Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Con on May 16, 2014, 10:27:21 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 16, 2014, 08:47:41 AM
Quote from: Con on May 16, 2014, 08:46:02 AM
It looks good but I am crunched for time and I wonder how repetitive this becomes (limited textures for space stations etc).

Not fair to ask this yet from only seeing one early beta clip but I think I will wait to see what the community thinks after they have been playing in it for a while.  Last thing I need is an expensive time sink like WoW that after a year or two becomes a grind that is too much like work.

Con
lol

A "year or two" is your monies worth right there. Surely no game goes beyond that and doesn't feel samey?

I know a "week or two" would be more inline with my gaming habits!  ^-^

What I meant is that you get sucked in, start the whole leveling thing and then look around after a while and realize that your just not enjoying yourself due to repetition, or having to be part of an organized group/guild in order to access the better content (requiring a large time commitment).  I just dont have the bandwidth for these types of games anymore.  Its not just a question of money its a question of what do I spend my limited and fractured gaming hours on.

Con

I know. I was just pulling your chain. I got the same way with World of Warcraft a few years ago.
Alba gu' brath

Con

Though I can feel the pull of the game...it wants to suck me in!

Con

mikeck

It's actually still in alpha.

Frontier just released a newsletter mentions there will be different types of stations not just the one you see in the movies... but more traditional looking space stations as well
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Another screenie. Nothing special but it shows the attention to detail. Notice the detailed clouds and such on te planet as well as an orbiting moon (is there another kind ?)
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

I'm just blown away with the immersion I see on the videos.

I also like the "sneak" around aspect - something a trader/smuggler might want to do and not something available in X-Rebirth

I'm very excited about this one - I just hope Matrix don't get their hands on it and label it "premium" (ok - that was a slap and a joke - but more joke)
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

A few more pics....I would post in the screenshot forum but I know many are interested in the progression of the game. Mods,
Let me know if I should just post in that thread

Meanwhile: (these are not mine,
They are posted in some frontier threads...although I will tell you that I have experienced these same views so they are authentic)

Nefaro

I'm unfamiliar with the details but is E:D supposed to be very multi-player oriented?

I've seen it alluded to in some vids as if it will be almost MMO-like in scale.

JudgeDredd

I believe the Alpha and beta are - I have no idea about the main game though, so I do understand why you are asking
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

It will be both multiplayer and single player. The universe will be the same just a question of whether other players are in it or not.... or just and PCs depending on your selection.  In the alpha phase, there are single player missions but if you want to fly around the open universe and trade it's multiplayer. I have not run into another player yet and I've been playing for about six hours

JudgeDredd

As always, seeing this game makes me want to fire up X-Rebirth.

I did just that at the weekend - playing little else. Spent more hours on it this weekend than I have since I had it I think.

Unfortunately it seemed soulless. I made the mistake of taking on a mission to collect Ore from another system. Flew all the way there only to realise, after much hunting about, that it wasn't to buy the ore, but to harvest it. Not only do I know nothing about harvesting ore, but only having the Skunk means I probably couldn't transport it anywhere anyway.

So - as always, I fly about, land, collect all the freebies, have the occasional, horrible, inane chat with NPCs, fly about some more, shoot shit (in what appears to be pretty lame combat), land.

I get thanked for helping a station or a ship and my credibility goes up...I'm sure that will mean something, but the effect isn't outstandingly noticeable to me.

I don't know. I'm just disappointed in it.  :(
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: mikeck on May 19, 2014, 07:21:57 AM
It will be both multiplayer and single player. The universe will be the same just a question of whether other players are in it or not.... or just and PCs depending on your selection.  In the alpha phase, there are single player missions but if you want to fly around the open universe and trade it's multiplayer. I have not run into another player yet and I've been playing for about six hours

so is the multiplayer version a universe filled with only other players and no AI/bots? What interractions take place in MP that wont be in SP?

just curious, id been all 'single-player' about it, but can now see the MP side of things and dont know which id prefer

mikeck

From what understand, you will have 3 choices; multiplayer, single player online and single player off-line. The first two involve a procedural universe where all sorts of things happen. About 400,000,000,000 stars will be created representing the entire galaxy and you can fly to any of them. In multiplayer, there will be Other players as well as NPCs that trade, pirate, fight and otherwise interact.
In single player, it's the same but all NPC. The univers is still dynamic and an attack on a station supplying wheat to everyone will drive up the price.

Now in offline mode, you get the same universe but I think (think...not sure) that some events are limited. Events may be added by developers like: ok, there is a war now between these two groups.
You wouldn't get that if you never played online...something like that.

At any rate, single on line and multi online will be the same...is just whether the server "isolates you" so you don't meet others

Single player offline will contain all the trading and huge universe as well

Edit: it has been said that many of the stars will have planets added based on the Kepler discoveries. Most of the 400 billion stars will be created when you arrive with planets but no stations or population. I think the populated systems with stations will be in the hundreds...but I'm just making an educated guess

undercovergeek

sounds like MP is the way to go

recently read a piece about a group of people in EVE that actively seek and hunt down Titans and destroy you - is 'grouping' represented or is it every man for himself - i could see 'companies' been formed and dont know if thats a good thing or not

mikeck

There is some discussion going on now about penalties for grieving (meaning shooting and killing other players just to do it...no purpose)  but there will be piracy and things like that so there will be players out there who form trade groups and pirate groups;but there's a bounty on your head if you pirate and the higher the bounty more chance someone is going to stab you in the back and collect

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on May 19, 2014, 11:34:55 AM
There is some discussion going on now about penalties for grieving (meaning shooting and killing other players just to do it...no purpose)  but there will be piracy and things like that so there will be players out there who form trade groups and pirate groups;but there's a bounty on your head if you pirate and the higher the bounty more chance someone is going to stab you in the back and collect

There has always been an issue with such PK Bounties.  The player with the bounty on their head just gets a buddy to kill him and then they split the loot.   ::)

I don't think there's ever been a proper safeguard invented for such a bounty system.  The earliest one I remember was in Ultima Online.