Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 20, 2014, 08:54:41 AM
JH - saw this this and thought of you

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6221

a post from a dev about multiple ship ownership and the purchase of hangars in space stations!

Yep. I've read that. Sounds really great!

Any idea when the next beta is coming, and what it will add?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

should be this week, they said theyd let people know after gamescon which finished last week

ermmm..........

"board and steal other ships with Zero-G FPS combat"

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 20, 2014, 08:50:54 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 20, 2014, 08:38:02 AM
I agree...it's just an accident and whilst I would agree it's not "unfair", I don't like the total collapse of the craft on one strike. They're just too fast to often do anything about. So I'll be a huge fan if they tame that down...not by a lot - but enough that you can decide to bug out.

I guess, but it doesn't strike me as unrealistic as is. Think about it. You have two vessels heading straight towards each other, each traveling approximately 150 to 200km/s. That is going to be a major impact.  I've had collisions that were not head on and survived with varying levels of damage to shields and hull. So, although harsh, I believe it is realistic and realism is something that I don't want the game to depart from.

What I'd like is the ability to cash in your vouchers from deep space. If I can cash them in electronically from my cockpit while docked, why can't I do this in space, as well?  If I could make a few kills here and there and then log into the security office from space to cash in the vouchers, I wouldn't feel pressured to break off all the time and fly back to port. Also, this would really give the player an option to pause from the action to avoid a catastrophe. If the player fails to do this and then dies, then the loss of the vouchers is on him. I think this is the best, and totally reasonable, solution to the issue.
I don't think it's unrealistic...just too - final. Simply put - it's downright freakin annoying when it happens. So I only want it tamed down so it doesn't happen anymore - realistic or not (and undoubtedly so)...I could just do without losing out so damn quick. Thankfully, in that mission, I hadn't spent 30 minutes or more gathering vouchers  :)
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

^Holy cow! Awesome banner in your sig, JD!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 20, 2014, 09:20:04 AM
^Holy cow! Awesome banner in your sig, JD!
All thanks to PanzersEast!  :)
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Ha! Judge, you're going to love this.

So I saved up about 110,000 credits and finally decided to head out to beagle 2 landing to pick up another viper. I get there, buy my new ship and equip her with 2 multi-cannons and a burst laser. This left me with about 8000 credits. I was tempted to buy a second burst laser, but I resisted, just in case I somehow was killed and needed cash to buy my old hardware. My finger was on the button to buy though, that's how close I was.  If I had  bought it, it would have left me with less than 3000 credits; not enough to purchase the ship back if lost in combat.

Anyway, I leave beagle 2 and head back to Eranin. I make it into the FDS and start tearing apart federal fighters. The cannon/laser combo is amazing. I can destroy a federal fighter in seconds. I love how cannons require deflection while lasers mostly do not. Excellent touch.  Anyway, after taking down close to 20 fighters....BOOM!!! Collision. I'm dead. It cost me about 7,600 credits to buy my old ship with all the hardware. I have a few credits left. That was my one chance. If I die again before making more money, it's back to a free sidewinder.  I can't tell you how extremely pissed I would be right now if I had bought that stupid laser.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Well if this doesn't make you want to buy the game...not sure what will. Guy smuggling contraband past the police. Crazy stealth and piloting skills!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaLJTGHkj8

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: Con on August 01, 2014, 07:14:29 AM

Hmmm if I do like this game I should get it now so I can lock up my favorite MMO gaming name BaconExplosion.  Dammit I need to stop finding any small thing to justify buying it

Con

I recall getting some complaints and being forced to change my character name in UO and some other MMO ages ago. 

I used the name "Stinkypinky".  I had seen much worse, but it doesn't take much to piss some small portion of people off at any one moment.   ;D

mikeck

How do you cash in vouchers? I fought for the federation killing some Eranin craft. Do I have to find a federation station ? Then what

Side note. I found a federation station and cruised towards it. I tried to jump out of the supercruise at the perfect time which I guess kind of was the perfect time because when I frameshifted,  I was already inside of the station smashing in the sidewalls with all the alarms going off. I had to fly out of the station speed the store let me talk there
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

I was with you until 'station speed'  :D

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on August 22, 2014, 11:26:10 PM
How do you cash in vouchers? I fought for the federation killing some Eranin craft. Do I have to find a federation station ? Then what

Side note. I found a federation station and cruised towards it. I tried to jump out of the supercruise at the perfect time which I guess kind of was the perfect time because when I frameshifted,  I was already inside of the station smashing in the sidewalls with all the alarms going off. I had to fly out of the station speed the store let me talk there

When you are docked in a station, go to station services. Then go to contacts, local security office, and there will be an option to cash out vouchers.

That's interesting about exiting frame shift into a Coriolis port. That must be a bug. In case you don't know it yet, there is a gauge on the left side of the cockpit that tells you when you should exit frame shift.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2014, 06:31:16 AM
That's interesting about exiting frame shift into a Coriolis port. That must be a bug. In case you don't know it yet, there is a gauge on the left side of the cockpit that tells you when you should exit frame shift.

and when your HUD flashes 'safe to disengage' youll drop out about 19k from the station

i didnt think you could get in one without docking permission

undercovergeek

i havent checked but apparently I Bootis has run out of fish - the most used and abused commodity in the local markets - game makes me smile everyday

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2014, 06:31:16 AM

When you are docked in a station, go to station services. Then go to contacts, local security office, and there will be an option to cash out vouchers.

I did that and didn't see an option to cash vouchers and Azebin (or whatever the starting station is). I assumed it was because I fought for the federations against Eranis craft so I need to find a fed station to pay. Of course, I did find one, at .12 light speed so they won't let me back

Jarhead0331

Why did you side with the Federation over the Eranin?  If you're looking to make a quick buck, the prevailing wisdom is to NOT do that. Always select Eranin. Maybe you just discovered why?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog