Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

JH passing on combat for...trading? INCONCEIVABLE

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2014, 01:23:45 PM

Well this is why I'm thinking a Cobra on the road to an Anaconda is the best path for me. They are both extremely versatile ships with significant combat and cargo capability. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I don't blame him - combat is infuriating with this collision bollox

I've lost ANOTHER 3 Sidewinders and god knows how many potential credits...all because you don't scarper as soon as you make a kill...because essentially that's what it comes down to...how many kills makes it worth your while travelling back to Azeban...1? 5? 10? 20? 50?

I'd argue 20 is a good haul to make it worth while going back to collect your bounty. Unfortunately, you are highly unlikely to get 20. I seldom get more than 10 before I'm taken out by a suicide fed!

I'm dropping it just now. I was really happy when I found out about the FDZ - unfortunately, it's proved far FAR more frustrating than it has lucrative. I've absolutely lost far more vouchers than I've cashed

I'm going to play some Steel Beasts tonight and rethink this one. Trouble is, trading is useless with 4 cargo...and even if you could find 4 stock with huge benefit - you've got to offload them...and with very little knowledge of the systems, what's there and whether you can sell (and make a profit) makes it far too cumbersome for that at the moment!

So - I'm oot for the mo. My excitement has been crushed for the moment. I just wish they'd make it so a collision maybe just took out 50% - even more perhaps - just leave you with enough to say "Right - time to bail"
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 14, 2014, 01:34:54 PM

I've lost ANOTHER 3 Sidewinders and god knows how many potential credits...all because you don't scarper as soon as you make a kill...because essentially that's what it comes down to...how many kills makes it worth your while travelling back to Azeban...1? 5? 10? 20? 50?

I'd argue 20 is a good haul to make it worth while going back to collect your bounty. Unfortunately, you are highly unlikely to get 20. I seldom get more than 10 before I'm taken out by a suicide fed!

I'm dropping it just now. I was really happy when I found out about the FDZ - unfortunately, it's proved far FAR more frustrating than it has lucrative. I've absolutely lost far more vouchers than I've cashed

I'm going to play some Steel Beasts tonight and rethink this one. Trouble is, trading is useless with 4 cargo...and even if you could find 4 stock with huge benefit - you've got to offload them...and with very little knowledge of the systems, what's there and whether you can sell (and make a profit) makes it far too cumbersome for that at the moment!

So - I'm oot for the mo. My excitement has been crushed for the moment. I just wish they'd make it so a collision maybe just took out 50% - even more perhaps - just leave you with enough to say "Right - time to bail"

Good luck staying away. I was in the same spot as you.  I held out for maybe half a day.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2014, 01:23:45 PM

You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

I'm not quite the combat veteran but if I understand you you're both head on and then crash..... could you, umm move?

undercovergeek

There is a tool jd that tells you the best price for goods between 2 systems

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 14, 2014, 02:49:14 PM
I'm not quite the combat veteran but if I understand you you're both head on and then crash..... could you, umm move?

Of course...9 times out of 10, I am able to avoid a head on collision, but combat in space is fast, aggressive and violent. First, I will always try to avoid facing an enemy fighter head on at high speed....however, sometimes you have no choice but to engage in head on combat because you do not want to roll and expose your aft or flanks. Second, on those occasions where you have to engage in a head on scenario, sometimes when you bank at the last moment, you or your opponent may bank into each other. At those speeds it is just sometimes simply unavoidable.  I have over 600 kills and have maybe been involved in 15 head on collisions that have resulted in catastrophe. That's a pretty fair ratio, I think.

The reason it is so frustrating in this game is because you lose all the progress you have made in the flight up to the collision. So if you've been engaged in white knuckle combat for over an hour and have 60 kills when the collision occurs, you lose all the vouchers that you earned from those kills. That's like 21,000 credits.  Additionally, you lose your ship and equipment, and although you can buy it back through insurance at a reduced price, sometimes you just don't have enough in the bank, in which case ALL is lost.  With no option to save, this is a particularly harsh result.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2014, 03:15:06 PM

Of course...9 times out of 10, I am able to avoid a head on collision, but combat in space is fast, aggressive and violent. First, I will always try to avoid facing an enemy fighter head on at high speed....however, sometimes you have no choice but to engage in head on combat because you do not want to roll and expose your aft or flanks. Second, on those occasions where you have to engage in a head on scenario, sometimes when you bank at the last moment, you or your opponent may bank into each other. At those speeds it is just sometimes simply unavoidable.  I have over 600 kills and have maybe been involved in 15 head on collisions that have resulted in catastrophe. That's a pretty fair ratio, I think.

The reason it is so frustrating in this game is because you lose all the progress you have made in the flight up to the collision. So if you've been engaged in white knuckle combat for over an hour and have 60 kills when the collision occurs, you lose all the vouchers that you earned from those kills. That's like 21,000 credits.  Additionally, you lose your ship and equipment, and although you can buy it back through insurance at a reduced price, sometimes you just don't have enough in the bank, in which case ALL is lost.  With no option to save, this is a particularly harsh result.
What he said
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2014, 01:48:05 PM

Good luck staying away. I was in the same spot as you.  I held out for maybe half a day.

Yeah - back on. Damn game!
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2014, 03:15:06 PM

go home every 20 credits? wouldnt hurt so much

JudgeDredd

I can't seem to avoid 9 out 0f 10...but it's the one - just the one, that takes you out that's so damned annoying
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

For the external shot guys -

Update from the Lead Designer -

Hello Folk!

To add a little developer clarification:

We are looking at external camera views, with the following caveats:

* They are contextualised as camera/drone systems
* They are not designed to be used as alternate flight views
* Their primary function is to allow "beauty shots"
* They may have occasional tertiary game play functions (such as seeing how close you are to something)

No ETA at the moment though.

Hope this helps.

JudgeDredd

Being able to use it when landing would be cool. Don't get me wrong, I like being in the cockpit to land - kind of feels right - but a beauty shot now and again, watching yer skids hit the pad...
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

Are you guys being rammed by other players (human) or NPC's?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson