Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front

Started by Asid, March 03, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 05, 2019, 09:17:35 PM
Quote from: mikeck on March 05, 2019, 08:56:45 PM
Now I'm tempted to go on an asked for a western front DLC

Do it! And ask if they can make the game Free to Play while you're at it!
Well I suppose there is Tunisia, but the 'Free to Play' got me laughing. :2funny:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Moreb

I'm down with a cold now so I really don't have an appetite to play a game that requires a lot of thinking ala MF but I have read the comments here and there. Personally I like the idea of creating a more realistic situation in regards to units moving at and in the near front. Andrey talked about the chess-like aspect of the operational phase being unrealistic and I agree. Graviteam has pushed the envelope on what the game does for a long time and contrary to the belief of some here, they have reversed course from customer feedback. i.e. the UI on the side of the screen (thank God)

I actually look forward to seeing where this goes but my wish is that it was more fleshed out before committing all players to it. I'm not sure if they run a beta process, but I'm sure it was tested in house. How they didn't realize the problems they were creating is beyond me but I have every bit of confidence that what they end up with will be a step towards realism. That is what I'm after.

I can't argue with the complaints about the manual. I wish someone in house or otherwise could create a clear and concise document that is laid out like what we would expect. It just seems so convoluted. I'd be more turned off if there was ANY game similar to this.

When dongles fly? - mirth

Moreb

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 05, 2019, 06:19:16 PM
Just saw this -- the same rules do *not* apply to the AI, which frankly makes my cynical take on this move more credible:

"For AI, most of such restrictions do not make sense, as it moves after the player.
His restrictions are made in another way. More are in the area of combining battle groups and following the scenario of the operation. Unfortunately, such restrictions are not yet applicable for the player."

I don't have a problem with this as the AI on the Op map seems to be scripted in certain aspects. I get it. They are trying to be more historical which cannot happen with the player doing things that are ahistorical. Andrey has stated many times that the AI does not cheat on the tactical side which I appreciate. My concern is the last sentence where it is implied that the players ability to shape the operation might be challenged in the future by an autonomous mechanic. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but the fact that we do have an operation phase id one of the reasons I like it. Otherwise I may as well fumble through an uninspiring CM small battle.

Moreb

Just fired up the game and I agree. I do not like this in its current form and wished they could have isolated this idea to a campaign that wasn't just released. The map and assets are intriguing and it's a shame that this issue is clouding what might be the best dlc they've released in quite some time. Under the current (new) update I cannot even rotate my units that have been locked in terrain no commander would send them. Broken at this point.

I would not recommend this game that I love so much until they fix it.

sandman2575

It's baffling, honestly. This new DLC is a slam dunk. Terrific new content. The game -- including the much-maligned (unfairly, IMO) UI -- has been refined to a very high level at this point. Why they would go and f**k this all up by adding what they must have known would be a very controversial feature -- especially when it appears to work like crap -- is beyond me. I've liked G'team's refinements toward realism -- for example, the more advanced orders ('command points') features, the introduction of battlegroups, etc. etc.

This newest gamewrecking feature is 10 steps backward. If it were anyone besides Graviteam, I'd have some hope that the devs would listen to the negative reaction and reconsider. G'team will not reconsider. They may (and already have to a small extent) make some tweaks, but this is here to stay. The concept may be interesting, but the way they've implemented it is rubbish.

jomni

Staggered arrival like how Steel Division does it would be neat. But random appearances sucks.

Hofstadter

I got a taste of them fixed positions too. In the new dlc there is a mined train line outside the town. I moved my tanks up, two of the groups spawned across the tracks in a column. I tried to reverse them out but they got butt blasted by my own mines
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

-budd-

Haven't played with the new update yet but I like the idea and direction. It does seem the execution is lacking at the moment, Andre did say it was a first attempt, and I'm sure they work out the placement thing. I can see the possibilities, and they are intriguing, more varied battle types. With all that being said, I'm always for letting players play how they want , not how a developer wants them to play, a toggle would be nice.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

-budd-

New update 3/23/19- the post in the link explains it better than the patch notes.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/312980/discussions/0/1849197902658346271/

They made some changes to that new feature and right now you can disable it, but Andre says the ability to disable it is temporary.  No surprise there, Graviteam sure does support there games and they don't pander to the masses, if they feel its right for their games they put it in. Like the features or not but you have to appreciate the fact their constantly working and trying to improve their game system. I'm in the camp of giving the player the option to play how they want, but more often than not i like what their trying to do.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Moreb

Quote from: -budd- on March 24, 2019, 12:55:48 PM
New update 3/23/19- the post in the link explains it better than the patch notes.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/312980/discussions/0/1849197902658346271/

They made some changes to that new feature and right now you can disable it, but Andre says the ability to disable it is temporary.  No surprise there, Graviteam sure does support there games and they don't pander to the masses, if they feel its right for their games they put it in. Like the features or not but you have to appreciate the fact their constantly working and trying to improve their game system. I'm in the camp of giving the player the option to play how they want, but more often than not i like what their trying to do.

I haven't played since the update really since I have been sick and then busy at work. Tomorrow morning I leave for an out of town commercial job so none then. I'm glad they decided to have the option to opt out until they can create a full featured implementation of this addition. I think it will really add to the realism once they expand on it but, as it has been released, I did not care for it at all and, in fact, I think it really botched things up.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Moreb

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 26, 2019, 01:42:29 PM
...and another DLC ninjaed its way onto steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1057070/Graviteam_Tactics_Fateful_Strike/

Thanks for the heads up. I purchased it although I havent played the games since they changed the op phase with the last DLC. Have they worked out the wonky way that reinforcements showed up after moving? At the time it totally ruined the experience for me.

acctingman

Question for you professionals out there.

Which has the steeper learning curve?....Mius-Front or the Combat Mission games? I'm well aware of all the DRM issues (and others) about the Battlefront games.

I tried Combat Mission a couple years ago and was horribly frustrated with the learning curve. Since then, I've matured  :crazy2: and I think I'm ready to give it another go.

Jarhead0331

Mius Front...but only because the UI is a little non-traditional and might take some getting used to. That being said, if you're also not used to Combat Mission, then you might not notice a difference.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Moreb

Quote from: acctingman on April 26, 2019, 03:07:12 PM
Question for you professionals out there.

Which has the steeper learning curve?....Mius-Front or the Combat Mission games? I'm well aware of all the DRM issues (and others) about the Battlefront games.

I tried Combat Mission a couple years ago and was horribly frustrated with the learning curve. Since then, I've matured  :crazy2: and I think I'm ready to give it another go.

I replied to your pm some months ago about this very subject. See it for my thoughts acctingman.

There is no equal to MF.