Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front

Started by Asid, March 03, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

I'm amazed at the amount and pace of YouTube videos being uploaded by users.

-budd-

So anyone know how to get a tank to area fire?  I was assaulting and an enemy contact marker showed up, an at gun. I couldnt get the tank to fire at the area, set target priority didnt work. My tank could see the marker, just couldnt get it to fire at the area even after the gun was firing at my other tank.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

sandman2575

Quote from: -budd- on March 08, 2016, 09:28:11 PM
So anyone know how to get a tank to area fire?  I was assaulting and an enemy contact marker showed up, an at gun. I couldnt get the tank to fire at the area, set target priority didnt work. My tank could see the marker, just couldnt get it to fire at the area even after the gun was firing at my other tank.

I think only a platoon commander can order area fire for the whole platoon. I don't think there's a way (like in Combat Mission) to order an individual AFV to fire on a specific location. The platoon commander has a button that looks like 3 'inbound' shells -- this is the area fire command (also the command for mortars and light field guns, or AT guns).

-budd-

Thx it was slow but seemed to work. What do the numbers in the ring mean when you set the area fire? any idea. But no the game doesnt need a manual :coolsmiley:...right

Asid

First update - March 2016

Added
1) Expanded the organizational structure of tank battalion on British tanks in quick battle (added Mk3 tanks and T-60/70)
2) Added an interactive preview of the expected platoon composition in quick battle, in platoon properties (Ctrl+left click)
3) Modified parameters of the algorithm of squad and vehicle selection depending on the reinforcement strategy
4) Expanded the infantry and rifle unit reserves in quick battle
Changed
5) Updated the user guide
6) Adjusted the default order modifiers
7) Changed designation of solid and subcaliber projectiles in the statistics
8) Changed the algorithm of vehicle movement in case of getting stuck
9) Adjusted the rules of indicating incompatible movement and formation modifiers in the radial menu
10) Changed sounds of burning grass
11) Changed icons and tactical purpose of some squads
Bugs
12) Fixed several bugs that led to game crash during operation
13) Fixed bug in formation of the line formation, which led to vehicles and soldiers bunching-up
14) Fixed several bugs in soldier behavior and animations
15) Fixed a bug with machine gun of KV-8 tank
16) Fixed bug which caused blocking of operation tutorial with enabled control of Allied forces setting
17) Fixed bug which caused miscalculation of squares occupied after battle (always in favor of the player)
18) Fixed damage indication in the statistics
19) Fixed the drawing of the division symbol on PzIV F/2 turret
20) Fixed bug which caused the bogging down of some tanks (e.g. Mk2)
21) Reduced rain intensity in the deployment and initial orders modes
22) Fixed several bugs that led to corrupted saves in tactical battle
23) Fixed bug which caused soldiers to run out of trenches
24) Fixed bug that blocked the drawing of tactical diagrams for some vehicles
25) Fixed bug which caused an incorrect detonation delay in the shell fuses
26) Fixed a bug with hooking guns to SU-152 and KV-1S and mounting of their crews
27) Fixed locations of some destroyed vehicle hulks remaining on the battlefield in operation (Pz-IV, Marder, etc.)
28) Fixed incorrect postures of gun crews on the deployment stage
29) Fixed incorrect splitting into sections for motorized infantry on M3A1 APC
30) Fixed a bug with heavy weapon crew assistants running out of formation
31) Fixed displaying of user missions in the list

War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

sandman2575

Quote from: -budd- on March 08, 2016, 10:39:50 PM
Thx it was slow but seemed to work. What do the numbers in the ring mean when you set the area fire? any idea. But no the game doesnt need a manual :coolsmiley:...right

The numbers have something to do with how well the spotter (platoon leader) sees the target, I think, and possibly the margin of error in terms of how far off shots may fall from the target (in meters?) -- Don't quote me on any of that though. Also, you may know, but as with artillery spotting, you can click and drag the 'area fire' into a line of fire rather than just a spot.

The thing I'm puzzling over (one of them anyway) is how Reserves are supposed to work in the campaign. I think I've figured out reinforcements -- which is that, unlike Op Star, you can't just pick a vehicle or squad to fill an empty spot in your platoon -- you have to specify the type of unit you 'hope' to get (anti-personnel, anti-tank, etc.). and presumably that gets filled if the platoon is within proximity to the battalion or regimental HQ (?).

But the Reserves option confuses me. It seems to allow you to 'flip' platoons from Reserve to Active at will, but this doesn't seem to have any effect on the strategic map (?). Also, do units in Reserve act as reinforcements for active units -- i.e. do they get cannibalized to fill out active casualties?  Hmmmm....

-budd-

I knew about drawing the lines for area fire for arty, never dawned on me to use it for unit area fire, thx. I m staying with the quick and edited battles until I get a full grasp on things before I jump into the campaign , reserve, resupply stuff. Hoping by then a someone will do a guide. I reloaded APOS to play quick battles on different maps for change. Hope they port the new control menu back, I find the new UI easier.

undercovergeek

so.

close.

to.

purchase.

need to overcome the learning curve

-budd-

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 09, 2016, 04:30:27 PM
so.

close.

to.

purchase.

need to overcome the learning curve

Honestly I find the new UI easier, the basics are easy to pick up. I also play without the new orders system to made it easier. Dont think you'll have any problem moving,attacking,recon, and other basics for battles. The other campaign stuff, resupply, replacements might take a bit of learnin.

Moreb

moved
When dongles fly? - mirth

RyanE

I find the basics to play a quick and small battle fairly straight forward.  But once you get into anything beyond "move here" or "fire there", the lack of documentation starts to become apparent.  There is much good stuff in this game hidden in opaque references and tool tips, I almost cry.

And tool tips...they are awesome.  If there is one thing as a noob I would lift from MF and put in a CM game, its tool tips.  Did I mention that tool tips are awesome?

panzerde

Quote from: RyanE on March 09, 2016, 07:56:36 PM
I find the basics to play a quick and small battle fairly straight forward.  But once you get into anything beyond "move here" or "fire there", the lack of documentation starts to become apparent.  There is much good stuff in this game hidden in opaque references and tool tips, I almost cry.

This is pretty much where I am with the game. I may give it some more time this weekend, but I have too much other stuff going on during the week to spend hours decoding how this is supposed to play.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mikeck

I love these games but it is completely puzzling as to how they could have spent this long developing this game and such little time on an actual useful instruction manual. Instead all we get is a giant appendix telling us what little symbols mean
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jomni

Quote from: mikeck on March 09, 2016, 08:41:29 PM
I love these games but it is completely puzzling as to how they could have spent this long developing this game and such little time on an actual useful instruction manual. Instead all we get is a giant appendix telling us what little symbols mean

Documentation is really a pain and you really want to spend your precious time doing code and improving the program.

Moreb

Quote from: jomni on March 09, 2016, 09:20:05 PM
Quote from: mikeck on March 09, 2016, 08:41:29 PM

Documentation is really a pain and you really want to spend your precious time doing code and improving the program.

As someone who is a huge supporter of Graviteam I find that answer to be lacking. A better manual is both needed and warranted.
When dongles fly? - mirth