Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front

Started by Asid, March 03, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Hofstadter

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Asid

Hotfix - August 8, 2016
8 AUGUST   

1) Fixed displaying of contacts sprites on the map.
2) Changed the rate of vertical camera rotation in the map mode.
3) Adjusted camera operation in the map mode and the switching of camera from the map to 3D mode and vice versa.
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

Hotfix 2 - August 8, 2016
8 AUGUST   

1) Changed name of the attack company of the forward detachment of 336 ID in Dawn of Blau.
2) Changed composition of vehicles in AT battalions of 336 ID in Dawn of Blau.
3) Protection from removing DLC when verifying Steam cache.
War in Pieces

Asid

New update - August 15, 2016
15 AUGUST   - GOBLIN949A

1) Right-clicking on the map and searching a unit reduce the distance by 2 times in the 3D mode.
2) Fixed a bug which caused the game to crash with installed DLC after changing the game language.
3) Fixed a bug with incorrect shielding of a fragmentation field for visible crews and gun and vehicle crews.
4) Fixed a bug with the game ending after loading a save, if AI proposed a cease-fire before saving.
5) Fixed a bug with pauses of 10+ seconds when individual units execute a sequence of orders.
War in Pieces

Asid

New update - August 17, 2016
17 AUGUST   

1) Fixed a bug with different indication of ability to capture neutral squares in the operational phase and in the battle briefing.
2) Fixed a bug with erroneous objects appearing instead of uniform on infantry.
3) Fixed a bug with wrong display of the number of obtained achievements.
4) Fixed a bug with occurrence of a battle which includes squares located on the border.
5) Fixed a bug with non-disappearing button for automatic changing of strategies for battalion or unit, if the unit (battalion) has at least one encircled platoon.

New update - August 30, 2016
Community Announcements

1) Fixed a bug with abandonment of vehicles without opening hatches in some cases.
2) Added the timeline of appearance of platoons in quick battle (machine guns and AT guns of various modifications).
3) Added light ATG organizational structures to quick battle editor.
4) Added the 1175 tank company organizational structure from 11.41 to quick battle editor.
5) Added a few new platoon icons on the map (T-60, MkII, etc.)
6) Added DS-39 heavy machine gun.
7) Added locking of the right mouse button in the training operation.
8) Changed the sound of firing of the American .30 Browning machine gun.
9) Fixed a bug in the encyclopedia with bad choice of camera reference point when selecting more than one vehicle.
War in Pieces

Asid

New update - September 6, 2016
Community Announcements - Goblin949A

1) Duplicates in the assigned keys list are being marked.
2) Added memorizing of the selected vehicle in the encyclopedia.
3) Platoon composition in the quick battle editor is fixed (except for variations within the same modification).
4) Changed font rendering, added support for higher resolutions.
War in Pieces

Philippe

Mius front and attendant DLC's is on sale on Steam this week.

I really like the way it looks, but I had trouble relating to the earlier (pre-Mius front) incarnations of the game.

Are the Mius front games any easier to learn and get into?  I have too many games gathering dust as it is.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Rayfer

Quote from: Philippe on August 28, 2017, 01:50:13 PM
Mius front and attendant DLC's is on sale on Steam this week.

I really like the way it looks, but I had trouble relating to the earlier (pre-Mius front) incarnations of the game.

Are the Mius front games any easier to learn and get into?  I have too many games gathering dust as it is.

Ditto your experience with the earlier games and your questions.

mikeck

Well, I love the graviteam series of games. Won't even touch combat mission any more. The graphics and details increase with each incarnation. BUT, they aren't any easier or harder to learn. If you can invest in some time to learn them, it's rewarding. There is no better real-time WW2 tactical game (plus 1980's Angola and 1970's afghanstan)
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Agreed. This is a system that must be experienced. The learning curve is no steeper than any other game in the genre, but the UI is different and does require some learning and time to get comfortable. Is it worth the investment? YOU BET!

No other strategic/tactical wargame has provided me with more stand-out events that have stuck in my memory. The visual impact of sudden contact in the dark of night. The emotional shock of seeing crew members bailing from their vehicles as they run and flail about on fire. The attention to detail in men, equipment, vehicles and behaviors of projectiles is unique in the trade.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Boggit

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 28, 2017, 04:45:28 PM
Agreed. This is a system that must be experienced. The learning curve is no steeper than any other game in the genre, but the UI is different and does require some learning and time to get comfortable. Is it worth the investment? YOU BET!

No other strategic/tactical wargame has provided me with more stand-out events that have stuck in my memory. The visual impact of sudden contact in the dark of night. The emotional shock of seeing crew members bailing from their vehicles as they run and flail about on fire. The attention to detail in men, equipment, vehicles and behaviors of projectiles is unique in the trade.
Although I'm a dyed in the wool Combat Mission fanboy, Graviteam is a refreshing change. I especially love the night missions with the flares - I even close one eye as gut reaction to preserve my night vision! And you're right it does make for some memorable gaming.

I still think that Combat Mission needs to have that strategic layer that Graviteam has, but I guess that ain't happening any time soon.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

sandman2575

The thing that increasingly puts me off about Combat Mission is the truly horrific UI. Graviteam's UI gets a lot of grief, but especially with the latest iterations in Mius Front and Tunisia, the UI has become really very good ... *once you understand it* (that's the big proviso). It's true, the game does too little to explain the finer points of the UI, so there's not much recourse beyond watching some YouTube tutorials and trawling forums. But once you get the hang of it, you will see how much more fluid and easy to use it is than Combat Mission's incredibly outdated and clunky UI.

The lack of a strategic layer is also a big strike against CM, I agree.

Ubercat

The biggest strike against CM is their bullshit DRM. I'm sick and tired of having to start new helpdesk tickets to play the games I paid for. I don't care how friendly and helpful they are. I shouldn't need their help in the first place!

The biggest strike against Graviteam, AFAICT, is that their system can't handle any kind of urban fighting. It's all out in the countryside.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Zulu1966

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 31, 2017, 10:16:58 PM
The thing that increasingly puts me off about Combat Mission is the truly horrific UI. Graviteam's UI gets a lot of grief, but especially with the latest iterations in Mius Front and Tunisia, the UI has become really very good ... *once you understand it* (that's the big proviso). It's true, the game does too little to explain the finer points of the UI, so there's not much recourse beyond watching some YouTube tutorials and trawling forums. But once you get the hang of it, you will see how much more fluid and easy to use it is than Combat Mission's incredibly outdated and clunky UI.

The lack of a strategic layer is also a big strike against CM, I agree.

Well - I sort of agree with the point about CM UI - for getting things done with even a company sized action it is clunky and labour intensive.
That said - it is much better than the Graviteam one - if only for the simple reason it is understandable - say to give an area fire command. Target ... pick spot click.
despite at least 4,000 attempts to understand it and numerous videos / read the manual I still dont get how to do that in graviteam games. So saying a UI is better when it is completely and utterly opaque as to how it works is something of a contradiction.

Campaign layer is good - but again - at least 5,000 attempts later - I still have no clue as to WTF is going on. It may be a very pretty game with great physics etc - but if it unintelligible then dispute how its a good game. Also find the TAC AI as unintelligible as the interface sometimes. And yes agree post below - anything other than wide open spaces seem a problem.

Bought all the games but generally make an effort every few weeks  to get to the bottom of it but then quit and play combat mission.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.