much credit for signing our Midfielders.  Having two sixteen year olds in the Starting Eleven will surely increase their value.  We do plan on selling them, right?"
"Let's wait and see how they develop.  They may keep us moving up the ladder."  Hans was no less optimistic than on the first day of the preseason.
"I think a pint is in order and I know just the place".

We redeemed ourselves after benching the Polish keeper.  After accessing our limited choices to fill our midfielder positions, I narrowed it down to two teenagers with a lot of promise.
They didn't disappoint.  Everything seems to be gelling.

We're beginning our climb out of the cellar.  If we can continue to put together some good results we may be able to reach the playoffs.

And, of course, the Premier League.  Sunderland have fallen having not posted a win in nearly 2 months.  Liverpool is finally headed in the right direction.

KyzBP

"Good morning Mr. Head Coach.  Are you ready to continue our run?"  Hans seemed immune to the effects of an all nighter hosted by the previously discriminating pub next door.
"I may have to tele-commute this match Hans.  I know some coaches sleep in their offices but this can't be why."  I was putting the team on auto pilot for this match.  I know I made little difference in the outcome of a score line anyway.
"Did you see the League stats this morning?"  Seriously Hans?
"Unless it was posted in the bottom of my waste basket I probably missed it."  I wonder if Gus will empty that.
"Take a look at what Rob's been doing."  I had to admit the 37 year old Striker had been quietly making a big impact on the team and the league.
I pray he can keep the pace.

I really just wanted to show the pre match screen.  I thought they added some nice touches to it. 
Rob Haworth has made quite an impact in the 6 weeks he's been with the club.  Remy has also been crucial in feeding Haworth.  I like where these two are headed.

KyzBP

"We have to win some games Hans.  These draws aren't helping much."  I was getting concerned once again.
"As long as we avoid any losing streaks, Max, we'll be fine.  Don't worry.  Look how we're doing in the Trophy.  We've already exceeded expectations.  We're as safe as houses."
"A house of cards or a straw house or an out house."  Despite our Trophy run, we still were barely moving in the League.  Things like that don't go unnoticed. 

We seem to be losing momentum.  Our FA Trophy win against Farnborough netted us a cool $4k which was desperately needed.  Then we took on Welling, a mid-table Skrill Premier club.
We surrendered to an away draw with them after leading until the 89th minute.  The good news is we now get them at home.  The bad news is our team will be exhausted when we
return to league play and we can't afford anything holding us back right now.

KyzBP

And a quick look at the Premiership as of 11/30.

Liverpool's climb from the cellar seems to have stalled but Sunderland may be on the road to recovery.
What bothers me is Arsenal's sudden downward spiral.

bayonetbrant

As long as Newcastle are ahead of Sunderland, yer alright by me, kid!  ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

KyzBP

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 06, 2014, 04:59:00 PM

Without giving anything away, I think you'll be pleased with Newcastle's position as of April, which is where I'm at now.  The AAR is a few months behind.

bob48

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 06, 2014, 04:59:00 PM

Whey, aye bonny lad. Awa' th' toon.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

KyzBP

"Dammit Hans, tell me you and Rob had something to do with this!"  I was furious beyond words except the four letter kind.
"I don't know what happened Max.  Something's fishy though."  I wasn't sure I fully believed Hans.
"Either the team just gave up on us or the bookies got to them.  I can't explain it any other way."
"I'll look into it but I really haven't heard a thing."  Hans was becoming less and less convincing.
"It wasn't the whole team, it was your buddy Rob and his new life partner Ellis.  The didn't so much as look at the other Keeper."
"I'm telling you Max I'll look into it."  And with that Hans headed down the hall.

I honestly thought we were going to win this match.  The defense was playing lights out and the keeper was standing on his head.  However, the guys up front
were completely disinterested in taking a shot.  Our ONLY shot came at around the 110 minute mark.  Absolutely brutal.

undercovergeek

what formation did they play to shut you out?

KyzBP

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 06, 2014, 05:47:33 PM
what formation did they play to shut you out?

Just a 4-4-2.  I honestly don't know what happened.

KyzBP

A quick look at our uniforms:

River Birch Brewing was what I named my little home brewery.  ;D

KyzBP

"I just got done talking to the Board, Max.  What the hell did you do?"  Finally Hans was showing some emotion.
"I accused them of fixing that Trophy match.  It's the only thing that makes sense."  It made sense to me at least.
"ARE YOU NUTS???  They'll sack you for sure.  What did they say?"  Maybe Hans didn't have anything to do with the fix.
"Before or after I accused them of rigging the game?"  Hans, again, seemed genuinely interested.
"Listen Hans, everyone knew we were going to win that game even though they were a league above us.  I accused the Board of wanting their 10k back and
shutting down our strikers to get their money.  I saw Matlock do it, or something close to that."
"Max, the Board told me to reign you in or you're gone.  This is NOT what I had in mind when I started this team.  It was supposed to be fun."  Hans said while avoiding eye contact.
"The Board told me I had to pick up 3 wins in the next 5 games or it was back to goat milking or whatever I was doing before I donned this track suit."  I really didn't want to go back to goat milking.
"We can do this Max.  It's a matter of principle now.  The Board are my friends but I won't let them treat you like this.  We'll fix this"  Like a Trophy game I'll bet.

After the Trophy loss the Board put me on a short leash.  The next 5 games...or less :-\ are going to be nail biters.