Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front

Started by Asid, March 03, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WYBaugh

Quote from: Moreb on March 09, 2016, 09:29:33 PM
Quote from: jomni on March 09, 2016, 09:20:05 PM
Quote from: mikeck on March 09, 2016, 08:41:29 PM
I love these games but it is completely puzzling as to how they could have spent this long developing this game and such little time on an actual useful instruction manual. Instead all we get is a giant appendix telling us what little symbols mean

Documentation is really a pain and you really want to spend your precious time doing code and improving the program.

As someone who is a huge supporter of Graviteam I find that answer to be lacking. A better manual is both needed and warranted.

That's why you hire a technical writer and not have the developer write it.

-budd-

Well after a few games and DLC you would think a decent manual would be already on hand.  The "manual" just seems to mostly name things rather than explain them. I do find it worth the effort. Its moments like below when an ambush comes together make it worth it. It was random mission and with some helpful advanced recon i set up a kill zone and manged to get everyone in place in time for the enemy to walk right into it. Those are my fire lines and then a close up of the carnage.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

panzerde

What Jomni said, while not a great answer from a business or customer service perspective, is exactly the attitude that most software developers (and IT people in general) have. They don't want to write manuals, they want to make a game or other software. There isn't a perception that proper documentation is part of the entire deliverable.

The answer of course is to hire a technical writer to do the documentation, but that costs money.  Trying to write the manual in multiple languages costs even more money. Small computer wargame shops don't throw off a ton of cash.

That doesn't mean that I don't agree that there ought to be a better manual; quite the contrary. The lack of one is just about enough to cause me to swear off any further Graviteam games, despite how atmospheric they are. I do understand the thought process though. I've dealt with it most of my career.

If you want to see a great counter example, take a look at the work David Freer and team have done on the Panzer Battles series of games, or Ed Williams has done on the WWI Campaigns games. Take a look at the superb documentation our own Capn Darwin and his team have produced for Flashpoint Campaigns. It can (and should) be done. If Graviteam had even half of what those teams produced, they'd have a much more complete product.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

RyanE

I am at a point that I would pay someone extra to include even a well done PDF manual.  I don't need fancy graphics, historical background, or company background.  Just give me something that tells me how to play the game.  Give me something that explains the advanced features that are more than a cross reference for icons.

As to "they want to keep improving the game"  Its great to add stuff that no one will ever use because they can't find it or figure it out. 

This game is cheap at $35.  Charge me $50 and give me a real PDF manual.

Moreb

What Id pay for also is an improved editor where you can place units on the map, place trenches, initial orders, things like smoke, artillery barrages, wrecks, depleted individual units, Units already in contact, far away units, smaller and bigger maps, named and placed VP's etc.

Its a shame we cant save our battles to share after the Placement Phase. That would help some but evidently, those saves are hardware dependent. 

BTW, great pics budd
When dongles fly? - mirth

-budd-

I'm hoping for some parameters to set in the random battles i.e. size, force mix, mission type and so on. When i set up my own some of the surprise is ruined by knowing what im facing. Thats why i hope people will share there battle creations when they set up a good one.

jomni

Purchase points and opponent random selection would be great.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Just started the first campaign.  God damn, that's a lot of units to keep track of!  my first battle was just chaos even though I was on the defensive. 

Moreb

I've yet to start a campaign. Heck, I haven't worked out how spotters function in the game. Quite different from APOS.

Hofstadter

Made a tutorial if anybody is interested
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Moreb

A Good Day To Die

Small, quick battle. Played as Germans

There are enough tanks to carry your infantry except for the mortar crew and possibly make it to the Victory Location via the main road before a coordinated attack from the enemy arrives.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/y1bb0r

Unzip in your Data/Common/Shared/Missions folder. If you do not have the Mission folder create one and unzip it there.

Moreb

Quote from: Hofstadter link=topic=9462.msg432618#msg432618 date=1457663443

/quote]

Thanks. Checking it out now.

-budd-

Here's a Quick battle i put together... Called Head On ....You play as Germans.  Place your TRP's wisely. Tried various different settings for the AI, curious to see how it does. Zip attached, unzip to your mission folder. > :\Steam\steamapps\common\Graviteam Tactics Mius-Front\data\common\shared\missions  if you dont have a mission folder create one. Looking forward to some feedback. i used groups and paths and different mission objectives to try to get the AI to do what i wanted.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Hofstadter on March 10, 2016, 09:30:43 PM

Thanks, and recoded for better forum posting.  8)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Our Aggripa Maxentius is trying to work up some video tutorials, too.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!