Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

The full Single Player alpha was released today for premium beta backers.  The premium beta purchase was $150.  A 50% reduction from the astronomical Alpha price of $295! 

$150 is still a lot of money for a game, but the videos just look too spectacular. I just had to try it. I had a really good month at work, so I couldn't help myself from splurging...don't tell wifey.  :'(

I will report back this evening.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

JudgeDredd

Bloody hell fire - $300 for a game?!

I hope you enjoy this one JH.

I'm off to look at videos not that I'm buying. Anything over £100 is too much. Over £70 and it has to be exceptional and my genre. Otherwise £30 - £50 is about the limit for moi.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 11, 2014, 03:22:24 PM

I'm off to look at videos not that I'm buying. Anything over £100 is too much. Over £70 and it has to be exceptional and my genre. Otherwise £30 - £50 is about the limit for moi.

I know...I'm ashamed. I won't be able to look myself in the mirror for a day or two.  People starving in the streets and I'm laying out $150 for a stupid game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bbmike

Hmm, I wonder if that means you are the current leader here on who spent the most money on a single PC game. We really should track that kind of stuff.  ;D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 11, 2014, 03:25:22 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 11, 2014, 03:22:24 PM

I know...I'm ashamed. I won't be able to look myself in the mirror for a day or two.  People starving in the streets and I'm laying out $150 for a stupid game.

Hey Thurston Howell III....let us little people know what the game is like. Lol
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

Quote from: bbmike on April 11, 2014, 03:26:12 PM
Hmm, I wonder if that means you are the current leader here on who spent the most money on a single PC game. We really should track that kind of stuff.  ;D

I spent 199 euro's for a Collector's Edition last year... In dollars that would be 276 dollars at the current rate.  :-X ::)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

So - is this the spiritual successor to the famed Elite?
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on April 11, 2014, 03:34:07 PM

I spent 199 euro's for a Collector's Edition last year... In dollars that would be 276 dollars at the current rate.  :-X ::)

Wait a second...you HAVE it and haven't even made a peep over here!?!? Start talking, dude...I'm very disappointed in you.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 11, 2014, 03:37:32 PM
So - is this the spiritual successor to the famed Elite?

it is, and then some - im excited by the nostalgia and the memories it conjours up - its a no purchase from me but i really hope those who buy love it, it deserves it

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 11, 2014, 03:42:28 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on April 11, 2014, 03:34:07 PM

Wait a second...you HAVE it and haven't even made a peep over here!?!? Start talking, dude...I'm very disappointed in you.
I thought he was talking about another game
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

It doesn't look too dissimilar to X-Rebirth. It's probably totally different and plays better - but it looks very similar in the videos I've seen.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

JudgeDredd

I honestly can't remember - which suggests no. I remember it coming out and the stink it was causing because it was so cool...but I wasn't into "space" games at the time anyway...I was more into flight sims
Alba gu' brath