Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2014, 07:33:43 PM
Quote from: mikeck on April 15, 2014, 07:28:44 PM

Jarhead, how do I turn off flight assist?

I have it mapped to my joystick 5 key. I don't remember what it was by default.  Go into the options to change the control config.

Tried...couldn't find it. Is it called "flight assist" or some thing else?

By the way, the graphics of missiles and hit/explosion effects are insane
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Really cool vid of combat in an asteroid field. This guy is flying like this with flight assist turned off. The way he flies and seamlessly moves into "silent running" is a good indicator that I don't want to fight him:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=Vvl7uaR1sfI

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

That is too cool for school!

It's amazing what a few sounds can do to "put you there".
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

I have to admit that that video was WAY COOL.   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

undercovergeek

JudgeDredd

Everytime I see a video I go "oooohhh...." and fire up X Rebirth...and then quit  :(
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

sell the bike, buy elite Alpha access - solved

JudgeDredd

I need my bike. I LOVE my bike.

Besides - that's too steep...even for a full game
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

The game would probably be mind-blowing if played wearing an Oculus Rift.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Yskonyn

I think I would puke my guts out, wearing that and playing something like Elite. :P

Your brain gets fooled bigtime while you're eyes register full 3D movement, tricking your balance organ, while your tactile sensory input provides conflicting feedback because your body is remaining in place.

It's already a pretty annoying feeling when the vision module is lagging behind the movement of the hydraulic legs (or the other way around) in our Full Flight Sims. I don't even want to think what will happen when I wear an Occulus Rift playing these kind of games!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 26, 2014, 02:55:15 AM

It's amazing what a few sounds can do to "put you there".

Exactly my thoughts.  I was impressed with the sounds in the vids I've seen, and how it matched up well with the gameplay.

I think that's part of the reason I enjoy the WWI flight sims so much.  With the open cockpit, you have to use audio cues quite a bit to realize when you're going to stall, the wings being stressed too much in a turn/dive, or the prop being spun too fast.  Along with being shot at of course.

Yskonyn

Oh just admit that you like it so much because the combat is in slow motion and you can keep up this way! *biggrin
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Yskonyn on April 28, 2014, 12:33:57 AM
Oh just admit that you like it so much because the combat is in slow motion and you can keep up this way! *biggrin
lol - I didn't know the combat was in slow motion! That looked fast to me!  ;D
Alba gu' brath

RooksBailey

That was a cool vid.  The idea of such a detailed combat engine running in a full featured sandbox space game is very exciting.  Hoping Braben can pull this off....
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

mikeck

Well, alpha 4 came out today with the addition of trading, 5 systems each with several planets, additional hyperspace effects, which are freaking awesome, supercruise and some other things here and there.  once a play around with a bit I'll let you know but things look pretty good for this one.

Edit: played around a bit. There are lots (25 or so) commodities to trade...at least at the Beagle 2 station. Not bad for an alpha. The sounds and effects for both hyperspace and super-cruise are incredible. Listening to your ship creak and clang is very immersive. Planetary graphics are top notch including the effects as you fly through a planets rings...chunks of rock and ice everywhere.

At this point, it's just is alpha backers (suckers) so space is big and empty but so far so good.

Here's what happens when you super-cruise into a planetary ring. Still kind of clunky but you get a good idea as to the graphics and sound

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vZdEBIMjYM4

Here are the new hyperspace effects....be patient as this guy has problems aligning himself. Takes about 25 seconds

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FIPVegyKksI