Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front

Started by Asid, March 03, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Quote from: Moreb on April 26, 2019, 04:11:06 PM
Quote from: acctingman on April 26, 2019, 03:07:12 PM
Question for you professionals out there.

Which has the steeper learning curve?....Mius-Front or the Combat Mission games? I'm well aware of all the DRM issues (and others) about the Battlefront games.

I tried Combat Mission a couple years ago and was horribly frustrated with the learning curve. Since then, I've matured  :crazy2: and I think I'm ready to give it another go.

I replied to your pm some months ago about this very subject. See it for my thoughts acctingman.

That's right, thanks for the reminder. I think I'll wait for a sale and nab it. Can't hurt.

There is no equal to MF.

Moreb

So what are the games you do play and enjoy?
When dongles fly? - mirth

mikeck

Quote from: acctingman on April 26, 2019, 03:07:12 PM
Question for you professionals out there.

Which has the steeper learning curve?....Mius-Front or the Combat Mission games? I'm well aware of all the DRM issues (and others) about the Battlefront games.

I tried Combat Mission a couple years ago and was horribly frustrated with the learning curve. Since then, I've matured  :crazy2: and I think I'm ready to give it another go.

I agree with JH. The UI In Mius takes some getting used to and isn't as intuitive. BUT, in my opinion, the graviteam games are far better in gameplay, graphics, immersion and in variety. Learn it and you can play eastern front, North Africa, 1980's Angola, 1979 hypothetical Iran v Russia and even a 1969 fight between China and Russia.

Well worth the time
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Moreb

QuoteWell worth the time

This X's 1000

I have hundreds of hours in game and it still blows me away.

-budd-

I haven't played in quite awhile but read they improved how the troops show up but there still is a lack of control. The new thing is they removed control of some settings, now settings are locked behind the difficulty setting. Meaning you pick this setting, you get a set of locked options and no way to change them.  People complained and I read there going to add another setting option. Kind of bums me out, I don't play with the new orders system, so I'd have to pick the arcade setting i believe to have it off. It's just strange, I'll see how things shake out but I'm not sure I'm going to like where this seems to be going. They sure seem to want you to play the game their way.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: -budd- on April 27, 2019, 12:31:26 AM
They sure seem to want you to play the game their way.

In Russia, person doesn't play game...game plays person.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: -budd- on April 27, 2019, 12:31:26 AM
I haven't played in quite awhile but read they improved how the troops show up but there still is a lack of control. The new thing is they removed control of some settings, now settings are locked behind the difficulty setting. Meaning you pick this setting, you get a set of locked options and no way to change them.  People complained and I read there going to add another setting option. Kind of bums me out, I don't play with the new orders system, so I'd have to pick the arcade setting i believe to have it off. It's just strange, I'll see how things shake out but I'm not sure I'm going to like where this seems to be going. They sure seem to want you to play the game their way.

Yeah,  after spending quite a bit of time with Mius Front and Tunisia, I think I prefer the Achtung Panzer controls.  More hands on IMO.

acctingman

Quote from: Moreb on April 26, 2019, 09:07:22 PM
So what are the games you do play and enjoy?

I'm currently playing Steel Division and loving it. I've played the Battle Academy series and love those too. I tried the CM demo again today and I just don't think it's for me. I wis there was Mius-Front or CM "lite" for people like me  O0

Jarhead0331

^there is...you're playing it. It's called Steel Division.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

acctingman

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 27, 2019, 07:52:29 PM
^there is...you're playing it. It's called Steel Division.
Very true, and I'm loving it!

solops

Good sale going on for this game....
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Moreb

Quote from: solops on May 07, 2019, 07:52:36 AM
Good sale going on for this game....

I started playing again a few nights ago after a couple months of break. Started the latest Campaign, Fateful Strike and the first battle starts before the sun comes out. It is pitch black and only the lights from a couple of probing KV's broke the darkness.They stumbled upon my lines and all hell broke out. My AT guns were ineffective and only bounced off the beasts. When they discerned my positions, they retreated only for the main probing force to come smashing in. I was able to take out a few BT-60's with some AT rifles, but the objective was lost.

A great part of MF is that it slowly began getting lighter out as dawn was breaking. What an awesome and realistic feature. The enemy was content to hold its gains and I have a feeling that as the day goes on the actual spearhead of the enemy forces will hit this sector and continue its push thinking, correctly, that the line is very thin. The battle is over for now in this area and I hope I will have time to reinforce these troops with some viable AT assets before they attack again.

The battle now shifts to another part of the op map and a very large armor presence is expected.

This game is deep. And oh-so incredible. Well worth far more than the $17 and change.

As the sun came up and the fog burns off, this devil roamed at will kicking up dust and belching out exhaust fumes. More added touches...

-budd-

How are you finding the changes they made? Haven't fire the game up in awhile and reading about the changes hasn't given me the urge to play. Especially would like to hear your opinion on the game settings now tied to the difficulty settings.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

stolypin

Quote from: -budd- on May 07, 2019, 11:24:03 PM
How are you finding the changes they made? Haven't fire the game up in awhile and reading about the changes hasn't given me the urge to play. Especially would like to hear your opinion on the game settings now tied to the difficulty settings.

I returned to the CM titles a couple of years ago after a 15 year hiatus.  I had no problem learning the interface.  It's easy, intuitive, and, in my opinion, the best feature of the game.  The Graviteam Tactics games, however, cause my brain to freeze.  I simply cannot learn the system.  The manual, obviously translated from Russian, doesn't help and, unless I'm overlooking them, there aren't many tutorial videos. 

Moreb

Quote from: -budd- on May 07, 2019, 11:24:03 PM

Well to be honest, I'm only on my first turn, second battle so I cannot tell how the 'indirect' option is going to change things. So far I like the ability of giving up some autonomy for a more realistic campaign and I can see why at the highest levels it has been changed. Moving battle groups all around, criss-crossing paths, spamming areas is pretty much a cheat and I was one of the worst offenders. I just wasn't sure how to play it correctly. This system, on the hardest setting, disallows much of that and if you do try to move too much and too far this close to the enemy, you will be screwed if your units are caught in a bad place when the enemy attacks. Now, it looks as if you can move groups on the op phase and choose things like March, Advance, Defend etc that has consequences on the units when battle commences. Still not sure how much though.

I usually do not play with realistic orders but have been doing so in this campaign as the hardest setting makes you play like that. I'm still up in the air if it is a good thing forcing players to give up this to gain that, but time will tell. For example, on the hardest setting, you can no longer control you allies troops. That kind of sucks because you are at their mercy. But maybe its actually more realistic.

I'll tell you more once I get a few turns into it but be warned, I'm a busy boy so this may take a while.

The game itself is still fantastic though and it blows me away to this day. In my second battle, the enemy was bringing forward heavy firepower in the form of guns and artillery when at least 3 flights of Stuka's came in dropping their payloads right on the dismayed troops knocking out more than a few heavy pieces.

They are a spectacle for sure. This one took a few hits