Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

I was sold on this after the first vid I watched.  And it was just some dude docking!  The sounds, motion, and interface all looked really immersive.

But I'm gonna wait until it's at least in Beta before buying in. 

mikeck

So...two picks of one of the planets. The "rocky" one is the view as you come out of the bottom of the ring system
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

I cannot believe the immersion you get from this game. It's an absolute first day buy for me - I'll even buy in early when it's more reasonably priced.

Simply cannot wait! I'm struggling!  :D
Alba gu' brath

jomni

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 16, 2014, 12:58:29 AM
I cannot believe the immersion you get from this game. It's an absolute first day buy for me - I'll even buy in early when it's more reasonably priced.

Simply cannot wait! I'm struggling!  :D

+1...get to a more reasonable price and I likely will be in as well.

Jarhead0331

I can't believe I have to wait another two weeks before I can try these features. Arrrrg.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

BanzaiCat

I've not heard of this before and just noticed this thread...it DOES look super freaking cool, but $300, really?

I guess it's about perception and means...if I were a single man making what I do now, with no kids, I might slip for a game like that, but right now, it's impossibru to dump that much jack on a game. Even if it were $60 that's still too damn high. I say that because hell, everything goes way down in price eventually. If I dumped $300 on this now and in a year or two it's 'only' $50...

Then again I'm pretty adept at putting my head in the sand and ignoring shiny, expensive things until they go on sale on Steam...lol.

mikeck

Well it's not $300 anymore that's if you wanted to get in a few months ago. The premium Beta which will be available on May 31 is $150. Still pretty pricey but if you just wait until the game comes out I'm sure it will be much more reasonably priced although I'm sure it will still be expensive... My bet is around $75 or so.... I've absolutely nothing to base that on but just a guess

Gusington

Also waiting for a price drop here. Once it does I'm all over it like a cheap suit.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con

It looks good but I am crunched for time and I wonder how repetitive this becomes (limited textures for space stations etc).

Not fair to ask this yet from only seeing one early beta clip but I think I will wait to see what the community thinks after they have been playing in it for a while.  Last thing I need is an expensive time sink like WoW that after a year or two becomes a grind that is too much like work.

Con

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Con on May 16, 2014, 08:46:02 AM
It looks good but I am crunched for time and I wonder how repetitive this becomes (limited textures for space stations etc).

Not fair to ask this yet from only seeing one early beta clip but I think I will wait to see what the community thinks after they have been playing in it for a while.  Last thing I need is an expensive time sink like WoW that after a year or two becomes a grind that is too much like work.

Con
lol

A "year or two" is your monies worth right there. Surely no game goes beyond that and doesn't feel samey?

I know a "week or two" would be more inline with my gaming habits!  ^-^
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 16, 2014, 08:47:41 AM

This is pretty much me as well. It's a rare game that keeps me coming back for more over a constant period of time. This game does look like something that might do that for me, but not without a super gaming rig and not the six-year-old one I have that's still managing to chug along.

Gusington

For me the TW series has the longest legs. Hell tonight I am firing up the M2TW Crusades campaign which is 7-8 years old and I have already beaten it a few times.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 16, 2014, 08:47:41 AM
Quote from: Con on May 16, 2014, 08:46:02 AM

Con
lol

A "year or two" is your monies worth right there. Surely no game goes beyond that and doesn't feel samey?

What I meant is that you get sucked in, start the whole leveling thing and then look around after a while and realize that your just not enjoying yourself due to repetition, or having to be part of an organized group/guild in order to access the better content (requiring a large time commitment).  I just dont have the bandwidth for these types of games anymore.  Its not just a question of money its a question of what do I spend my limited and fractured gaming hours on.

Con