Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front

Started by Asid, March 03, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Man....this game just looks so stunning, but it has a learning curve that's just too much for my tiny brain. I'll stick to the Steel Divisions of the world as that is about all I can handle  :crazy2:

Moreb

Quote from: stolypin on May 08, 2019, 08:41:40 AM
Quote from: -budd- on May 07, 2019, 11:24:03 PM
How are you finding the changes they made? Haven't fire the game up in awhile and reading about the changes hasn't given me the urge to play. Especially would like to hear your opinion on the game settings now tied to the difficulty settings.

I returned to the CM titles a couple of years ago after a 15 year hiatus.  I had no problem learning the interface.  It's easy, intuitive, and, in my opinion, the best feature of the game.  The Graviteam Tactics games, however, cause my brain to freeze.  I simply cannot learn the system.  The manual, obviously translated from Russian, doesn't help and, unless I'm overlooking them, there aren't many tutorial videos.

This may help but I'm not sure what might have been changed. You don't need to completely understand the game to get a lot out of it. In fact, I still learn new parts.
When dongles fly? - mirth

-budd-

It's really not that bad to learn anymore, of course i say that having to re-learn the game every time i stepped away for the first couple of years of play. Some things i still have to look up, like remembering how to separate troops from their vehicle. Maybe i don't have a point at all L:-)

I find the order wheel easier to use and understand. I play the game like i play CO2, set my orders and waypoints and hit go, then make small adjustments. I don't really like the order bar and hope i'm not chained to it by difficulty level. I just wish it had a replay feature like CM games. I always get the feeling i'm missing seeing some cool shit, that's why i usually don't max out the battle size. I enjoy CM games also, but Graviteam games are just more cinematic.......more WOW moments. I still remember the first time my column got strafed, i didn't even know it was a thing in the game and suddenly my German troops are getting strafed by biplanes of all things. It's also pretty cool letting loose with some Russian heavy arty on masses of troops, set your TRP's right and you can bring the down the heavy thunder. 

Moreb, you load up the VAPOSM 2 sound mod? I can recommend it, and it's not that hard to install. Definitely gives the sound effects more punch. https://steamcommunity.com/app/312980/discussions/0/343785574527934279/

Look forward to your opinions Moreb.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

acctingman

That tutorial makes the game seem somewhat manageable.

So, do you issue order and the game "sims" it out? (I'm guessing you can issue new order on the fly)

-budd-

I don't know if your familiar with Command Ops 2 at all, but it's somewhat similar to me. I issue a lot of orders at start with various waypoints and when you hit go the orders are carried out, you can pause at any time. i play without the new orders system, so there's no limit on my orders. If you play with the new orders system, your limited in how many orders you can give in a certain time frame. There's even units laying communication wire if you use the new orders system. No communication or not close enough for hand signals...you can't give orders to that unit.  There's an orders bar that empties and fills to let you know what your order status is. I don't know a ton about it as i play with it off, i want to give orders when i want to. You issue orders and modifiers with the orders, like for tanks...move here, in column formation, along the road. You could just select your whole force and attack and pause and call in arty or air. You have to play like your a higher level of command, a more hands off approach. If you try to micro everything it can lead to frustration, took me awhile to let go of trying to control every unit. I generally don't give orders to single units, except in very rare situations. i think the new orders system was put in the game to keep people from trying to give orders to every single unit individually.

I'll let Moreb talk about the operations map. i haven't played with the new changes and before the patch i played a lot of quick battles i would set up instead of the campaigns.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JasonPratt

Have they fixed the new goofy spawn-in rules at the start of operations? (This was asked upthread, but I don't recall seeing an answer.)

(Naturally I would know the answer already if I wasn't spending my time playing other things...  ::) L:-) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Moreb

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 09, 2019, 02:54:19 PM
Have they fixed the new goofy spawn-in rules at the start of operations? (This was asked upthread, but I don't recall seeing an answer.)

(Naturally I would know the answer already if I wasn't spending my time playing other things...  ::) L:-) )

They are right now optional but I believe this is the direction they are going. Graviteam has improved the 'indirect' mode by giving the player choices of how their units will move on the Op map with the strengths and weaknesses of both playing a part. In my opinion, while reading the manual, it tries to make sense of a very fluid situation. I don't think it is fleshed out enough to emulate real world circumstances and that its effects can be both harsh and arbitrary in its current form. For instance, units that are 'Blocked' during deployment are facing in the general direction of the closest enemy Victory Location. This is the arbitrary part. In reality, depending on the terrain and what the unit was trying to accomplish (such as a unit with the March order), the facing and location would be extremely varied. The Harsh aspect still has this system 'Blocking' units in terrain and at a facing that can influence the entire battle negatively and have an adverse outcome over the whole of the campaign, one that is usually unforgiving in the first place considering the way saves are kept.

TLDR-  It's optional. The new system is going in the right and realistic direction but imo is not there yet.

One of the biggest problems with MF is the Manual. It is light on detail, not organized well, and translated very roughly. I would love to make a proper one but I work with my hands bending nails. You on the other hand....

Moreb

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158490/Graviteam_Tactics_Furtive_Spring/?snr=1_16_16_&curator_clanid=12134250

Graviteam Tactics releases new DLC with 10 operations, 5 from each side. This is a first.

They have also released another free update. It contains some major game changers and also some new tank models. I look forward to seeing how the new operation phase shellings and raids fit into the system.

Update 10/18/2019
1) Added radio intelligence on the operational map.
2) Added flamethrower tank KhT-26 mod. 1933.
3) Added T-26 mod. 1931 twin-turret tank.
4) Added BT-5 tanks of two modifications.
5) Added BT-2 machine gun tank.
6) Added artillery shelling and air raids on the operational map (according to the scenario of the operation).
7) Changed the algorithm for the panic and surrender events.
8) The method of preserving destruction on the battlefield has been changed (old destruction will not be applied).
9) The format of tactical battle save games has been changed (old tactical saves will not work).
10) The interaction of units with previously dug trenches is changed - the unit changes the previously dug trench of the appropriate type in the direction and occupies it. Infantry units occupy any type of trench.
11) Burning tank crews get out of the tank with the opening of hatches.
12) The crew members always runs away leaving the vehicle or heavy weapon.
13) Added the check for a totally destroyed vehicle which causes his crew to abandon vehicle.
14) Free crew members from guns hide in trenches and buildings if possible.
15) Dead zones for vehicles are calculated based on the number of active crew members and the location of observation devices.
16) The radius of voice communication depends on the number of free soldiers (without heavy weapons) that can be used as messengers in the unit bounds.
17) Fixed a bug leading to the deployment of enemy forces outside the active battle zone.
18) Changed user manual.

Hofstadter

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Moreb

Quote from: Hofstadter on October 20, 2019, 04:11:52 AM
good game

lol. Don't think I've ever seen that before. Maybe I just never tried to get close to an enemy AFV? You should post this on their Steam page. I'd like to what andrey thinks about it.

Sir Slash

Could it have been, "The Haunted Tank" maybe? After all it is Halloween.  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Hofstadter

Quote from: Moreb on October 20, 2019, 02:27:30 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on October 20, 2019, 04:11:52 AM
good game

lol. Don't think I've ever seen that before. Maybe I just never tried to get close to an enemy AFV? You should post this on their Steam page. I'd like to what andrey thinks about it.

Bruh im not talking to him hes so weird and aggressive.

Another glitch i saw, but didnt capture. Tried to move one of my pak 38s through a forest, it touched a tree.

The gun, and its all its crew, flew in different directions
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Sir Slash

In Russia, you no plant trees. Trees plant you.  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Moreb on November 06, 2018, 07:43:51 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 06, 2018, 03:45:58 PM
Operation Moduler is released. Africa, here I come.

Thanks for the heads up. Haven't played in a few weeks with work being how it is.

As usual, the DLC is released with a free update. Check out this list. 1-10 are intriguing. First Iv'e heard of these. #7? #3?

1) Added support for auxiliary propelled guns.
2) Added ability to conduct mobilization for the commanders of partisan and national-liberation movements.
3) Added ability to use noise generators to reduce morale of the enemy troops.
4) Added ability for special units to conduct diversions.
5) Added ability for headquarters and command units to disinform the enemy.
6) Added ability to agitate the enemy and win over their soldiers.
7) Added ability to use illuminating bombs in order to keep the enemy soldiers from resting at night, thereby increasing their fatigue.
8) Added ability to organize air supremacy against enemy aviation.
9) Added ability to use transport aircraft for bombing.
10) Added ability to use foreign instructors in order to improve the level of training and morale of allied forces.
11) Fixed a bug that caused AI to not use the reserves in the operational phase.
12) Removed signs of German divisions from vehicles.
13) Added the organizational structure of the South African Army mechanized battalion.
14) Added the organizational structure of various UNITA infantry units.
15) Added the organizational structure of the Angola Army.
16) Added new vehicles: T-55, BRDM-2, Ratel-90, Ratel-81, Ratel-60, Ratel-20, Ratel Cmd, Land Rover with various weapons and without.
17) Added artillery: M-40 recoilless gun, ZU-23-2, "Vector" M3 mortar.
18) Added ATGM "Milan" and "Malyutka".
19) Added new types of air support: MiG-23 and "Impala" attack aircraft.
20) Added MANPADS "Stinger" and "Strela".
21) Added new infantry weapons: FN-MAG and M60 machine guns, R1, AGS-17, .50 Browning on a tripod, LRAC-89.

Got this for 7 dollars in the sale.  Here are some T=55s in the Angolan dust:

Moreb

The game has been updated again. In addition to some fixes and tweaks, if you own the DLC Against the Tide, they have redone the summer map and added snow and its properties to cover a battle in the same locale during the winter of '43 which is also included in the update. A free Op. Yay.

The DLC in question, Against the Tide, has been put on sale for $7.99.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/999550/Graviteam_Tactics_Against_the_Tide/

They really support their product. This is one hell of a series. I've got 750 hours in it and every operation is so different from the others even if much of the equipment was the same. Theyt each have their own unique flow.