CK II The Old Gods - From Greatness

Started by undercovergeek, March 21, 2014, 07:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Another lightning strike lit up the sky above Alwin's head. His lungs burned and his legs ached more than he could ever remember from running the marshes during the great hunts. The rain came down in huge sheets, his long hair was plastered to his face, his clothes saturated, the water simply ran off him now, he could absorb no more. A huge crash of thunder followed the lightning, the wind blasting the rain into his face in stinging gusts, but still he ran. The wind battered him from all directions, he stumbled over hidden rises amongst the tall grasses on the headland, and tripped as he lost his feet in rabbit holes and divots, but still he ran. He'd barely heard what Aiken the Black had shouted into his ear on the beach, he'd had to press his head to the mouth of the King's Champion to receive the message, his eyes widening as he understood. His task was simple, run. Run as fast as possible to the castle and with the authority of Aiken bring the king and his guard to the shore.

Aiken stood waist deep in the sea staying close enough to the shore so as not to be overpowered by the rolling surface, whipped to a frenzy by the storm. He stood silently scanning the surface of the water and occasionally glancing at the hulk of the broken ship. His sword was held in a double handed grip over his head, ready for anything that might leap out of the sea in front of him. He steadied himself amidst the swell of another wave and summoned two of his chosen men who were carrying torches, the flames billowing crazily in the wind, he needed to see as much as possible. More lightning lanced from the sky and a sharp crack followed almost immediately, the night was turned to day for an instant and Aiken saw the bodies of the Vikings rolling lifelessly in the tumbling waves. There was a long, drawn out groan from the dragon ship speared on the rocks as it rolled onto its side, more bodies spilling out into the sea. Aiken stood still, waiting with menace, like one of the rocks jutting out of the Viking ship's hull, he waited for another flash of lightning and when it came he squinted into the violence of the storm. As soon as his vision cleared he grunted to himself and lowered his sword, he was satisfied there were no other ships, no other Vikings save for the ones rolling in the waves, washing up onto the sand behind him. The men of his company were dragging the bodies out of the surf and laying them in a line on the sand. Aiken waded back to shore, caught the eye of Grimm his Captain and tipped his head back in the direction of the sea, Grimm immediately dispatched two chosen men to the surf to keep watch.

Aiken looked at the line of bodies. He was no stranger to the Vikings, all his men had fought them in battle. The raids were becoming more frequent, in some places up the coast they had actually settled, none yet brave enough to try and kick them back into the sea, raiding fleets had been spotted by their coast watchers passing from North to South mostly. It was impossible to tell anything from the wet, lifeless bodies gathered here and Aiken gave the order for the bodies to be burned.

'And this one?' shouted Grimm over the howling winds, stepping to the side to reveal another Viking body. Aiken stepped forward, puzzled by Grimm's raised eyebrow and sardonic smile. He stopped in his tracks, this one was still alive. A deep gash across his forehead had stained his blonde hair red, angry, hateful eyes stared out of a mask of blood. Grimm's sword was pressed against the big man's chest. Aiken studied the wounded Viking, there was something about this man, something he couldn't quite put his finger on. Grimm was obviously having the same thoughts. He was clearly a leader of men, he was adorned in furs and leather, not just the blue and red tunics of the other Vikings around him. By his side were two axes that had been worn crossed on his back before Grimm disarmed him and dragged him through the sand. The warrior met Aiken's gaze, moved his head to the side and spat into the sand.

'Bring me a shield!' Aiken shouted and held out an arm. Within a few seconds one of his men handed him one of the large Viking shields, he turned it round. It was painted white with a blackbird sigil painted in the centre, Aiken smiled and looked to Grimm. He was nodding his head, trying to look nonchalant but he had a twinkle in his eye that made Aiken begin to laugh.

'Ragnar Lodbrok, rapist, murderer, thief and scourge of the Franks' Aiken span round. There behind him at the head of his honour guard, sat on a jet black horse was his King, Aella. At his feet was the most notorious, most hated and despised warlord of all the Norsemen, Ragnar Lodbrok. The viking looked from Aella to Aiken to Grimm and spat in the sand again.

JasonPratt

Ooooooooo.... {registering for comment tracking}

{squinting}

um. There wasn't a period at the end, so, was that the end of the first entry, or was there a copy-paste error?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 21, 2014, 08:55:10 PM
Ooooooooo.... {registering for comment tracking}

{squinting}

um. There wasn't a period at the end, so, was that the end of the first entry, or was there a copy-paste error?

fixed just for you  :P

JasonPratt

Okay, good, I just wondered if there was going to be an execution or something to round out the scene. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

lol - im going for the big story type - hope it works!

Staggerwing

Great story so far Geek. You have a gift for this sort of thing.

King Aella best be careful how he handles Ragnar Hairy-breeks: "How the Little Piglets would grunt if they heard how the old Boar suffers..."

I predict a lot of striped sails off the coast as a result.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 22, 2014, 04:59:56 AM
lol - im going for the big story type - hope it works!

The CK2 system (and hopefully transitioning into the new EU4 system) should work great with that!

undercovergeek

Ragnar woke to the darkness behind his blindfold, his body aching all over. He suppressed a murmur of pain, he would not give his captors that satisfaction. He felt a moment of grief as he remembered the King putting a torch to his warriors on the beach, the bodies heaped in an unceremonious pile. He also remembered his hands and feet being bound, the other end of the rope tied to the King's horse, he was pulled off his feet by the strength of the big horse and dragged over the rough ground and rocks to Aella's castle. His battered and bruised body was chained to the wall where he hung helplessly, men of the castle taking turns beating and kicking him until he lost consciousness, only for him to wake and have the process start all over again. It was from the last round of beatings that he woke now, it took him a while to realise he was been moved, and he tensed for the inevitable flurry of fists and boots, but it didn't come. The blindfold was ripped from his head and an angry face appeared in his field of vision. The man whispered something close to his ear that he didn't understand and then he spat in his face, drew his knife and pressed it to the skin under Ragnar's eye.

Aiken had been sent to bring the Viking to Aella. He chose three men to follow him and gestured to them to cut the warrior down. Ever the enthusiast for violence, Arth was taunting the Viking and thrusting his knife at his face.

'Leave him be' growled Aiken

'He killed my brother, burnt our homes, killed your father' shouted Arth

'And the time has come to answer for that, leave him be'

The disgruntled chosen man punched Ragnar in the face as he reached up to release his bonds

'As you wish' he mumbled

The pain lanced through Ragnar's shoulders as his arms were released from the chains above him.

'Meyla krafla mikli thur syr' growled the Norseman into Arth's face. Arth looked into the big mans' eyes and then over to Aiken.

'Something about your mother and dead pigs, don't ask me'

Arth's fist connected with Ragnar's face again, Aiken rolled his eyes and shook his head.

'Bind his hands and follow me'

Ragnar was led by a rope around his neck into a large stone chamber. Broken arches ringed the room and there were toppled and smashed columns strewn about the floor with other bits of broken masonry. In the centre of the floor was what looked like a wide, disused well or a pit of some sort with a low, stone wall ringing the top. Stood by the wall, accompanied by two men holding torches was Aella, his honour guard behind him, his counsellors were dotted around the chamber and they all turned as Ragnar was dragged into the room and thrown to the floor. Aella looked down at Ragnar without pity, and studied him. After a while he shook his head and sighed then nodded towards the pit. Arth and a fellow chosen man hoisted Ragnar to his feet and roughly pushed him to the edge, Aiken stepped forward and drew his sword. Ragnar looked down into the pit, the floor a deep, seething mass of snakes. He turned to Aiken and held out his hands

'I claim the right of a Viking to die with a sword in my hand'

'What did he say?' asked Aella, Aiken roughly translated Ragnar's request

'And I deny him that right, go ahead, push him in' Aella waved his hand towards the pit

'Cut my bonds and give me your sword' growled Ragnar to Aiken

'Why should I?' replied the King's Champion

'Would you deny me the right to enter the home of my Gods?'

Aiken narrowed his eyes and stared at Ragnar for what seemed like an eternity, the Viking stuck out his hands again. Aiken looked from Ragnar to his outthrust hands and back again, the Viking's shoulders slumped in resignation. Suddenly Aiken swung his sword and sliced through the ropes around Ragnar's hands.

'What are you doing you fool?' shouted Aella

Ragnar held out his hand, Aiken studied the man for a long while before passing him his sword, hilt first. The honour guard around Aella drew their own swords.

'Aiken.........' warned Aella

Ragnar stood there, sword in hand, the tip pointing at Aiken's chest. For a long time the two warriors stared at each other. A smile broke on Ragnar's face, he roared a challenge and feinted a leap in Aella's direction, the King flinched and the honour guard jumped forward as one, Ragnar burst into booming laughter. He slowly cast his gaze around the room, sweeping the sword in front of him

'My sons will return here and avenge this day'

His menacing stare settled on Aella

'Swina bqllr' he bellowed and leapt into the pit.

undercovergeek

Eighteen months later.........

Arrows seemed to have little effect on the Vikings.

Aiken stood amazed and appalled at the top of the gate's watchtower. The battle was in the hands of Aella, he simply stood with his men, the scouts and messengers, watching, waiting for the order from his King. He had plenty of time to watch the horror unfolding. The Great Heathen Army as it had come to be known was not attacking his section of the wall... yet, and his chosen men stood watching tensely as the bezerkers barreled toward the Main gate and Ouze gate by the river. Even in the distance, his height on the tower affording him a view over the city to where the Main gate lay, Aiken could see the Vikings running straight through hailstorms of arrows. Some fell dead, the rest just continued to charge, his men murmured to each other on the tower.

'Quiet there' he shouted, as much to calm his own nerves as theirs

Even as he watched the oncoming slaughter his commander's eye surveyed the enemy. He could see in the distance Vikings carrying ladders to scale the walls, and battering rams to hammer down the gates. They simply weren't ready for this, spies and scouts had given them ample notice of the coming invasion, but they could not have been ready for this. The first Viking wave reached the wall. Men began to toss down rocks and other heavy items. Aiken's own section had similar piles, one just above the arch of the gate where he stood. If arrows had no effect what good would rocks do? The Norsemen gathered around the base of the wall like a dammed up river. Distant thumps sounded as they began to beat against the gates.

'Chosen men!' a messenger shouted from below, running up to Aiken's gate. 'My Lord!'

'Here!' shouted Aiken

'Ouzegate needs reinforcements immediately! The King commands you to send five companies with me!'

Aiken began shouting the orders. Five of my companies, he thought to himself, five hundred of my two thousand men, he was already concerned about how thinly they'd be spread. The five companies marched away leaving the courtyard before the gate and the walls alarmingly empty. The remaining men glanced at each other and shuffled quietly. Aiken looked to the Main gate, he could hear the battering rams hammering against the gate, the screams of men. The Vikings were answering the rain of rocks with their own hunting bows, and they appeared to be much more accurate than the defenders.

'Stand firm!' he heard Grimm shout, further down the wall. 'Stand firm...........' His voice becoming uncertain as he noticed something in the distance. Aiken turned to follow his gaze, the Vikings had started to spread out from the Main gate and Ouzegate, they were starting to surround the city. Large groups of them were breaking off from the main attack as the ladder bearers joined them, heading for the city's remaining gates and straight toward the Mickelgate where they stood.

King Aella stood with his men and honour guard in the courtyard of Ouzegate. Soldiers shuffled and clanked, standing in ranks before the gates, waiting and watching their companions atop the wall. The gates thumped, Aella flinched involuntarily, he soothed his men.

'Be strong' he shouted, 'Fear, uncertainty, I take these away. Death may come through these doors but you can fight it, you can win...... Be strong'

He walked to the other side of the courtyard so that all his men could see him, 'Fear and terror, i take these away from you. We will be victorious this day!'

The gates continued to boom. Men clustered on the walls, throwing down rocks and spears, firing arrows and fighting with frantic panic. Occasionally one of them would yell and fall into the courtyard, an arrow protruding from them. Aella tried not to imagine what was on the other side of the gate, the thousands of enraged Vikings bent on slaughter and revenge.

'Fear, anxiety, terror.....' he muttered to himself

The gates shook and quivered, splinters appearing at the edges.

'Look to the King, men' shouted Aelfheah the commander of the honour guard. 'We are undefeated, we have fought the rebels, warred with the nomads and pushed back the Celts. No man can stand before our might, seek courage from Aella and sweep all before us!'

The men cheered.

And the gates burst open.

'Ouzegate has been breached my Lord!' Aella's messenger cried, puffing slightly as he crouched beside Aiken. They were both crouched behind the wall's battlements listening to the Vikings pounding on their own gate.

'It is the most well defended' said Aiken quietly, 'I'm sure the King will be able to hold it'

The messenger nodded, arrows chipping the stone just above them and zinging off into the courtyard. Aiken peeped over the side of the wall, the Viking corpses were piling up, however, he could also see the splintered gate. At it were hordes of Vikings chopping at the gates with their axes and being thrust aside by the constant movement of the battering ram. They both climbed down from the watchtower and joined the chosen men in the courtyard. The soldiers on the walls had run out of stones but the archers were still working against the enemy.

'Tell the King I fear for this gates defences' the messenger nodded and took off toward Ouzegate.

Aiken felt motion beside him and turned to Grimm the Captain of the Chosen Men. Tall, with thick, dark hair that grew down to his shoulders, he was a a bear of a man, the biggest in the army.

'What did the messenger say?' Grimm asked, lifting his chin in the direction the messenger had just fled

'Ouzegate has fallen my friend' Aiken replied

'And our plan?' Both men ducked as an archer crashed into the courtyard with two arrows in his chest.

'Stand and fight when the Vikings break through?' said Aiken, an amused look on his face

'When they breakthrough?' replied Grimm

'Fear not my friend, they are coming through'

Grimm climbed back up the stairs to the battlements, patting men on the shoulder, giving them words of encouragement.

'Are you ready Chosen Men?' shouted Aiken, drawing his sword and banging it to the armour on his chest. The men of his companies roared and banged their axes and swords against armour and shield.

He heard a shout from the wall, the archers were waving in alarm, Grimm running over to them. A huge Viking suddenly pulled himself up onto the wall, a sword in each hand, his face covered in blood, he thrust a sword straight through the throat of the archer next to him, and turned and sliced down through Grimm's armour with the other, he tossed the chosen man backwards over the wall. Grimm disappeared, falling to the Vikings below. A second Viking scrambled up onto the wall, and then a third. Archers stumbled away in shock, dropping their bows, some shoving others off the battlements in their haste to escape. More and more Vikings were pulling themselves onto the top of the wall and they swept the defenders out of their way with ease. Men fell to the courtyard around Aiken and the pounding on the gates redoubled. The structure of the gate began to crack, splinters sprayed into the courtyard. Aiken and his soldiers backed away, readying for the onslaught. Finally with a snap the bar broke and one of the gates burst open, a howling, bleeding wild mass of Vikings poured into the courtyard.

Staggerwing

:o

UCG, you need a damn publisher, not a thread in a forum.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

undercovergeek

Thanks guys, I'm hoping to actually be able to press start and get playing after the next update.... poor old Alfred is dying to get in on the story

JasonPratt