Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mikeck on June 16, 2014, 02:51:20 PM
Well, the sidewinder only has four slots. Get a bigger ship like a cobra and you have some space. In the full game, there will be missions and payment for the discovery of new systems and such that will pay
lol - I can't make any money. And at 100 credits for a kill, it's going to take an AWFUL long time to get a bigger, better ship. Also, I've LOST money in the very few trades I've done.

It's early though...so I'm not complaining - just saying - it's a biatch to try and make money
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

So I left space dock last night with my pitiful 4 lots of grain which I bought for 33 each in the hope of trying to make some money.

So there I was sitting around outside space dock. I viewed the galaxy map and specified my destination and off I went - hyper jump. When I came out of hyper jump, I went back into the galaxy map and selected the space dock as my target, locked it and elected to super cruise to it.

So I'm poodling along in super cruise and I get an Interdiction Alert. I've had them before, so I wasn't too fussed. I knew the score - drop out of super cruise, spin about a bit  and then carry on my way. But this time, whomever it was started firing at me.

So here I am - 23k kilometers away from my destination. I'm not going to get there fast - not without supercruise. So I pull out my one and only wee gun and start heading all over the place to try and hit this guy. Unfortunately, he's either bloody good (or at least bloody better than me) or he has a better spaceship. He fired a missile and in short time, my shields have gone down.

So I start weaving, slowing down, speeding up, yawing left and right, up and down, spinning all to try and avoid his continuous laser fire. My shields have now gone and sparks and smoke are coming up from my cockpit with each extra hit.

Anyway - I thought I should try and bail quick time. So I activated super cruise again. I was told I couldn't because I had my guns deployed (or debris scoop or landing gear). So I retracted my laser (it wasn't any use to me anyway against this guy) and I activated super cruise...but it was charging hellishly slow.

It was then I noticed I had most of my energy focused on engines (in order to get more regular boost). It had been left like that when I left the last space port. So I switch the focus to systems in the hope that super cruise came online faster...it didn't (I don't think anyway)

So the charging panel showed and all the while I'm trying to make myself as hard a target to hit as I could. I was succeeding...but still being hit. Eventually the 4 second counter came up......4.......3......2.......................1......engage!

And off I went - to the safety of the space port (there's a no fire area around a space port). Job done.

Hull integrity is at 60% which I couldn't afford to repair but I was able to repair some other minor system damage.

That was a close one! That guy really wanted my grain!  ;D
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

was there an opportunity to go stealth? or is that only possible if there are rocks and asteroids to hide behind?

Yskonyn

Cool story!

I bet he was really hungry!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

funny as hell if he was wheat intolerant

we need more dietary problems in games!!

JudgeDredd

tbh I was taking such a beating I thought it best just to concentrate on avoiding his attentions and trying to super cruise.

From what little I know, stealth only acts like ECM (I think) in that in scrambles the radar on the attackers ship and doesn't give a proper fix - but if he has eyes on - it'll be hard to go silent and avoid his aggression.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

so can you do a milennium falcon and land on an asteroid and switch everything off?

JudgeDredd

lol - I think you are mistaking me for someone who knows how to play this.

But no - I do not think so - though that would be cool
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 19, 2014, 05:42:22 AM
lol - I think you are mistaking me for someone who knows how to play this.

But no - I do not think so - though that would be cool

from my very distant memories of Elite C64 - how are you finding docking - this was the biggest ball ache for me as an 11yr old, fly for miles, fight my way past the pirates and obliterate myself on the space station wall!!

and hows combat - are you using a stick or KBM?

JudgeDredd

I'm using a stick but also keyboard (so many actions).

Docking is easy peasy. Not boring easy - but easy enough. I haven't crashed once. What IS difficult is getting to the space dock itself - because they are always close to a star or planet and therefore try and super cruise directly to it and you get a Proximity warning and spin out...taking you out of super cruise

I'm finding alot of it difficult. I've only been able to go between 3 systems - and I think one of them didn't have a port. I'm also losing what little money I had. Each transaction is losing me money. I've not found (or don't know how to find) space loot if any is around.

But I need a good manual to read...for the likes of whether it would be worth going into silent running whilst under attack.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

presumably theres something that allows you to spy on the market value of the goods in other systems before you buy them in yours?

oh man im talking myself into this game!

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on June 16, 2014, 02:51:20 PM
Well, the sidewinder only has four slots. Get a bigger ship like a cobra and you have some space. In the full game, there will be missions and payment for the discovery of new systems and such that will pay

Finally.. some real exploration.  I hope that facet ends up being as fun as I think it can.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 19, 2014, 05:58:25 AM
presumably theres something that allows you to spy on the market value of the goods in other systems before you buy them in yours?

oh man im talking myself into this game!
Not that I know of - yet
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

So someone killed me last night - took my food  :( and therefore my money. I have no goods or money now  :(
Alba gu' brath

vyshka

That was rude of them. Any idea if they plan to lower the beta price as they get closer to launch? Would love to jump in, but $150 is enough to keep me rational and not click the buy button.