Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

I'm going to hang on until full release. Hopefully, my aged Saitek X-45 combo will work alright with it.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

I have a Thrustmaster waiting to be unboxed. And a cool joystick for this game too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Gusington on July 31, 2014, 12:41:40 PM
I have a Thrustmaster waiting to be unboxed.

I just bet you do.   ^-^
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 30, 2014, 03:58:13 PM

I have actually had good luck with the Thrustmaster T-Hotas and strangely enough, I enjoy it more than my X52 for some reason...just feels better too me.  And it seems it is the flight stick most discussed on Elite forums, but of course that doesn't make it the best stick out there.  I am just an average player and I find it the best for me personally.

Mine has also done surprisingly well for the price.  Some of the joystick handles feel too cramped, making my hand fingers feel all squeezed in too tightly together (like my old Saitek X45 did).  This one is inexpensive and fairly comfortable.  The stick has been, and stayed, pretty tight.  There is no extra "play" in it after much use.

My only complaint is that I'd like to have more hat switches and buttons, so I'll probably have to cough up the big cash for something else before long.  It has enough for WWI and II flight sims but the modern ones have so much more button pushing that should be mapped to the HOTAS (as it is in RL).

Con

Never used TrackIR looks like it would be great for this game.  Can you use trackIR with a joystick?

Con
So little time for gaming I must resist another game vortex like Elite

TacticalWargames

Yes you can mate. Infact i's designed for sims really. Works well with ARMA series aswell.

Jarhead0331

What is te trick to making money for kills in the Federal Distress Zone? I've got 12 kills and haven't made a dime...I see all these videos of people making a fortune in the zone by making kills.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 31, 2014, 06:18:31 PM
What is te trick to making money for kills in the Federal Distress Zone? I've got 12 kills and haven't made a dime...I see all these videos of people making a fortune in the zone by making kills.

I think you have to turn the bounties in now.  This is something that's escaping me as well however.  I'm instead running cargo, and occasionally running from players who now have the ability to intercept me in supercruise.  Had a few interesting conversations with the pirates though, good fun. 

If anyone sees me in game, I'm Commander W.Heisenberg.  Don't kill me.  Please. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Ok. I think I figured it out in theory, but it's going to have to wait until I get home from work today in order to test it out. damn it!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 01, 2014, 03:23:36 AM
Ok. I think I figured it out in theory, but it's going to have to wait until I get home from work today in order to test it out. damn it!

Let us know your cunning plan

Con

Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 31, 2014, 07:39:35 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 31, 2014, 06:18:31 PM

I think you have to turn the bounties in now.  This is something that's escaping me as well however.  I'm instead running cargo, and occasionally running from players who now have the ability to intercept me in supercruise.  Had a few interesting conversations with the pirates though, good fun. 

If anyone sees me in game, I'm Commander W.Heisenberg.  Don't kill me.  Please.

Hmmm if I do like this game I should get it now so I can lock up my favorite MMO gaming name BaconExplosion.  Dammit I need to stop finding any small thing to justify buying it

Con

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 01, 2014, 03:29:35 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 01, 2014, 03:23:36 AM

Let us know your cunning plan

I think what you need to do in order to get credit for kills is select a faction once you arrive in a conflict zone.  I think you do this on the left UI panel by going to the function page.  There should be an option there that permits you to select a faction.  Once you do this, theoretically, you should receive a combat bounty for every kill you make on the enemy faction. If anyone can try this during the day and report back, that would be great.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

a guy at SimHQ had the same problem

reply:-

Got to the Eranin Federal Distress location and join the Eranin forces. You will be fighting mostly federal fighters with weak shields and hulls. Even with one laser you will be killing them quite easily. Keep doing this until you have enough money for a second laser which will make the money come in quicker.

1. Do NOT join the Federation, you will be going PvP and will die in seconds unless you have a very well kitted out ship.

2. If you see a player controlled ship on the Federation side, assume he is in a ship far more capable than yours and get out ASAP.

3. Don't fly to a station when you are finished playing. Just Save and quit, this will mean you just keep appearing in the Eranin Fed Distress location.

4. If you are in the starter ship just fly til you die. It is pointless flying back to a station for repairs.
If you die in the starter ship having made less than ~2000cr, alt+tab and end the Elite Dangerous process. When you rejoin MP you will be back at the Eranin Federal Distress location.

Each kill nets you 500cr and in one 2 hour session you could easily make enough for an eagle or to upgrade your Sidewinder. Or do this a few times if you want a hauler to go the trading route.

Two points. To join a side make sure you select the faction you will fly for in the right hand menu under actions. Don't assume that joining the Eranin forces will protect you from player attack. I have never flown for the Eranin side and have always flown for the federation and always will. I am not alone in that.

SirAndrewD

The distress signal was a very good money maker in the premium Beta, but I haven't been since Beta 1 since I was under the impression you had to turn bounties in now, and therefore had to survive a combat encounter until you can get to a base.  This may just be for missions though.  If it works the old way, then yes, heading to the distress signal and knocking off Federals until you die is the fastest way I've found to build up a lot of initial capital. 

Also, it seems that people still can't interdict even though you can see other players while in frame shift mode, so all attempts to evade players last night was pointless.  My mewling requests for mercy are rescinded...for now.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I'm not playing pvp. I've only been playing the online solo.

Is there any back story to the factions? Who are they and what they represent? What differences in ships and tech, etc.?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog