Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front

Started by Asid, March 03, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreb

Quote from: jomni on October 06, 2018, 12:48:42 PM
Quote from: Toonces on October 06, 2018, 11:59:22 AM
Damn, that Operation Modular DLC looks super tasty.  I might buy Mius Front just to get that!

It may be the first DLC I'll buy for my (shelved) Mius Front. :D

YEAH? I think Operation Raid is incredible for 6 bucks. I love the snow maps.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Moreb on October 06, 2018, 11:34:44 AM
Sorry. Down at our cabin this weekend and just now saw this.

I really appreciate the reply! I broke down and bought it. Just navigating the tutorial is challenging, but I'm enjoying it so far. Much good stuff here, and in your post - thanks again.

Moreb

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on October 06, 2018, 01:11:00 PM
Quote from: Moreb on October 06, 2018, 11:34:44 AM
Sorry. Down at our cabin this weekend and just now saw this.

I really appreciate the reply! I broke down and bought it. Just navigating the tutorial is challenging, but I'm enjoying it so far. Much good stuff here, and in your post - thanks again.

You're welcome

I'm not sure how well the tutorials have advanced because when I played them they were very lacking. I believe they've been improved but if you need any advice, and I know the answer (I still suck at the hobby I love the most), just fire away.

That box on the bottom right of the menu screen is the come into battle mode. Entry level and lacking MANY core features, it can be a great tool for beginners that want to actually play a small battle to get the feeling, however limited.

88mmkwk

Quote from: -budd- on September 04, 2018, 07:47:52 PM
Just came across a new tutorial for Mius, done Sept. 4. Off to check it out.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwwacMv-IjQ  its for the combat portion.

The new YouTube Mius Front tutorial is amazing stuff - clear, concise and easy to follow.

I've been holding off on the move from Op Star to Mius Front but had been not looking forward to relearning the UI changes.  This video makes me want to take the plunge.

Should be required viewing for all new players.  Combine the video with a PDF of the rulebook up on the screen at the same time, and the learning hurdle is much lower.

:bd:
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

Moreb

Moreb

Michael, tell me what think after a few rounds of the campaign. There certainly is a lot to learn and some things that probably seem foreign to you but if you are looking at historical accuracy, this game does a great job. You know any game that features wire layers on the map is going to have a curve. Spotters matter. Hotkeys are your friend. Language barriers and lacking documentation are the enemy.

This game is a diamond in the rough. Warts and all. I look forward to your educated and honest opinion.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Moreb on October 06, 2018, 07:47:35 PM
Michael, tell me what think after a few rounds of the campaign. There certainly is a lot to learn and some things that probably seem foreign to you but if you are looking at historical accuracy, this game does a great job. You know any game that features wire layers on the map is going to have a curve. Spotters matter. Hotkeys are your friend. Language barriers and lacking documentation are the enemy.

This game is a diamond in the rough. Warts and all. I look forward to your educated and honest opinion.

Just watching the tutorial video linked above - and seeing lots to like. I miss the old days where computer games came with keyboard overlays and player aid cards...but always something a person can do for himself. Ironically, given the discussion of the last couple days - I have to give kudos to BFC for that Shock Force mousepad/player aid - I am still using mine 10 years later. :-)

Moreb

If you're tired of learning and just wnt to see some good footage of the game in action I highly recommend this video

Personally, the older I get the less desire I have to learn new systems. I forgot about that mouse pad. Great marketing. Much more useful than that massive map poster for Matrix World in Flames. The damn thing was like 8ft by 30ft or something. A freaking mural.

I've said it before but it bears repeating, especially to a seasoned CM player. This isn't CM. It doesn't try to be. It's a whole nother beast. They complement each other not compete IMO. I'm just not sure how much of a crossover there is.

EDIT it is actually 9ft X 21ft. Most people do not have 9ft walls. I think I've said all I need at thus point. Seems like I have hijacked the whole thread. Sorry for that.

sandman2575

Wow, I'd love to know Warsimmer's system specs to get Mius Front to play that silky smooth on such a large-scale battle. I've tried some of the large-scale "Battlegroup" battles that can easily become battalion-sized engagements, and my PC starts chugging something fierce, dipping down to single-digit FPS (which is unplayable).

Michael Dorosh

I have to admit, the game looks and sounds gorgeous, very cinematic as noted above. Very immersive, the sounds are extremely well done - I like the airbursts and ricocheting tracers and different flares and overall feeling of sound. Veterans accounts always talk about how 'loud' a modern battlefield is, and you really get that impression from watching that, like the whole world is pressing down on you.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Moreb on October 06, 2018, 08:29:58 PM
EDIT it is actually 9ft X 21ft. Most people do not have 9ft walls.

That's hysterical. I couldn't even fit that in my garage.

Moreb

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 07, 2018, 09:10:27 AM
Wow, I'd love to know Warsimmer's system specs to get Mius Front to play that silky smooth on such a large-scale battle. I've tried some of the large-scale "Battlegroup" battles that can easily become battalion-sized engagements, and my PC starts chugging something fierce, dipping down to single-digit FPS (which is unplayable).

In the comments he states he has a 1080 gpu an I-7 7700 with 16 gigs of ram and he uses 4k when he can. I run an I-7 6800k water cooled 1080 with 32 gigs of ram and my game doesn't look that good even on a new $900 1080p 32 inch curved monitor.  His darker shades and shadows look excellent. I wish I knew what to do to make mine so pretty. I'm guessing it's the 4k. Maybe i screwed up and should have gotten a 1440p monitor? Even his smoke billows look more pronounced.

From what I understand CPU is the greatest resource used for good frame rates. Either way, his setup produces the best quality I've seen.

Gusington

I really want to get in to a game like this. What do you guys suggest as a starter pack, and then what do you suggest to teach myself the basics? Seems like the tutorials have mixed reviews.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Moreb

Quote from: Gusington on October 07, 2018, 10:37:13 AM
I really want to get in to a game like this. What do you guys suggest as a starter pack, and then what do you suggest to teach myself the basics? Seems like the tutorials have mixed reviews.

Well the first thing is to have a system that can run it decently. I'd buy the base game and jump straight in to the operation. Blindly move units forward and play out a battle. Learn the UI  through trial and error and asking questions. One of the biggest early hurdles is learning how the modifiers to the orders work together. For instance, you can give a move order to a squad, platoon, company or any number of units on the map. Within that order you can also use modifiers to have infantry advance behind afvs, use smoke, move covertly, in a wide grouping, in lines, following a road all in one command for example.

There is also a setting that is called Realistic Orders I believe it's called that when turned off doesn't constrain units from following orders in a sense. If it is on, more complex orders are harder to implement depending on the commander and situation. Also try to play with limited battle radius. It makes for smaller scale engagements but has some drawbacks too.

Also, there is the Come Into Battle mode that is for beginners but be warned. You lose a lot of control.

So my advice is to fire it up, muddle your way through it. Ask questions, look at online video tutorials, play the in-game tutorials and slowly get a grasp of the game. Is it complex? Yes. But it can also be played and enjoyed  while not knowing much and exploring and learning as you go. It's not like some massive chit pusher where you have days invested on a turn where it is completely necessary to understand before playing. Just try it and push on. Enough of the tactical part is intuitive to enjoy. You'll want to learn more. As I've said before in this thread, I tried it a few times, shelving it and then finally just pressing on. Today, it's my favorite title to date, warts and all. Believe me, it has its share of blemishes. Most things do.

That tutorial posted above is damn good. You just don't need to overload yourself at first. Muddle through.

Don`t hesitate to ask here or over on the Steam forum Gus. People are very happy to help.

-budd-

Quote from: Gusington on October 07, 2018, 10:37:13 AM

Just start with either Mius or Tunisia, not Opstar. There on sale pretty often, the whole Tunisia pack was just on sale for just over $14.00, i'd wait for a sale.

When you do jump in i'd just play the "jump into battle" option, icon on the lower right of the screen. The orders are simple, with the modifiers already set for orders. It's a good way to learn/play the battle portion.

Here's some links. The first one is long,but if you watch it on youtube there's timestamps to click to jump around the video.

every bit of info helps get more out of the game.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.