Main Menu

Got myself a PS4

Started by Tpek, March 28, 2014, 10:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

I finally caved in and got a modern console in addition to my PC, a PS4.
So far I'm unimpressed.

Let's start with the basic, the PS4 I found in the stores was the North America one, so I can't play any movies I currently have on DVDs because of that.
I needed an American User to be able to use all those prepaid cards and redeem codes to add money to my wallet (since the genii at Sony decided that everyone outside the US has to give in their CC details, and it's not like Sony gets hacked every other Tuesday, right?).
So far coming up to be quite expensive. Not only are console games far more expensive than PC ones, but most sites that sell prepaid money cards obviously charge an extra.

The game selection is miniscule. I've had more games sitting in physical boxes next to me just a few weeks ago than I was even able to find on the PS4 store (not to mention the brick&mortar stores that have even less).

There's no service that sells movies/tv-shows I can watch using the PS4 that are available anywhere outside the U.S.
iTunes might be an option, but apparently PS4 is not supposed to be able to read their file format.

You can mark it down as my worst and most expensive impulse purchase ever made  :-[

Grimnirsson

QuoteLet's start with the basic, the PS4 I found in the stores was the North America one, so I can't play any movies I currently have on DVDs because of that.

Where are you from?

But I wonder that you are surpised...if you want to watch movies on the PS4 (or the XO or any other device including DVD/BR players) the first thing I would have done is checking possible region lock. It is well known and can be found by one google check that the console is region free for games but Blu-Ray / DVD playback is region locked. So who's fault was it? Yours or the PS4's? ;)

QuoteI needed an American User to be able to use all those prepaid cards and redeem codes to add money to my wallet (since the genii at Sony decided that everyone outside the US has to give in their CC details, and it's not like Sony gets hacked every other Tuesday, right?).
So far coming up to be quite expensive. Not only are console games far more expensive than PC ones, but most sites that sell prepaid money cards obviously charge an extra.

It is also a fact known for years that console games are more expensive than PC games but if you stick to the important ones you have to play at launch you can save good money if you wait 2 months after release for other games, people sell them off for less then, games get to half the original price rather fast sometimes. That's why everybody was so angry about MS with their try to kill the used game market, it's essential for console games because they are more expensive.

And prepaid cards...check out ebay. I have used prepaid cards for my XBLive for years and via ebay I could cut what I had to pay for a year to half! As I see right now here in Germany you can get a 50€ prepaid card for 45€ so it's money saved or the worst case it's 1 on 1 change.

QuoteThe game selection is miniscule. I've had more games sitting in physical boxes next to me just a few weeks ago than I was even able to find on the PS4 store (not to mention the brick&mortar stores that have even less).

That's the reason I and many I know don't buy a PS4 right now - there are not enough games out yet - also no surprise the console is new and the old gen is still well supported so there's no need to buy one right now. But that's also something you could have known before you buy the hardware...

QuoteThere's no service that sells movies/tv-shows I can watch using the PS4 that are available anywhere outside the U.S.
iTunes might be an option, but apparently PS4 is not supposed to be able to read their file format.

Again, why not check that before you shell out your hard earned money? And btw it's a game console, not a multimedia machine. Yes it can do most of this stuff but it's built for games. But I suppose such services will be added later, because everyone seems to expect it to work on their gaming device.

QuoteYou can mark it down as my worst and most expensive impulse purchase ever made

Yeah, maybe, but really - if you go out and buy something without checking what it does, what it does not, whether it can do what you want it to do or not...400 bucks on the table for a thing on which you have not googled around a bit before...

There will  be coming out cool games no worries, so I think you will still be rather happy with your 'impulse purchase' :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Tpek

I know of the region-lock thing, but I was hoping the commonly sold PS4 in stores here would be the PAL version one. (I'm from Israel).

And PS4 is supposed to be a multimedia machine, that's one of the way they advertised it.

I'll check out eBay, but the problem there is that it requires shipping which takes time (and additional money).

Grimnirsson

QuoteI'll check out eBay, but the problem there is that it requires shipping which takes time (and additional money).

Prepaid cards/codes are sent via email - at least that's how it's done here in good ol' Germany ;)

www.homefrontcenter.de

Hiimori

Quote from: Tpek on March 28, 2014, 10:00:18 AM
There's no service that sells movies/tv-shows I can watch using the PS4 that are available anywhere outside the U.S.

Don't you have consumer rights in your country? If they sold you an NTSC console while the DVDs and BluRay standard in your country is PAL, you could certainly return the console to the shop and ask for a replacement that actually works with your TV norms and available services?!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Staggerwing

^That's what I'd do.

Also, you could return the PS4 and then find a PS3 instead for much less that can play your region's DVDs. The PS3 also plays Blurays, many (though not all) of which are region-free. As a bonus there are many used PS3 games out there right now costing much less than new ones.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Tpek

Quote from: Hiimori on March 30, 2014, 04:04:06 PM
Quote from: Tpek on March 28, 2014, 10:00:18 AM

Don't you have consumer rights in your country? If they sold you an NTSC console while the DVDs and BluRay standard in your country is PAL, you could certainly return the console to the shop and ask for a replacement that actually works with your TV norms and available services?!

I've got like 2 movies on DVD. So, why bother? :P

Grimnirsson

QuoteI've got like 2 movies on DVD. So, why bother?

It was YOU who bothered... :P

QuoteLet's start with the basic, the PS4 I found in the stores was the North America one, so I can't play any movies I currently have on DVDs because of that.

www.homefrontcenter.de

Tpek

So I ended up forgetting my PSN password :P
Thing is, the PSN's system for password resets seems to be utterly broken and now I can't log in at all.
Yippi Ka Yay MF......

Grimnirsson

Excuse me what has the fact that you forgot your password to do with the PSN system being broken?

And it seems it's rather easy to solve your problem, google is your friend...

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2539/~/change-and-reset-password

www.homefrontcenter.de

Tpek

Quote from: Grimnirsson on April 18, 2014, 11:40:22 AM
Excuse me what has the fact that you forgot your password to do with the PSN system being broken?

And it seems it's rather easy to solve your problem, google is your friend...

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2539/~/change-and-reset-password

You misunderstood what I wrote.
I forgot my password AND the PSN password reset system is broken.

It wouldn't let me actually change the password. At the first couple of attempts the password change, though declared a success, did not take effect.
Later it would not even let me get there.

W8taminute

I picked up a PS4 earlier this year and have no regrets, despite the limited library.  The system UI is a huge improvement over the PS3 and the OS is silky smooth. 

I do understand what you wanted the console to do for you but if you look at this machine from a gaming only point of view it is a superior system in every way not only to the PS3 but also to the Xbone.  Given some time as more games become available you will like the system.  I've already have had a blast playing COD: Ghosts on it as well as an import game from Japan thanks to the PS4's region free blu-ray drive.   ;)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tpek

Quote from: W8taminute on April 18, 2014, 02:57:06 PM
I picked up a PS4 earlier this year and have no regrets, despite the limited library.  The system UI is a huge improvement over the PS3 and the OS is silky smooth. 

I do understand what you wanted the console to do for you but if you look at this machine from a gaming only point of view it is a superior system in every way not only to the PS3 but also to the Xbone.  Given some time as more games become available you will like the system.  I've already have had a blast playing COD: Ghosts on it as well as an import game from Japan thanks to the PS4's region free blu-ray drive.   ;)

The Blu-Ray is region free but it is still restricted for DVDs? :P
If that's true, then good to know!

Tpek

Seems like the system got back to work.
I was able to reset my password :)

Grimnirsson

QuoteThe Blu-Ray is region free but it is still restricted for DVDs?

Nobody said that...W8taminute was talking about games, which on the PS4 are on Blu Rays. May I quote myself here?

QuoteIt is well known and can be found by one google check that the console is region free for games but Blu-Ray / DVD playback is region locked.

www.homefrontcenter.de