Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedArgo

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 13, 2014, 02:30:57 AM
Quote from: RedArgo on April 12, 2014, 09:14:10 PM
I think I heard my kids talking about this game...
lol - well that's just rude!  ;)
My problem is finding a place where I can't hear them talking about games!

Gusington

^I'm looking for that same place, especially when it can cost me 100s of dollars.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on April 13, 2014, 04:18:40 PM
Dammit. Just bought it. I knew I would but I can't resist space games. Plus I watched this YouTube video of a guy using stealth to sneak up on people. He was cutting systems to reduce hear and dropping heat sinks. The enemy picked him up in intervals but because of his low signature, the independent gimbaled weapons couldn't track. He fired a few heat seekers and drilled him.

That's just cool
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7P6z1tR0fvc

Did you get the premium beta or did you buy in for the alpha?  The premium beta does not have any of the station content as depicted in the video linked. We'll get that stuff in 5 or 6 weeks I think.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 13, 2014, 05:04:52 PM
Quote from: mikeck on April 13, 2014, 04:18:40 PM
Dammit. Just bought it. I knew I would but I can't resist space games. Plus I watched this YouTube video of a guy using stealth to sneak up on people. He was cutting systems to reduce hear and dropping heat sinks. The enemy picked him up in intervals but because of his low signature, the independent gimbaled weapons couldn't track. He fired a few heat seekers and drilled him.

That's just cool
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7P6z1tR0fvc

Did you get the premium beta or did you buy in for the alpha?  The premium beta does not have any of the station content as depicted in the video linked. We'll get that stuff in 5 or 6 weeks I think.

I bought the premium beta. I didn't really understand what came with what. I guess as long as I get all of the content, I'm ok. The combat should keep me busy.

So for $150 all I get is combat? I don't even get a station to land in and change weapons and such? Says they will be adding trading and such for the alpha. Is there a way to upgrade the premium beta to the alpha without repurchasing?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

I told you it was just single player missions and there is no where near enough content to justify $150. Do not even try to complain, bub.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 13, 2014, 06:03:12 PM
I told you it was just single player missions and there is no where near enough content to justify $150. Do not even try to complain, bub.

No complaints...buyer beware. I assumed combat also meant access to a station to equip my ship. You know, sans trading, a big universe, multiplayer, etc. Whether it's worth it is subjective. Like you, I had a good few months and can afford it. I live space combat and in the end, will get the full game. No complaints.

Did you buy the full alpha? I looked at upgrading but $300? I will stick to combat. In a month and 1/2 I get new content anyway.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on April 13, 2014, 06:07:44 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 13, 2014, 06:03:12 PM

No complaints...buyer beware. I assumed combat also meant access to a station to equip my ship. You know, sans trading, a big universe, multiplayer, etc. Whether it's worth it is subjective. Like you, I had a good few months and can afford it. I live space combat and in the end, will get the full game. No complaints.

Did you buy the full alpha? I looked at upgrading but $300? I will stick to combat. In a month and 1/2 I get new content anyway.

No. I'm premium beta too. I simply can't swallow a $300 purchase. That, for me, is a bridge too far. However, as soon as I heard I could get something single player at $150, I jumped. So far, I do not regret it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

what do you get that the great unwashed dont get in a year?

mikeck

1 years worth of playing elite.
The cockpit views are in game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y44RasDxMEk

JudgeDredd

Thankfully I eventually got whatever was wrong with x-Rebirth sorted...so I am able to hold off on this.

I did, however, give some more videos a look and after seeing that stealth one, went to have a look at the site - but £200 for Alpha, £100 for Beta were way too much. If there was more in Beta - possibly. But not yet.
Alba gu' brath

son_of_montfort

Yikes, I would be tempted to get this if I hadn't already dropped so much money on boardgame Kickstarting. Elite was a classic game and I'm stoked about the revival of genre.

And if what you all are saying about this early Alpha is good, then I am very hopeful for the full version.

I did back Star Citizen, but I've been a little miffed about what seems to be a lack of progress on that.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

mikeck

Quote from: son_of_montfort on April 15, 2014, 10:39:51 AM
Yikes, I would be tempted to get this if I hadn't already dropped so much money on boardgame Kickstarting. Elite was a classic game and I'm stoked about the revival of genre.

And if what you all are saying about this early Alpha is good, then I am very hopeful for the full version.

I did back Star Citizen, but I've been a little miffed about what seems to be a lack of progress on that.

Completely agree. Star citizen seems to be just a series of videos showing how cool it will be.

mikeck

I do like the dogfighting. In the x series you just turn until you find your enemy. Here, you really do need to roll, pitch and use some lateral thrusting to dodge rocks while you fight.

Jarhead, how do I turn off flight assist?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on April 15, 2014, 07:28:44 PM

Jarhead, how do I turn off flight assist?

I have it mapped to my joystick 5 key. I don't remember what it was by default.  Go into the options to change the control config.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog