Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

I believe that you can buy large freighters  but not pilot them. I don't think you can buy or pilot capital ships. But that's the way elite had always been. You are a trader/pirate/assassin...not a navy captain.
There has never been a "larger" game. It will have 400,000,000 stars
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

Do you think players will be able to indirectly control large vessels in the vein of the X games?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

That doesn't really bother me. Immersion and cool kit to carry out my job is all I'm bothered about.

X-Rebirth you need a big ship to trade really...the one you've got isn't really fit for purpose. So as long as the kit I can get (available ships and guns/missiles) allows me to go trading/assassinating/destroying, I'm cool  :D
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 01, 2014, 10:59:57 AM
Do you think players will be able to indirectly control large vessels in the vein of the X games?

No, I don't believe so. You will get to "control" large freighters via commands but as far as actually piloting??? You are stuck with fighters (sidewinder) through a corvette size ship (anaconda). It is what it is so if piloting a huge cruiser is your thing, look elsewhere
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

Ok. Well I'm going to be a sucker and jump on board with this next month. I have some money coming towards me and whilst pretty much all of it is going into our joint account, I'm pinching some.

Is it online only? I can't remember whether that was mentioned or not.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

iirc - 3 types - online, partial online and SP

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

mikeck

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 02, 2014, 08:45:18 AM
Ok. Well I'm going to be a sucker and jump on board with this next month. I have some money coming towards me and whilst pretty much all of it is going into our joint account, I'm pinching some.

Is it online only? I can't remember whether that was mentioned or not.

No, there is a single player mode as well.

Grim.Reaper

I wish I could jump in as well....but spending over  $100 for a game will be tough again, especially after I got burned with World in Flames....they have scarred me for life!

JudgeDredd

I couldn't help myself...what's a month anyway!

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I was floundering around online trying to work things out, get my controls sorted and familiarising myself with the mechanics and interface when I was given a warning about being intercepted or something.

I was then hit from "nowhere" and then saw the offender. As is a Scotsmans way - run away and fight another day (after observing a spider on a wall)...maybe. So I ran silent (I have no idea if that helped - but he didn't come back until I took silent off) and I set a jump to "somewhere"...came out of silent and he started harassing me again. But I dodged him - I guess he was maybe as n00b as me.

Anyway - jumped the hell out of there and now I have to go to work  :(
Alba gu' brath

jomni

Need some Noob decals on your ship.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on June 03, 2014, 01:24:12 AM
Need some Noob decals on your ship.
He probably knew - the way I was just sitting around and not doing alot and what I was doing I was doing bad!
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

well done JD - let us know how it plays

JudgeDredd

I get a "well done" for this one? I was expecting the normal weak willed ridicule  ;D

It is as atmospheric as I expected from the videos. Just the simple sound and shake as you speed up, the graphical feedback you get with the speed etc - just astounding.

I had to set all the keys - and I'm still not happy with my mappings - so I'll likely go through them again and change them (before they get stuck in ma heed).

I only just found out this morning how to dock - you need to request. I didn't do so last night and got a message saying I was tresspassing. I backed off - and tried again - same thing so then I thought "Oh well - I'll go in anyway"...within 2 minutes, just as I was about to land and ignoring all the warnings, I was blasted INSIDE the station  :D
Alba gu' brath