Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chemkid

so fresh and still, i feel nostalgic!
...the latest version (beta 1.00) feels so much like the old days.
playing elite on my c64 - just starting fresh in orbit right in front of an rotation station - ready to dock! (without the docking-computer)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 30, 2014, 06:39:55 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 30, 2014, 06:26:32 AM
walk into my office during game time...."hey! I know you don't like games, but you have to check this out."

:o

i knew i should have been a solicitor

LoL. I mean my home office.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

i surrender - its a purchase once im home on Friday

le sigh

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

but its so beautiful

and JH makes people queue into his office so he can show them

Cougar_DK

I just bought it.... I know, I'm weak!  >:D
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

devoid of any sim experience at all and therefore devoid of any simming equipment - would you guys recommend a stick first or track ir (i only googled track ir for the first time this afternoon after watching you guys refer to it over the years)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 30, 2014, 10:48:05 AM
devoid of any sim experience at all and therefore devoid of any simming equipment - would you guys recommend a stick first or track ir (i only googled track ir for the first time this afternoon after watching you guys refer to it over the years)

Stick.  Preferably a HOTAS. I am not currently using Track IR with elite and I am still enjoying it.  However, a HOTAS is a must, in my opinion. Too bad you missed my recent give-away of my X-52. It went to another lucky forum member.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 30, 2014, 11:47:50 AM

Stick.  Preferably a HOTAS. I am not currently using Track IR with elite and I am still enjoying it.  However, a HOTAS is a must, in my opinion. Too bad you missed my recent give-away of my X-52. It went to another lucky forum member.

thanks JH - at the time the stick would have been wasted on me

educate me - does HOTAS describe one of those with a manual thrust lever?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 30, 2014, 01:42:35 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 30, 2014, 11:47:50 AM

thanks JH - at the time the stick would have been wasted on me

educate me - does HOTAS describe one of those with a manual thrust lever?

HOTAS stands for Hands on Throttle and Stick.  Essentially, just as you say, a joystick and throttle combo. 

I use a Saitek X-52 Pro with Track IR and it's very immersive. 

I do recommend the X-52 Pro stick or the X-55.  Both have a lot of buttons, a good feel and work very well in the game.  The downside is they're pricey, and if this is the only sim you play, it might not be worth it. 

The Thrustmaster T-Flight is an economical alternative at a $50 price point, but I don't personally like the layout and the button count.  Also, I'm leery of a "You get what you pay for" experience with that stick. 

You might also look at CH products Fighterstick line.  It's a well regarded manufacturer, and they'll let you buy the stick and throttle separately if you want to slowly level up (although not at a discount).
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

undercovergeek

and for your track IR - are you using 4 or 5 - is there a vast difference between the 2?

SirAndrewD

I use Track IR 5.  I never used 4 so I don't really know if the differences are noticeable. 

The naturalpoint website has a good breakdown of the two here:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/trackir-product-comparison.html
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I have 4. If you're going to buy one, I don't see any reason to get 4 over 5, unless there is a drastic price difference.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Looks like you are taking the plunge after all:)

As for TrackIR, although not required, I find it extremely helpful in this game as well as other flight games....now that I have it, hard for me to play games without it personally.  Another valuable tool I would recommend checking out is VoiceAttack...it allows you to use verbal commands to do everything within the game...I am not that great with a bunch of keyboard/flight sitck controls and this frees me from those things....plus I find it faster than trying to remember mappings...it is only $8 if you decide to go for it.