Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front

Started by Asid, March 03, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Much as I love the Graviteam games, I really do not love the fact that so many of the DLC campaigns for Mius Front and Tank Warfare recreate engagements between infantry divisions. Infantry combat is the weakest aspect of the Graviteam games -- it is (IMO) the one area in which CMx2 is still clearly the superior game.

I don't need everything to be the battle of Kursk -- indeed, I know there is 0% chance Graviteam will ever do Operation Zitadelle, given their allergy to famous engagements -- but I do want campaigns that emphasize armor or combined arms, since that is where the Grav. games so clearly shine.

RyanE

I actually don't find the infantry a weakness at all, especially around entrenchments and support weapons.

I want to emphasize how much I like AT guns in GT, almost all the versions.  I can't put my finger on it, but it feels a lot more like how I read about it in the books.

Tuna

Picked this one up at the end of the sale.  <:-)

sandman2575

Quote from: RyanE on September 03, 2018, 09:46:53 AM
I actually don't find the infantry a weakness at all, especially around entrenchments and support weapons.

I want to emphasize how much I like AT guns in GT, almost all the versions.  I can't put my finger on it, but it feels a lot more like how I read about it in the books.

I agree that the guns (AT and arty) are handled really well, as are the mortars.

Still, I find infantry in general way too suicidal and squishy. It has never appeared to me that the Grav. games model morale or fatigue all that well. Tired / low morale units seem to function pretty much the same as fresh / high morale.  Tell a squad to rush an entrenched position, and they'll happily banzai their way along, taking crazy casualties.

They also seem to run out of ammo really quick. And their AT capabilities often seem non-existent.

Moreb

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 03, 2018, 08:56:32 AM
New Raid DLC released today....$5

Dang. I was waiting for this and busy. Thanks
When dongles fly? - mirth

RyanE

Its 1942 and 1943...AT is non-existent except ATG, a few ATRs, and a rare kill with grenades.  All seems very historical.  These were the years of tank scare on both sides.

I have units panic, run away, and refuse orders in every scenario.  That includes getting pinned.  You just have to look hard for it.

PanzersEast

Just finished the Dawn of Blau DLC Campaign.  I pushed them back to the Oskol river, however it took all six turns.  I did inflect heavy causalities on their side, however it ended in a draw.  I assume that even though I made the push and was able to drive them back, but their objective was to impede my advance gaining time for the retreat of the RKKA units.  Thus, the six turns allowed them to delay me long enough.  It was hard trying to cut them off because of waiting for my tanks to catch up and the narrow map.... but, overall it was fun.

One thing I have found I love about this game is that if your next battle on a map that you fought on before, you will find destroyed tanks, units, etc... strewn about the battlefield.  That is a really nice touch.  I even had fires in the distance...... and I just picked up the new DLC... I have a lot to work through.

sandman2575

Quote from: RyanE on September 03, 2018, 12:31:40 PM
Its 1942 and 1943...AT is non-existent except ATG, a few ATRs, and a rare kill with grenades.  All seems very historical.  These were the years of tank scare on both sides.

Good point -- I'm too used to the '44 timeline in CMx2, where panzerfausts and bazookas are everywhere and infantry are a major threat to armor in the right conditions.

I fired up Mius Front a couple of weeks ago and was very confused by the new "Battlegroup" deployment mechanics -- ??  I guess I should take a look at the updated manual.

RyanE

I have always thought that that was the hidden issue a lot of "traditional" wargamers have had with the GT games.  It has a more realistic view of combat on the eastern front.  Its rare for JSs and Tigers to be slugging it out.  If armor is likely to show up, its halftracks.  There is little organic infantry AT capabilities so you have to be a lot smarter in your tactics and setups.

Is that boring and frustrating sometimes...yes.  But it really does give you a flavor of what real commanders dealt with.

RyanE

This might have been posted before, but gives some insight into combating tanks with '42-vintage AT tools.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1272579814

Most of it is common sense stuff if you play CM early war stuff from CM1, but it also gives some game play insight for GT games.

sandman2575

Thanks for the links, Ryan. 

I've taken a long break from Mius Front / Tank Warfare -- but this discussion and the release of "Raid" have me planning to fire it up again.

jomni

Quote from: PanzersEast on September 03, 2018, 12:50:42 PM
One thing I have found I love about this game is that if your next battle on a map that you fought on before, you will find destroyed tanks, units, etc... strewn about the battlefield.  That is a really nice touch.

Good old Close Combat did that as well.

RyanE

Quote from: jomni on September 03, 2018, 08:54:10 PM
One thing I have found I love about this game is that if your next battle on a map that you fought on before, you will find destroyed tanks, units, etc... strewn about the battlefield.  That is a really nice touch.

And the point...I am missing it.

Moreb

Quote from: jomni on September 03, 2018, 08:54:10 PM

Oh yeah. I remember using them as cover. I played the hell out of CC back in the day. I can't remember which one it was but I always loved the Arnhem version. Plucking down mortars from a hidden area was great. Gamey but fun at the time. I couldnt go back now but I did have some great MP fun with the series.
When dongles fly? - mirth

-budd-

Just came across a new tutorial for Mius, done Sept. 4. Off to check it out.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwwacMv-IjQ  its for the combat portion.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.