Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

I leave Aulin to go to Rakapilia, and decide to make one more jump away from Azerban and arrive in LH 2516 - theres nothing there, just stars, i need to jump again so head to LH 2887. As i exit the jump the ship tells me my main tanks are empty, oh crap, oh crap i need to get to the station as soon as possible. At last an extraction planet, the amount of minerals i knew about just doubled and theyre all great prices - big decision now, head back towards Azerban, trading as i go or head further into the unknown - Bolg and other weird names are further afield

I dont know whether its my own imagination or its a credit to the dev team but i genuinely feel on the borders of the unknown, its a relief to see the glorious space station when you find it, wondering whether to venture on or head back 'home'

like a security blanket Azerban feels like home, but when there are 400, 000, 000 stars to choose from im sure people will find new homes and just disappear into the blackness, and i hope like some kind of space faring Day Z, youll see a ship a billion miles from home in the same system you are and you can hail them and discuss where youve been and where youre going

as i said, game makes me smile everyday, long time since i felt like this

mikeck

Well I imagine anyone would be pissed if I materialized from supercruise in the middle of their stations .

That said, whats the big deal about siding with the federation? Why should I side with Eranin? Are they independent? You say general consensus (I don't doubt you) but I haven't heard that..why?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on August 23, 2014, 03:09:47 PM
Well I imagine anyone would be pissed if I materialized from supercruise in the middle of their stations .

That said, whats the big deal about siding with the federation? Why should I side with Eranin? Are they independent? You say general consensus (I don't doubt you) but I haven't heard that..why?

Have you looked for threads on making money in the FDS? They all, unanimously, agree that siding with the Eranin is the faster way to earn more credits. I do not know if its because Federal Security fighters are lighter and easier to kill, because there are more of them or because its easy to kill them and then head back to Azeban City to cash in the vouchers. All I know is that is what everyone says. So? How much money did you make from hunting the Eranin Sidewinders?  On their face, they seem more dangerous....they are out there with pulse, burst and beam lasers, and I've seen them shooting missiles too. All Federal Security Fighters, on the other hand, have the same weak loadout.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 23, 2014, 01:17:39 PM
I leave Aulin to go to Rakapilia, and decide to make one more jump away from Azerban and arrive in LH 2516 - theres nothing there, just stars, i need to jump again so head to LH 2887. As i exit the jump the ship tells me my main tanks are empty, oh crap, oh crap i need to get to the station as soon as possible. At last an extraction planet, the amount of minerals i knew about just doubled and theyre all great prices - big decision now, head back towards Azerban, trading as i go or head further into the unknown - Bolg and other weird names are further afield

I dont know whether its my own imagination or its a credit to the dev team but i genuinely feel on the borders of the unknown, its a relief to see the glorious space station when you find it, wondering whether to venture on or head back 'home'

like a security blanket Azerban feels like home, but when there are 400, 000, 000 stars to choose from im sure people will find new homes and just disappear into the blackness, and i hope like some kind of space faring Day Z, youll see a ship a billion miles from home in the same system you are and you can hail them and discuss where youve been and where youre going

as i said, game makes me smile everyday, long time since i felt like this

The biggest problem I have with flying the smaller combat craft is limited range. I can barely make 6 light years in my Viper. No better in the Eagle or Sidewinder.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

and then add cargo - you have to find a cluster of stars and find the trade 'golden ticket' between them

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2014, 03:29:48 PM
Quote from: mikeck on August 23, 2014, 03:09:47 PM

Have you looked for threads on making money in the FDS? They all, unanimously, agree that siding with the Eranin is the faster way to earn more credits. I do not know if its because Federal Security fighters are lighter and easier to kill, because there are more of them or because its easy to kill them and then head back to Azeban City to cash in the vouchers. All I know is that is what everyone says. So? How much money did you make from hunting the Eranin Sidewinders?  On their face, they seem more dangerous....they are out there with pulse, burst and beam lasers, and I've seen them shooting missiles too. All Federal Security Fighters, on the other hand, have the same weak loadout.

I hadn't looked at any threads on making money to tell you the truth. I killed three Eranin fighters for 350 bucks each so that's $1050 in vouchers. That  was just in one quick combat mission. I just started picking off sidewinders that it wandered outside of the main combat ball

You probably have more experience with this game than anyone else on this form except maybe undercover geek...so if you say it's better to fight the feds then I'm going back and fighting the feds!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

i havent read anywhere dont fight eranin, i just think everyone goes for the easier option as JH said - the feds are poorly armed, im sure as the game develops therell be a consequence and a backstory as to why and why not

Jarhead0331

mikeck...out of curiosity, what are you flying in these days and what weapons do you have equipped?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

i wasnt around for pre beta like your good self JH - was there a character wipe when it went public

there is discussion that beta 2 will be early september and will come with a wipe

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 23, 2014, 04:53:53 PM
i wasnt around for pre beta like your good self JH - was there a character wipe when it went public

there is discussion that beta 2 will be early september and will come with a wipe

Yes, Sir. Every major update has come with a character wipe. However, you are refunded credits for the value of your ship and kit. I only seriously started playing after Beta 1 with the solo online-verse. When it was just public multiplay, I really just hung around Azeban City sightseeing. So fortunately, I had nothing to really lose in the wipe. Now, with my viper, weapons and systems...I'm nervous.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

JH & JD -

Hello Commanders!

The suicide rammer AI is mostly a bug, which should go live with the next update (NPC ships were still trying to aim as they dodged, resulting in collision course behaviour). The possibility for collisions will still exist, but hopefully it won't be the de facto tactic!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 23, 2014, 07:00:06 PM
JH & JD -

Hello Commanders!

The suicide rammer AI is mostly a bug, which should go live with the next update (NPC ships were still trying to aim as they dodged, resulting in collision course behaviour). The possibility for collisions will still exist, but hopefully it won't be the de facto tactic!

Wow! Awesome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Staggerwing

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 23, 2014, 07:00:06 PM
JH & JD -

Hello Commanders!

Judge Dredd is going to be doing backflips when he reads this!

Maybe now is the time for me to take the plunge, though I'll probably have to buy a new vid card and more ram for the windows 'puter to play the game.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Staggerwing

Huh. Just read at the web site that it'll be released for Mac a few months after the Windows release, no extra charge for beta purchasers. Sweet!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2014, 04:36:39 PM
mikeck...out of curiosity, what are you flying in these days and what weapons do you have equipped?

Interesting you ask...at one point I had a cobra gussied up with all sorts of auto cannons and heat sinks and then on one of the updates swept everything clean and I started out with a sidewinder. so I kind of put the game side. So right now I'm in a Side winder with my loaned weapons and do the usual stuff so nothing exciting on my end.