Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

no, i think its the one before, just the third one - you have the waste to shoot, then the really slow guy and the the sidewinder

1 lets play later and i restarted the game and killed him first time - was doing so much wrong and not using the lateral thrusters to come out of the turn before him and drop on his tail - now perfected, but dear god pulse lasers are crap!

Jarhead0331

I don't mind pulse lasers so much. They don't drain the energy reserve too quickly, whereas burst lasers do and pulse lasers will still destroy hulls very quickly. So I like being able to put more shots on target consistently, rather than fewer, but more powerful ones. Still, on the more advanced ships, I do go with burst lasers.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

i was quite fond of the multi cannons on the first tutorial

JudgeDredd

So I bought my Eagle - headed to the FDZ and almost lost the damn thing.

Maybe I shouldn't have jumped into combat without giving her a run. Also, I think I jumped into the FDZ when it was high on Fed units and low on Eranin units...'cos I was jumped on big time.

Thankfully the speed of the Eagle and boost allowed me to escape far enough to rebuild my shields (power was shifted to weapons and engines)...I headed back in with full shields and took out 3 Feds before getting the hell out of dodge with 24% hull!

By the way - I've just been going with the flow - but is there any reason why everyone chooses the Eranin as the side to take - do you get any money joining the Feds? Any more/less money? Bad rep?
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 14, 2014, 01:37:28 AM
So I bought my Eagle - headed to the FDZ and almost lost the damn thing.

Maybe I shouldn't have jumped into combat without giving her a run. Also, I think I jumped into the FDZ when it was high on Fed units and low on Eranin units...'cos I was jumped on big time.

Thankfully the speed of the Eagle and boost allowed me to escape far enough to rebuild my shields (power was shifted to weapons and engines)...I headed back in with full shields and took out 3 Feds before getting the hell out of dodge with 24% hull!

By the way - I've just been going with the flow - but is there any reason why everyone chooses the Eranin as the side to take - do you get any money joining the Feds? Any more/less money? Bad rep?

They choose Eranin because federal security fighters are easier to destroy than sidewinders.

I'm back in an Eagle too. I was going to hold out and wait to have enough for a viper, but I figured what the hell. I had a good night...I have my eagle equipped with a pulse laser and 2 burst lasers and I'm just plowing through those federal security fighters. I've got 40,000 in the bank so I should be back in a viper in the near future.

I really do love the eagle though...it's very fast and nimble and I love the way it's engine growls. I do look forward to the time when you can own more than one ship because this is one I would like to hold on to.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

7 mil for an anaconda - i flew past one last night and nearly crashed into the station wall - they look awesome

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 14, 2014, 06:23:13 AM
7 mil for an anaconda - i flew past one last night and nearly crashed into the station wall - they look awesome

Me too. I saw one docking in Azeban City as I was leaving. Took some nice photos of it. Will post them tonight. It's definitely my goal ship in he game presently. I just don't see myself ever making enough dosh to afford one.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

TacticalWargames

Jarhead, if it's anything like the original Elite I was playing near enough everyday for over a year trading to get the goodies I wanted. Then my save tape was chewed..oh the horror.

undercovergeek

save tape - lmao, the good old days

Jarhead0331

Quote from: TacticalWargames on August 14, 2014, 07:10:56 AM
Jarhead, if it's anything like the original Elite I was playing near enough everyday for over a year trading to get the goodies I wanted. Then my save tape was chewed..oh the horror.

Yeah...trading is definitely the way to go. Combat comes with too much risk and not enough reward. I think I'll eventually end up with a Cobra which has a modest cargo capacity, as well as a pretty stiff bite...eventually, the goal?  Anaconda!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

a lot of people are recommending the Cobra above the haulaer and Lakon 6 because of its ability to defend itself - it seems its a two way decision to make - strip the hauler of guns and learn to run or go cobra and fight

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 14, 2014, 10:40:08 AM
a lot of people are recommending the Cobra above the haulaer and Lakon 6 because of its ability to defend itself - it seems its a two way decision to make - strip the hauler of guns and learn to run or go cobra and fight

Yea. I get nervous when I come across a Cobra. I've been interdicted by them a couple times in my travels. So far, I've decided that caution is the better part of valor. Eventually, when I don't have much to lose, I'll engage them to see how tough they are, but if I'm returning to port to cash in vouchers, it just isn't worth the risk.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Just lost my Eagle. Same thing...15-20 kills, full shield and collision. I had already avoided loads at a hairs breadth.

And I have 1700 credits...I needed 2200 I think it was to replace my Eagle...so I'm back in a Sidewinder. SOB!

If only I had been smart and left when I had enough kills to cover the insurance. :uglystupid2:

Well...you live and learn. I have to say though - these collisions are a total pita.  >:(
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

One thing that is superb in this game - and someone else mentioned it in this thread - allowing you to assign a button to multiple controls depending on the task you are performing. Superb thinking!  O0
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

And again - new Sidewinder lost - head on!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!
Alba gu' brath