Main Menu

PS4

Started by Jarhead0331, January 08, 2014, 10:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2014, 08:18:53 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 09, 2014, 07:26:44 AM
BF4 purchase imminent?

I have it on pc already. I don't see any reason to by it again on  a console.

yeah, my only reason for doing it was all my colleagues were on PS and not PC

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 09, 2014, 08:28:30 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 08, 2014, 03:18:32 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 08, 2014, 01:22:43 PM
Whereabouts is your casa? ;)

New York metropolitan area, regretfully.

I was born in Rochester but my family didn't stay long. Always wanted to get back up to NY. I almost took a job a few years back just across the Hudson in Jersey, but the place was way too expensive - I don't think I would have been able to afford a refrigerator box.

Let us know what other games you get and your opinions - I'd be curious to see how well you think it's developing as a gaming platform. I'll probably get one eventually, maybe in the next couple of years.

You must have been looking in Hoboken or Jersey City, I'd imagine.  My wife lived in Hoboken when I met her. Yes, extremely expensive, but a great place to live if you have means.  Anyway, I'm a Texan, so I have natural predisposition to try to get as far away from NYC as possible. So far, I'm failing pretty miserably.

Anyway, there are some really good looking games on the horizon...most notably, infamous: Second Son. I think eventually, the PS4 will be a good investment with a lot of longevity. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2014, 09:32:16 AM

You must have been looking in Hoboken or Jersey City, I'd imagine.  My wife lived in Hoboken when I met her. Yes, extremely expensive, but a great place to live if you have means.  Anyway, I'm a Texan, so I have natural predisposition to try to get as far away from NYC as possible. So far, I'm failing pretty miserably.

Ridgewood, actually. I guess that's technically across the river from NYC. The salary was good but not good to maintain two places to live or to commute back and forth weekly.

Plus it was a gaming company, and I'm skittish of working for one full-time as they hardly ever last and are prone to frequent shake-ups in personnel. Part time or freelancing, no problem. Full-time, not so much. Still, it was tempting.

I've been in the Houston area for over twenty years now. While I like Texas, Houston sucks for commuting and population density but you can't beat it for cost of living for a city of this size. I have fantasies about living in Montana where there's one-light towns and no need for papers.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2014, 07:10:02 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on January 09, 2014, 01:58:37 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 08, 2014, 10:21:01 AM
My PS4 (late holiday present from wifey) is being delivered TODAY! Tonight, I sink my teeth into Killzone. Stay tuned for overall system impressions.

Hey! Mine got delivered today too! I also have Killzone, so we should MP. My handle is CythUllu.

Nice! I think I'm Jarhead0331. LoL

So, here is the thing...Killzone seems pretty cool so far, but I'm not totally blown away. It looks nice, but not awe-inspiring and it plays like just another console shooter. Not really sure what I expected. Anyway, I know it takes time for software developers to learn the hardware and really take advantage of it so we'll see what happens. However, there are really only a handful of games on the horizon that I'm looking forward to and they don't start popping up until late March at the earliest and then much later in the year. I suspect I won't get much use out of the system until then.

In the meantime, I do really like the general PS menu and it seems like it has been drastically improved over the PS3. I also like the look and style of the actual box. Very sleek and the light bar is really badass.

I feel the same way. I also picked up FIFA 2014, because I wanted a sports game, Madden was not as well reviewed, and I don't much care for basketball. Be sure, if you have the PSN sub, to grab Don't Starve and Resogun for free out of the store. I suspect we will see more free indies and such coming down the pike.

I'm looking forward to Infamous: Second Son, and will likely get the console version of Thief. After that, there seems to be only about one a month or so. Still, the PS exclusives look stronger than the Xbox ones (although I would have liked Forza). I will probably pick up Injustice: Gods Among Us (Mortal Kombat with DC characters?!) and Need for Speed: Rivals as they drop in price.

This is my first non-Nintendo console since the Sega Genesis.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

Quote from: son_of_montfort on January 09, 2014, 04:21:13 PM

Quite frankly, I was pleasantly surprised to see that you got a ps4.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2014, 05:17:43 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on January 09, 2014, 04:21:13 PM

Quite frankly, I was pleasantly surprised to see that you got a ps4.

Well, I wanted a Roku-style device to play online TV and movies, but that cost $100 alone. I really wanted the gaming ease of the console and the big-screen experience. I *might* of gotten an XBox One, but did not feel like paying an extra $100 for a mandatory camera device and the PS4 exclusives are better.

I figured it was time to "graduate" to a more mature console. I also intend to migrate certain games like Witcher 3 and Thief to the PS4. I'm debating which version of The Elder Scrolls Online I want.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

The overall Killzone experience is improving and I am quite enjoying it. Definitely a solid game so far.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 12, 2014, 02:57:50 AM
The overall Killzone experience is improving and I am quite enjoying it. Definitely a solid game so far.

I am terrible at this game (and it is hard). Need to push through and figure out tactics and such.

Also, I want to punch anyone who says "console games are dumbed down" in the face. The move list for Injustice and FiFA 2014 require some deep thought and practice.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

Quote from: son_of_montfort on January 12, 2014, 03:53:30 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 12, 2014, 02:57:50 AM

I am terrible at this game (and it is hard). Need to push through and figure out tactics and such.

One thing that adds to the difficulty is the low light level of many of the maps. They are just really dark and its frustrating that special ops of the future do not seem to have night vision. The red eyes of the Helghast do make killing them in the dark much easier though!!!

Make sure you properly utilize your OWL. I find that little drone invaluable.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

Quote from: son_of_montfort on January 12, 2014, 03:53:30 PM
...Also, I want to punch anyone who says "console games are dumbed down" in the face. The move list for Injustice and FiFA 2014 require some deep thought and practice.

Thank you for mentioning this.  Today's console games are not what they were yesteryear.  There are no mario and luigi games today.  Today's console games offer just as much if not more challenge than a PC game.  It's good to keep your mind open and broaden your horizons.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk