Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Quote from: Nefaro on May 19, 2014, 06:41:54 PM
Quote from: mikeck on May 19, 2014, 11:34:55 AM
There is some discussion going on now about penalties for grieving (meaning shooting and killing other players just to do it...no purpose)  but there will be piracy and things like that so there will be players out there who form trade groups and pirate groups;but there's a bounty on your head if you pirate and the higher the bounty more chance someone is going to stab you in the back and collect

There has always been an issue with such PK Bounties.  The player with the bounty on their head just gets a buddy to kill him and then they split the loot.   ::)

I don't think there's ever been a proper safeguard invented for such a bounty system.  The earliest one I remember was in Ultima Online.

Maybe. The problem here is that pirating is part of the game. Some people will decide to be pirates and legitimately attack you. It's hard to allow that but prevent pointless killing. Right now it's easy to keep away from other players if you want. There were several alpha players who were grieving for a time but the community identified them and everyone kind of Ganged up on them. Who knows...if it becomes a problem, I will just move to single player.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Just a little update. I wondered if you could actually travel between stars on "super cruise" or whether each star system (with planets) was a "room" a la "X series"

Turns out you can I guess...a seamless galaxy. Took this guy an hour and a half real time, but he made it:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17339

What I find interesting is the galaxy contains all of the actual stars, their real locations related to eachother and their names and types. So if you were at Sol, you could look off and see the Orion Nebula. If you wanted, you could then fly to Rigel or Betelgeuse or any other star in that constellation by picking it out on the galaxy map and hyperspace-in  there. Also, they have included the Kepler data on planets...so you could fly to Kepler 22 (whatever star that is) and see the developers idea of what planets are around it based on the Nasa info.

If there is a star in the night sky where you live, then it's in the same place relative in the game and you can fly there. Now, this is what we are told...and there is a big ass galaxy map that has all of these...only right now you can only go to 5 star systems.

Here is a link to the sub forum where each sticky describes how a part of the game works. May answer a lot of questions:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=36

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Yeah. I will believe it when I see it but that's what they say

Rayfer

Did I understand that correctly; it took over an hour of real life time to get from one star system to another?

mikeck

I don't know whether he traveled from one star system to a separate star system or whether this was a binary star system where he went  from one to the other within the same system. I think the latter only because you can hyperspace to other systems.

Either way it's impressive. But don't worry usually you can hyperspace from one star to another which is instantaneous that's what made me think this was a second star in a binary star system and took him an hour to get to it.

mikeck

Interesting video showing the immense galaxy map. You can see how many stars are in the database. Eventually, you can travel to any of them...all 400,000,000,000. It's procedurally generated with the star type and number of planets stored to make sure it generates the proper star.

Fly to Sirius...get a big blue star. Fly to Rigel...get a big ass red star. Even binary stars

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=clJwjraN_5Q

mikeck

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mRbmkIB9pxo

Short combat video. Guy is ambushed and runs and hides inside a freighter. Then goes all Kamikazi

WYBaugh

What controller do you guys use with the game?

Jarhead0331

X-52 pro...soon to be X-55 Rhino
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: WYBaugh on May 25, 2014, 03:37:23 PM
What controller do you guys use with the game?

I use some 10 year old Logitech stick with a throttle and hat

undercovergeek

premium beta goes live for £100 on 31 May - its a chin scratcher

but then i havent played a game with a joystick since Daley Thompsons olympics and probably need another 100 for that

mikeck

You can use the keyboard and mouse or an xbox controller also

undercovergeek

is that the difference between been a combat veteran and a spinning hunk of space junk though?

mikeck

I don't think it matters for me. There are guys who have special chairs set up with dual screens and duel sticks with things on their heads....so whether I use te keyboard or my Logitech, I'm not going to be high on the kill ladder