The German Empire - HOI3 AAR.

Started by OJsDad, March 07, 2014, 08:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Playing this using the Their Finest Hour addon.  No mods except to change the leadership of Germany.

The last chime sounded from the old grandfather clock marking midnight, February, 15 1944.  The only sounds in the room were from the large fire in the fireplace fighting to keep the cold out and the sound of the wind from the snow storm outside.  Staring out the window overlooking the courtyard, I watch as the gate opens and admits a single staff car.  As it stops at the main entrance a guard steps forward opening the rear passenger door.  A single in individual in an admiral's winter coat exits and walks quickly into the palace.

Turning to face the other men in the room with me, I announce that Erich has arrived.  No one speaks, but a few nod their heads in acknowledgement.   It's been a long contentious day for us.  The decisions we are weighing are not light.

Sitting to my left of the large round conference table is Johann Schwerin von Krosigk, my Prime Minister.  A good quiet, and well organized man.  He really hasn't committed to either proposed courses.  A few in this room think he is too wishy washy since has brought good questions and points in both support and against to two proposals.  But I know he is doing what he has done for me for the last 11 years, and playing the devil's advocate and making sure that those advocating one course of action over the other have indeed done their homework.

Going clockwise around the table next to Johann is General Ludwig Beck, my Chief of Staff.  He has been my Chief of Staff since I came to the throne in 1933.  He has been a leading advocate of manoeuver, having seen the horrors of what happens when your opponents are allowed to dig in.  If either course of action is to succeed, it is because of his vision and leadership in preparing the military to execute that vision.

Seated next is Hjalmar Schacht, my Industry Minister.  A good man that has helped to bring our industry back to what is once was.  His organizational skills have increased our industrial output significantly. 

My Foreign Minister, Constantin von Neurath has been good at his job.  He has gotten several countries into our camp.  There are others that we would like to have in camp.  I think that after we undertake whichever course of action we decide upon, some of the other countries will join us.

Hermann Goring, head of my Air Force.  He has worked tirelessly to make the Luftwaffe a world leader in air warfare.  Not just in equipment, but more importantly in doctrine and training.  There is still some work that needs to be done, but the Luftwaffe is ready for whatever we ask of it.  He always jokes that he would weigh 300 pounds except for all of the work that has gone into building the Luftwaffe.

Sitting straight across me is my eldest son, the Crown Prince, Wilhelm.  Willy as I have always called him.  Sitting there in his colonels uniform.  He had been strangely  silent all day while the arguments raged back and forth.  His position as an instructor at the Imperial War College has allowed him to war game out both options.  I'm therefore surprised he has decided to side with one plan over another.

The seat to his left is empty.  Wilhelm had been saving it for Erich.  I hadn't thought that the two of them were particularly close.  I wonder if this is why he hasn't entered the debate yet.

Continuing one around the table is Joseph Goebbels, Minister of Security.  He is very good at his job.  I do need to keep a bit of a tight leash on him at times as his more radical ideas towards my subjects, seems to wonder back to the realms of that little Austrian corporal.  If he wasn't so good at his job, I would probably of had him replaced long ago.  But as long as he heeds the reminders that I give him and he stays effective in his duties, then there will be no need for it.

Chief of the Army, Werner von Fritsch occupies the next seat at the table.  A leading advocate of armored warfare.  Along with Beck and Goring, Werner has been a leader in developing our tactical and operational doctrines and insuring that everyone from the General Staff down to the lowest private, whether they are in a combat or a support roll understands their place in making any operations we undertake a success.

Finally, there is Wilhelm Conaris, my intelligence chief.  Through his determined leadership  we have a good understanding of our potential opponents strengths and weaknesses.  Especially with the use of electronic intelligence gathering and deception methods.

The door opens admitting Admiral Erich Raeder, Chief of the Navy.  Walking around the table I reach out with my right hand to shake his hand.  "Welcome Erich.  Sorry about having to drag you back here to Berlin from Wilhelmshaven in this snow storm.'

'Quite alright your Majesty.  I just wish the trains were able to run on time in this weather so I could have been here a lot sooner.'

'Well, even the Kaiser cannot control the weather.  But, I can offer you some food and drink'

'I had plenty to eat on the train ride down.  But, perhaps some brandy would help warm my bones back up.'

Releasing his hand I walk over to the counter on the side of the room and pour a large glass of brandy for him.  I can pretty much guess whom in the room disapproves of their Emperor personally pouring a drink for one of his subjects.  Frankly, I don't give a damn if the like it or not.  The day I cannot pour a drink for one of my people with my own two hands because I think it's beneath me is the day I no longer deserve to wear the crown and lead this great nation or her people.

Handing the drink back, I motion for him to be seated.  Coming back around to my place at the table, I stay standing behind my chair.

'So, Erich, we have been debating the merits are starting active operations against either the Russians or the Allies.  There are dangers in both and large rewards in both.  Joseph, Werner, Ludwig and Wilhelm are in favor of going east.  Frankly, with the Russian occupation of Poland and my desire to regain Danzig, I'm leaning in that direction.  Constantin, Schacht, and Hermann are favor of going west and securing the industrial capacity in both France and the Netherlands before turning on the Russians.'

'Taking out Russia has the benefits of giving us all of the riches of that country and keeping them from ever stabbing us in the back. Plus, it would allow me to pay back those murdering Bolsheviks for what they did to Alexander and his family.'

'While the Russians are at war with the Allies over Poland, I'm not sure that they will launch land attacks against Russia.  They would have to launch an amphibious assault somewhere in the western part of the county.  To do that it will take several years to build up the forces needed.  If they try to come from the east, they will be at the end of a very long and vulnerable supply line.  All the while the Russians are pulling back toward their supply base.'

'The main problem with going after Russia first is that our plans call for two Panzer armies.  As of now, we have one.  We have four divisions active now for the second, but it will be this winter before we the entire army is ready.  We would also have to get the panzer brigades formed and to the infantry divisions on the east border and get as many of the infantry divisions transformed into mechanized units.'

'Getting the units ready will cause a delay of one year.  Intelligence believes that the vast majority of the Russian forces are along their western border, which is good for the operational plans that we have developed.  At this time, we have no reason to believe that they will change their deployments.  And, perhaps in that time, the allies will help us out some. 

'If we go against the Allies, with the forces we have available now, we can take the Dutch quickly.  France will be a much harder objective to take.  We would either have to crack the Maginot Line or go through Belgium.  The General Staff does not see a problem with the Belgium military.  But from a diplomatic view point, it may cause some those countries that we're hoping to bring under our guidance to move further away.'

'We're sure that 1st Panzer Army can break through the Maginot Line at a couple of points.  However, the major of the of the French army is close to the area.  How much resistance they'll put up is hard to tell.  But, we will be in a race against time to capture Paris and the major ports before the French forces in Asia can get back and help.'

'While France and the Netherlands would give us a nice boost to our manufacturing base, and give us a jump off point to either invade England, or to launch an air war against their industrial base.  On top of that, if we would have to leave a sizable force in the west in case the Allies should be able to launch an invasion. '

'However, if we succeed, then we may be able to relieve the pressure from Japan and allow them to get back on their feet and become useful again to us.'

'So Erich, what do think is our best option.'
No one in the room could have missed the look that Willy and Erich gave each other.  The look of two boys who had just gotten away with stealing a fresh hot cookie from their mothers kitchen.

'Well,  Majesty.  I'm not really in support of either plan.  If fact, the colonel and I have been working on a plan since the Japanese declared war on the Allies.' Erich stated while he and Willy wore very smug looks on their faces.  So, that's why Willy didn't support either plan.

Groans echoed around the table, and more than one person buried their hands and their hands.  All figured we would be here for several more hours.

Reaching into his brief case, Admiral Raeder pulled out a stack of papers.  Keeping one for himself, he handed the rest to Willy, who stood up and started handing them out to the other.

'Gentlemen.  The summaries that the colonel is handing out is for a plan that we have named Sealion.  The short of the plan is.....'

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Martok

Good read, OJsDad!  Am liking the alternate-history narrative.   

So are you planning to launch a seaborne invasion of southern/eastern England directly from Germany?  Or are you going to grab northern France and the Low Countries as a staging area first? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

No doubt that will be part 2.  ;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

OJsDad

Oh yes.  I hope to have part two up this weekend. 

I know I rushed part 1, but had had played up to that point and cannot wait to get back into. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Quote from: Martok on March 07, 2014, 03:05:16 PM
Good read, OJsDad!  Am liking the alternate-history narrative.   

So are you planning to launch a seaborne invasion of southern/eastern England directly from Germany?  Or are you going to grab northern France and the Low Countries as a staging area first?

You'll just have to wait for the next part, maybe two, to find out. 

Martok

Argh!  To quote Inigo Montoya, I hate waiting.  ;D 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

MetalDog

AAR's are some of my favorite stuff to read.  And this looks like it's going to be a good one.  Can't wait for the next installment, OJsDad.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Maybe "Sealion" means invading another country first with sea lions?  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Martok

And if you believe that, Steelgrave has some lovely oceanfront property next door to his house that he'd like to sell you...  8) 

JasonPratt

... ...... does it have sea lions?  ;D

OJsDad

Ok.  Since Martok was so upset about having to wait, I got the next part completed.  Just so you know, I'm writing now as I go.  I did start the game in 1936, but up until now, it has all been preparing and not much story to tell.

Part II

'Your Majesty!  A message from the Crown Prince' exclaimed Major Lammert as he came bounding into the room where I was trying desperately to keep my mind from thinking too much on what I had started, by playing with my grandchildren.  The major is the head of my personal communications team.  Normally it would be unheard of for him or any other member of his staff to come barging into the private family quarters like this.  However, the entire palace no, the entire country was awaiting this message.  I slowly stood up, holding my granddaughter, Kira, like some kind of security blanket.  Whom ever thought an Emperors should always be fearless and not need a security blanket, should have the misfortune of being in my shoes and live with the consequences of the decisions I've made.

'Alright Konrad, let's hear it.' Somehow keeping the fear out of my voice.  Poor Kira, I'm sure I was holding her too tight.

'Of course your Majesty. '  The major paused a moment as he looked at the message sheet once more.  'Father, General Rommel reports that General Wurrenberg's 3rd Heavy Panzer Division has taken the center of London.  Marines have secured Norwich.  British are attempting to land forces from sea into Dover.  General von Arnim says he will not have any problem repulsing.  Admiral Raeder is taking Battle Fleet and a single U-Boat flotilla into English Channel to engage British ships supporting landing.  Still some units need to be landed but should be completed within week.  End of message.'

Turning to the children's nanny, Helen, I state 'Helen, open up the ice cream parlor, it's time for a celebration.'

'Hold on Helen.  Father, I know you want to celebrate this great news, but it's too close to dinner for ice cream.  And you wouldn't want your grandchildren to get in trouble for not eating their dinner' 

I turn to face Kira, the wife of my second son, Friedrich, whom is serving with a fighter squadron in Konigsberg. 
'Ah, but you forget my dear, I'm the Emperor.  And as the Emperor, I can pardon anyone I like.  Including my grandchildren for not eating their vegetables because of an ice cream celebration beforehand.'  I say with an oversized all toothy grin, with the older kids start cheering, knowing that their grandfather has trumped their mother.

Kira, on the other hand, gives me the evil eye with a smirk while shaking her head.  Gretchen, Willy's wife, and Cecile, my Empress, just giggle as they gather kids and head for the ice cream parlor. 

While sitting there, sharing my double dip of chocolate with little Kira, it's hard to believe the whirlwind of the last couple of months.  Within an hour of Erich arriving at the meeting, they had everyone on board with Sealion.  But that was only the begging.  There were brigades that needed to be completed and attached to the 1st Panzer Army.  Infantry brigades that were refitting into mechanized brigades from the western front also needed to complete their training and returned.  As production become available, infantry brigades on the eastern front were sent back for transformation into mechanized brigades.  New panzer brigades and security divisions were also ordered up.  And, we had to mobilize our country a couple of week before to bring all of our units to full strength.

Most importantly, we needed to keep the Allies in the dark about what we were up to.  They seemed to suspect something, as the British and Australians loaned the Dutch a few units that are causing us a few problems at the moment.  However, 5th Panzer Corps is making good progress.  We had put out a press release stating that the 1st Panzer Corps was heading for Italian North Africa for desert training.  And I think it kept the Allies from totally guessing our plans as the British seemed to be caught unprepared.

So far Raeders navy has performed flawlessly.  The carrier pilots from our only two carriers, Graf Zepplin and Peter Stasser, has kept the RAF from doing too much damage to the fleet and have been able to launch anti-ship missions against the Allies navy.  The two super battleships, Wilhelm I and Frederick the Great have completely overwhelmed everything that the Allies have in the part of the world at the moment.  Hopefully they can keep it up.  With the airfields in Dover no secured, our naval aviation bombers can rebase there and lend a hand to the surface and subsurface units. 

The Bulgarians, Hungarians, Slovaks, and Italians have joined us in the war.  The Greeks are in on the Allies side and is looking to be making moves against Bulgaria and Italian Albania.  We have a corps of mountain troops in southern Germany.  High Command would like to keep them there as a strategic reserve at this time, but will commit them to Greece if necessary.
The Italians are not moving against southern France at this time.  That is fine as they are keeping the French from redeploying those units to the German front.  The Italians are moving against British and French holding in northern Africa.  Good luck to them, as we have nothing to offer them for help at this time.

Time.  Time is our biggest enemy.  We have to more quickly to and secure England before she can bring her units back from Asia.  Three days is what it took from the declaration of war to the capture of central London.  We have to keep moving now.  Japan is still in great danger of being completely overrun.  Worse, it's the French that seem to be leading that effort.  So we need to secure England and get 1st Panzer Corps moving against France to try and draw units away from Japan.  We've detected two American Airborne units before we entered the war.  So we also need to know both  England and France out before the Americans can change the focus of the war efforts to come to Europe's aid.

Martok

Nice job with Sealion!  I'll admit, I wasn't sure you could pull it off a seaborne invasion all the way from northern Germany.  From you narrative, I take it the Brits didn't give you much trouble? 

Also, what's happening with Japan?  The Allies invaded the Home Islands right away or something? 

Quote from: OJsDad on March 08, 2014, 09:10:29 PM
Ok.  Since Martok was so upset about having to wait, I got the next part completed. 
Most kind of you sir.  8)  Thank you! 

JasonPratt

I'm confused about what month/year the game started, and where it is now -- the screenshots seem to indicate 1944, and I think the first story entry indicated 1944, but I can't make that square with anything else (including a later post indicating you've been playing since 1936 but didn't bother to report because nothing has really happened yet...)

I'm certainly curious about how well going with Sealion first and then dealing with the Continent will work out, but I'm missing the historical or alt-historical context.  ??? (I mean aside from there being a German Emperor still.)

OJsDad

Jason,

I'm playing the Road to War scenario, which starts in 1936.  I played through until Feb of '44 because there wasn't much happening except for research and building units.  I would have started the AAR a lot sooner if there was anything significant to report. 

As for who rules Germany, I hope to tell more about that as the AAR goes on.

JasonPratt

Ohhhhhh! Okay, that makes sense: if Germany doesn't start a war, and the little box isn't checked at the beginning (or when loading any save game) to let anyone start wars, then even the Russians probably won't start a war (because they'd need an event to trigger to do so).

The strategy then is to push hard on building up Germany's research and industrial infrastructure, beyond what anyone else will be doing in the same time period, and only launch when you're ready -- then knock out Britain first with Sealion! Neat!

(I did not just accidentally type Sealoin as an unconscious expression of my admiration for this strategy...  ::) )