Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 30, 2014, 01:54:53 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 30, 2014, 01:42:35 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 30, 2014, 11:47:50 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 30, 2014, 10:48:05 AM
devoid of any sim experience at all and therefore devoid of any simming equipment - would you guys recommend a stick first or track ir (i only googled track ir for the first time this afternoon after watching you guys refer to it over the years)

Stick.  Preferably a HOTAS. I am not currently using Track IR with elite and I am still enjoying it.  However, a HOTAS is a must, in my opinion. Too bad you missed my recent give-away of my X-52. It went to another lucky forum member.

thanks JH - at the time the stick would have been wasted on me

educate me - does HOTAS describe one of those with a manual thrust lever?

HOTAS stands for Hands on Throttle and Stick.  Essentially, just as you say, a joystick and throttle combo. 

I use a Saitek X-52 Pro with Track IR and it's very immersive. 

I do recommend the X-52 Pro stick or the X-55.  Both have a lot of buttons, a good feel and work very well in the game.  The downside is they're pricey, and if this is the only sim you play, it might not be worth it. 

The Thrustmaster T-Flight is an economical alternative at a $50 price point, but I don't personally like the layout and the button count.  Also, I'm leery of a "You get what you pay for" experience with that stick. 

You might also look at CH products Fighterstick line.  It's a well regarded manufacturer, and they'll let you buy the stick and throttle separately if you want to slowly level up (although not at a discount).

I have actually had good luck with the Thrustmaster T-Hotas and strangely enough, I enjoy it more than my X52 for some reason...just feels better too me.  And it seems it is the flight stick most discussed on Elite forums, but of course that doesn't make it the best stick out there.  I am just an average player and I find it the best for me personally.

Grim.Reaper

So I see the skins have been released for purchase...they appear to range in $3.50-$5.00 per skin....thought they would be a little cheaper or in a bundle.  Will have to ponder whether worth that for just a different look.  Seems like 24 currently available.

Cougar_DK

I have choosen CH as my HOTAS, after my Hotas Cougar was a bit to heavy for my wrist. I have the Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Throttle Quadrant and Pro pedals so if you want info then fire away :)

And using TrackIR is damn impressive in this game. Love the 'dogfight' scenarios while still setting up controls and learning all the different systems.
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

mikeck

99 out of 100 threads I this sight me other elite sighs have to do with what stick someone is using. I'm using a Logitech from 2002 and it works Great
On to the be: VERY HAPPY TO SEE they are up to 56 systems and solo gameplay. I live exploring without having to worry about being grieved. This game is a gem
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Staggerwing

Quote from: mikeck on July 30, 2014, 07:45:44 PM
99 out of 100 threads I this sight me other elite sighs have to do with what stick someone is using. I'm using a Logitech from 2002 and it works Great
On to the be: VERY HAPPY TO SEE they are up to 56 systems and solo gameplay. I live exploring without having to worry about being grieved. This game is a gem

What did you do to piss off your autocorrect that badly?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Staggerwing

When is the game supposed to release? Days? Weeks? The beta is $75 and the pre purchase for day-1 unlock is $50.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 30, 2014, 07:56:30 PM
When is the game supposed to release? Days? Weeks? The beta is $75 and the pre purchase for day-1 unlock is $50.

Last info shared was sometime by the end of 2014....nothing any more specific at this point.

Jarhead0331

Got my first kill. By the end of the night, I had 5! Awesome game. Totally loving it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

RooksBailey

Quote from: Toonces on July 30, 2014, 11:34:52 PM
Oh man...nice...

That was pretty cool.   :coolsmiley:

But I will not succumb!  Well, at least not before the gamma test.  The game should be much further along and more bug free by then (flimsy excuse, I know  :)  ).

Q: I remember that in one of the early dev diaries, Braben mentioned that larger ships are going to have their interior space mapped out so that if you blow a hole in, say, the hull of a cargo freighter, the player might actually see cargo spill out and stuff like that.  Is that implemented yet?
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

undercovergeek

it is downloaded, then went to bed and im out all night tonight - sob

im going to blast it at the weekend and see if i can fly with a mouse and keyboard, and then see if my first purchase is stick or track IR because i do like the looking around the cockpit and watching fighters pass you by on the port or starboard

JudgeDredd

I've tried TrackIR so many times and failed miserably everytime.

And welcome aboard  ;D
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 31, 2014, 03:24:53 AM
it is downloaded, then went to bed and im out all night tonight - sob

im going to blast it at the weekend and see if i can fly with a mouse and keyboard, and then see if my first purchase is stick or track IR because i do like the looking around the cockpit and watching fighters pass you by on the port or starboard

It will be interesting to hear how a mouse and keyboard works out, it does seem like quite a few are playing that way too.  I am just much better with some kind of controller in most cases.  If you have a gamepad, many people seem to make that work too.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on July 31, 2014, 07:00:05 AM
Are a bunch of DLCs planned?

Only things known are two planned big expansions and a bunch of ship skins.  All depends on sales.