Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front

Started by Asid, March 03, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glen55

Ya know, I bought the whole game with all expansions 2 or 3 years ago on a Steam sale and barely ever even fired it up. I don't know that I have the patience I had back when I obsessed over CMBO. I would walk the whole battlefield before a battle checking fields of view and looking for defensive positions and ambush spots. Can't picture doing that now.

I just checked it in my Steam library. Still there. "You've played 12 minutes."  :2funny:
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Pete Dero

Quote from: glen55 on August 30, 2018, 10:02:26 AM
Ya know, I bought the whole game with all expansions 2 or 3 years ago on a Steam sale and barely ever even fired it up.
I just checked it in my Steam library. Still there. "You've played 12 minutes."  :2funny:

NPD Group announces that consumer spending on videogames in the U.S. is up 40% in the first half of 2018.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/193105/us-video-game-spending-up-40

Noticed how they mention more spending on games and not more playing games  ;D.

Moreb

Ya know, I bought the whole game with all expansions 2 or 3 years ago on a Steam sale and barely ever even fired it up. I don't know that I have the patience I had back when I obsessed over CMBO. I would walk the whole battlefield before a battle checking fields of view and looking for defensive positions and ambush spots. Can't picture doing that now.

I certainly do not have the patience I once had, especially when I was CMBO obsessed. I must have played both of those beta demos 500 times each.  :-\
Taking the time to find the best spot is my least favorite part but also the games most important imo. The good thing about MF is that there is so much less micromanagement. Order a platoon and it will direct it's squads. Order an AFV to travel to a location by road and it does a good job of moving to the road and down it to its destination.

I'm not sure if you know this but now, on the menu screen at the bottom right, is a option to quickly set up a smaller battle on the fly with a point system and simpler orders. In a few minutes, and a few choices, a great battle can be had with unknown enemy forces. If you ever want to try out the game I suggest trying that mode. Again, the options in game are streamlined so youd be missing some real control, but it's a great way to check out the system.

Lastly, just put your guys almost anywhere and let it play out. You'll be amazed at how the battles unfold and the realistic nature of the game. It really is worth the effort.

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 30, 2018, 01:51:20 AM
i did end up purchasing, what the heck...just add more stuff to my library:)

just curious, any of the dlc must haves at the moment?  i may wait on that stuff until future sake and make sure the game clicks with me.

Yes. Black Snow for a good winter one. The next DLC is going to be winter again where they introduce accumulating snow and drifts and more. The weather aspect of MF is great. Storms will blow in blotting out the sun with increased cloud cover and rain will pour.  In the options menu, you may want to learn the game disabling the Improved Orders System.

Again, just give it a go, lose and learn. It takes a bit to grasp, and that's just the tactical part. Not to mention the Op phase and reinforcements etc.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Moreb on August 30, 2018, 07:31:00 PM

I certainly do not have the patience I once had, especially when I was CMBO obsessed. I must have played both of those beta demos 500 times each.  :-\
Taking the time to find the best spot is my least favorite part but also the games most important imo. The good thing about MF is that there is so much less micromanagement. Order a platoon and it will direct it's squads. Order an AFV to travel to a location by road and it does a good job of moving to the road and down it to its destination.

I'm not sure if you know this but now, on the menu screen at the bottom right, is a option to quickly set up a smaller battle on the fly with a point system and simpler orders. In a few minutes, and a few choices, a great battle can be had with unknown enemy forces. If you ever want to try out the game I suggest trying that mode. Again, the options in game are streamlined so youd be missing some real control, but it's a great way to check out the system.

Lastly, just put your guys almost anywhere and let it play out. You'll be amazed at how the battles unfold and the realistic nature of the game. It really is worth the effort.

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 30, 2018, 01:51:20 AM
i did end up purchasing, what the heck...just add more stuff to my library:)

just curious, any of the dlc must haves at the moment?  i may wait on that stuff until future sake and make sure the game clicks with me.

Yes. Black Snow for a good winter one. The next DLC is going to be winter again where they introduce accumulating snow and drifts and more. The weather aspect of MF is great. Storms will blow in blotting out the sun with increased cloud cover and rain will pour.  In the options menu, you may want to learn the game disabling the Improved Orders System.

Again, just give it a go, lose and learn. It takes a bit to grasp, and that's just the tactical part. Not to mention the Op phase and reinforcements etc.

Thanks, definitely will consider...

RyanE

I hadn't played GTM in a bit and figured I would give it a shot.  I have a new laptop with i7 8th gen CPU with a 1060.  GTM is so incredibly smooth.  Even in a large test battle, it never went below 45 fps.

That is direct contrast to CMBN that, in a medium-sized scenario, plays at 25 when the camera is static.  As soon as I start moving the camera, its 18-20.

While I really like CM, being able to see a game take full advantage of modern PC capabilities is satisfying all on its own.

glen55

Appreciate the post, Moreb. Maybe I'll give this beast a shot.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

GDS_Starfury

I really need to spend a weekend and learn how to play this.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

stolypin

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 31, 2018, 02:36:07 PM
I teaaly need to spend a weekend and learn how to play this.

Same here.  I too own the game but have never played it.  I'll fire it up, click around a bit, realize I don't know what to do, and then make a quick retreat to CM. 

Moreb

Quote from: glen55 on August 31, 2018, 02:34:23 PM
Appreciate the post, Moreb. Maybe I'll give this beast a shot.

You're welcome glen. I don't post often but, this site is my go-to place for all things games.

Toonces

<raises hand> another one with Graviteam in my library but almost no playtime.   :-[
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Moreb

Quote from: Toonces on August 31, 2018, 05:57:39 PM
<raises hand> another one with Graviteam in my library but almost no playtime.   :-[

It's a damn conspiracy!

It doesn't help that the documentation isn't the best.

That said, it really isn't too complicated in the tactical phase. You place orders much like CM but within those orders are sub orders that determine how it will perform your wishes. For example, with a Move order you can also have them do it covertly, in line column with tight spacing. Or Assault, using smoke by road with tanks to the front etc. Once you figure out the correct combination of orders, most anything is possible, keeping in mind that the units perform the orders to the best of their ability/skill/condition.

CM has a lot more specific control over infantry units, especially those inside structures. And CM has multi player, something that has always drawn a lot of players. While GT is only single player, it's a hell of a ride. The battles fit together in a large operation with troops that carry on, learn, die, are replaced often times over a landscape that continues to change through the ravages of war. Some areas are a stalemate where the battlefield shows the scars of many days of fighting. Shellholes and trenches remain where they were and destroyed structures stay destroyed. Throw in a desperate night battle or two and you almost feel sorry for the little pixelated bastards. Almost.

As a note, they changed the camera the other day and imo, it doesn't function half as smooth as it did before the update. Sometimes they go backwards but usually make things right fairly quickly. I hope the devs reconsider this latest change.

CAMERA FIXED

SirAndrewD

Same here.  Own it, about 14 minutes of play. 

I also own Tank Warfare: Tunisia and haven't even booted it.   

Do the two have overlap?   Can I learn how to do Mius-Front from Tunisia? 

I do need to dig into these.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Moreb

They are the same game in different theaters. Tank Warfare has some HUGE battles that may be a little cumbersome for newer players. It's been a while since I fired up TW so I can't talk about it much. I'm just more of a European Theater fan. But yes, Tunisia plays the same. At times they may update the one before the other but have parity within a short period of time. 

Jarhead0331

Half the time I just move my units to contact and then watch the fireworks...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Moreb

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 31, 2018, 10:02:44 PM
Half the time I just move my units to contact and then watch the fireworks...

That must have been a Nipsy Daiser with a scooter stick.