Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 11, 2014, 04:51:32 PM
ooh....that will hurt. I hope the Eagle is good enough to put up with my crap flying (AND take the stooped occasional head on collision!)

I presume you can pay the insurance to get the Eagle you just had though?

you can pay a modest fee to get your Eagle back.  You can pay a little more to get all your weapons and equipment too. You should always keep 3000 to 4000 credits in the back just in case.

By the way, collisions area the only way I've ever been killed.  Its frustrating and with the loss of the vouchers it hurts everytime.  Stil a kickass game though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2014, 06:01:29 PM
ooh....that will hurt. I hope the Eagle is good enough to put up with my crap flying (AND take the stooped occasional head on collision!)

you can pay a modest fee to get your Eagle back.  You can pay a little more to get all your weapons and equipment too. You should always keep 3000 to 4000 credits in the back just in case.

By the way, collisions area the only way I've ever been killed.  Its frustrating and with the loss of the vouchers it hurts everytime.  Stil a kickass game though.

Depending on when you bought into the alpha/premium beta, you get a discount on insurance I believe
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

SirAndrewD

I would highly recommend the Viper over the Eagle.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 11, 2014, 06:47:37 PM

I would highly recommend the Viper over the Eagle.

Any suggestions on outfitting for the Viper? I just bought one last night. I'm thinking two Burst lasers and two multi-barrel cannons to start. Maybe two heat sinks to help with energy dissipation.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Nevermind. I just lost my Viper in a collision and was a couple grand short of having enough to buy the Viper back. I also lost vouchers for about 40 kills, that's about 20,000 credits.  After all I have been through, I refuse to start over in a sidewinder at this point. I worked so hard to get that stupid thing.

I'm going to need to shelve this for awhile...maybe when I come back to it, I'll try a merchant game?

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2014, 09:41:05 PM
Nevermind. I just lost my Viper in a collision and was a couple grand short of having enough to buy the Viper back. I also lost vouchers for about 40 kills, that's about 20,000 credits.  After all I have been through, I refuse to start over in a sidewinder at this point. I worked so hard to get that stupid thing.

I'm going to need to shelve this for awhile...maybe when I come back to it, I'll try a merchant game?
DAMN!

Collisions are really, really nasty...and they hurt even more when you've lost credits AND your latest lovely...so lol, but total sympathy.

The "bigger ships - do they not come with more shield power and hull protection? I would've thought (hoped?) maybe they'd survive collisions a bit better
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

What happens if you route more power to shields before collision?

JudgeDredd

If you could do that, you could probably avoid the collision. The collisions are REALLY fast!

Also - meant to say you don't put energy to shields so much as putting energy to systems...which will speed up shield generation. I don't know if that makes the shields stronger per se.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

googled it, cant find anything to suggest its a massive problem or that the herd is complaining

did find this though, which demonstrates how invaluable track IR could be, he never loses sight of his target because hes able to track it everywhere

JudgeDredd

It's only a "vocal" issue for me when I have quite a few kills and one mentalist takes out my Sidewinder!

I just couldn't be tempted to get TrackIR again. It's never worked for me. I don't know why - it just hasn't
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

yeah i know, i just wondered if it was a major 'yeah, were trying to fix it thing' after you and JH both switched the game off in frustration

JudgeDredd

lol. It will be a major frustration to anyone who leaves Azeban, goes to the Federal Distress Zone, gets 20 kills and is then rammed...twice. It'll definitely frustrate you then.

But as JH said, the game just feels superb. I love docking - though I wish they'd make it easier to find the entrance to the stations. Quite often I'm spending upwards of 5 minutes going round looking for the entrance.

I really wish I could get on with TrackIR.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

In the relatively short time that I actually had it, I do feel that the viper was a very solid craft. It survived several "bumps" very well without even losing shields. However, these were not high speed impacts. I think in the fighter sized craft, nothing is going to save you from a full speed head on impact. As JD said, they are very fast and very violent. Sometimes they are very difficult to avoid...I changed my play style to try to reduce them from occurring and I was largely successful. However, I guess I got just a little too overconfident in that viper.  I'm still in denial that I have to start over on a free sidewinder. On the other hand, collisions don't really matter much when you're driving a sidewinder because if you lose it, it's free to replace.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 12, 2014, 03:43:16 AM
lol. It will be a major frustration to anyone who leaves Azeban, goes to the Federal Distress Zone, gets 20 kills and is then rammed...twice. It'll definitely frustrate you then.

But as JH said, the game just feels superb. I love docking - though I wish they'd make it easier to find the entrance to the stations. Quite often I'm spending upwards of 5 minutes going round looking for the entrance.

I really wish I could get on with TrackIR.

i watched a video of a guy who had scooped some stray resources up and was taking it to the black market, he flew straight through the docking port at about 130, spun round, nose dived into his bay, jammed all on and landed inch perfect in like 30 seconds - it takes me about 6 of the allotted 9 mins as i approach at about 25, edge throught the port and chug to my bay - the guy was unbelievable

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2014, 09:41:05 PM

Sorry you lost your Viper JH.  I know how easy it is to lose your gear. Honestly, that's part of why I'm playing Beta, learning how to be careful when it matters.

For what it's worth, I agree with your loadout on the Viper.  Two solid lasers backed by multicannons is my preferred build.  The cannons rip through armor and lasers shields, and you can fire both together when you're really dishing out an alpha strike. 

Trading can be tedious, but I do believe it's the best way to make cash.  I've heard of a few using a hauler and a cannon to make a good living as a pirate, but I haven't tried it. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback