Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by Jarhead0331, March 29, 2014, 10:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 02, 2014, 01:03:17 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on April 02, 2014, 12:11:31 PM
I will probably get RD despite my deep offense that you cannot pause to give orders. There are a few point in any match where you need that level of control.

Bullet time is practically a pause feature.  it is very, very, VERY slow.

Is bullet time slower than the current slowest setting? Seriously..I would like to know. I am TERRIBLE at RTS games, but I love all the Eugen games, and I want this one bad.

Jarhead0331

^bulket time is extremely slow. At first I thought it was an outright pause. I had to zoom in to see that time was in fact still moving.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

skeptical.platypus

Well, I'll probably pull the trigger on Jarhead's review of bullet time as well. I really, really liked the setting and eye candy of ALB, but always felt like I was playing a gear or two too slow.

Gotta admit, the naval stuff looks some seriously nice splody.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

jomni

Bullet time is not the slow down that we are looking for since everything is slowed down.  We need general slowdown of movement and maybe rate of fire.  But projectiles should travel at the normal rate.

DennisS

Quote from: jomni on April 09, 2014, 05:51:25 PM
Bullet time is not the slow down that we are looking for since everything is slowed down.  We need general slowdown of movement and maybe rate of fire.  But projectiles should travel at the normal rate.

Speak for yourself.    ;D

I WANT slow. Glacially slow. Slow enough for the vehicles to rust while I play. In a perfect world, I want this to be a plot-pause-play for sixty seconds, or a full stop, give orders, and resume game.

I understand that the fog of war, and critical battlefield decisions were made without the benefit of the commanders to slow down time, and I also appreciate Eugen's compromise. Slow that effer down enough, and everyone's happy.

skeptical.platypus

^I want DennisS to design the next expansion.

(Ironically, I want him to to release it fast.)
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Bullet time works. The game is now playable on harder settings (when you figure out the new units). Visually it sometimes tears at this point, everything goes to a smear. Im not sure if it is the scrollwheel zooming that is making it break or what. At least it doesnt crash, so you can speed it up then slow it down again. It is workable until they get it totally debugged.

To me it saves the game. Thank you for finally listening to what many people in a big long thread were saying.

One thing I dont understand is the shortlist of maps. there is like 6-8 maps available with nothing from the original game. ???  I really want to do the original campaign with bullet time.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

mikeck

Okay so it's been released... anybody here have any opinions on it? How does  the time slowdown button work out ?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on April 18, 2014, 10:51:39 AM
Okay so it's been released... anybody here have any opinions on it? How does  the time slowdown button work out ?

Its awesome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

For reference, did you like the last 2 versions? I did but was too annoyed by the fast pace
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on April 18, 2014, 11:41:17 AM
For reference, did you like the last 2 versions? I did but was too annoyed by the fast pace

Yes. I'm a fan of the entire series.  if speed was your problem with the first two, you will find that Red Dragon is a drastic improvement with the speed settings.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

PanzersEast

Trust me, buy it now..... I have purchased all of them up until now and speed as always been an issue with me... I feel that has been addressed and I am enjoying the game, unlike the past.

PE

undercovergeek

mikeck

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 18, 2014, 01:18:46 PM
if speed was your problem with the first two, you will find that Red Dragon is a drastic improvement with the speed settings.

Speed was definitely the biggest obstacle with getting into Wargame EE for me.  Way too fast for my aging reflexes.

I checked out some YouTube let's plays for RD -- and it still seems to play really fast.  Course, the guys playing may have just been ninjas.  But if it's typical of RD then no way I can dive in.

Just so I'm clear though:  Red Dragon offers a slower speed feature that was not present in EE or ALB?