Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on August 24, 2014, 12:54:39 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2014, 04:36:39 PM
mikeck...out of curiosity, what are you flying in these days and what weapons do you have equipped?

Interesting you ask...at one point I had a cobra gussied up with all sorts of auto cannons and heat sinks and then on one of the updates swept everything clean and I started out with a sidewinder. so I kind of put the game side. So right now I'm in a Side winder with my loaned weapons and do the usual stuff so nothing exciting on my end.

How long did it take you to save up for that cobra, and how did you do it? Trade I presume? What do they go for anyway? I'm thinking at least $150,00 to $300,000?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 24, 2014, 02:09:20 PM
Quote from: mikeck on August 24, 2014, 12:54:39 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2014, 04:36:39 PM
mikeck...out of curiosity, what are you flying in these days and what weapons do you have equipped?

Interesting you ask...at one point I had a cobra gussied up with all sorts of auto cannons and heat sinks and then on one of the updates swept everything clean and I started out with a sidewinder. so I kind of put the game side. So right now I'm in a Side winder with my loaned weapons and do the usual stuff so nothing exciting on my end.

How long did it take you to save up for that cobra, and how did you do it? Trade I presume? What do they go for anyway? I'm thinking at least $150,00 to $300,000?

No sometime ago a new build came along and when I started I had like 100,000 credits or something like that out of nowhere so I went ahead and spent until the new beta came long after that and wiped me clean. so wasn't sure if it was a bug or not but I never did they work to get the money they just gave it to me
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

RooksBailey

Interesting article in The Telegraph about the impact Elite has had on the culture:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/games/11051122/Elite-the-game-that-changed-the-world.html

QuoteBraben is held in such high esteem in the games world (the widely-admired and hugely popular Grand Theft Auto is considered Elite's natural successor) that pilgrims occasionally track him down to his home in Cambridge – from Germany on one occasion – and ask him, in mind-boggling detail, about the machine code for Elite. Business meetings have been known to begin with a blushing software engineer asking him to sign their Elite "training manual".

And now, aged 50, the "Godfather of Gaming" is trying to match the revolutionary excitement of his youth. Elite is coming back, this time in virtual reality, multi-player glory, and with its own orchestral soundtrack.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Yskonyn

Wow! That illegal goods vid linked above is very cool!
Once Elite gets released properly I am definately jumping in.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

happy as a dog with two d**** - surrounded by spreadsheets and commodity prices - even got a rough handle on the galaxy map and supply and demand

tonight i shall be selling my lasers giving me extra jump capacity

confirmed for Beta II so far -

1) Outposts. These will be non station dockable structures which will be found all over the galaxy, not only near planets. There use is as yet uncertain.

2) Ranks. Player & Faction ranks are due to make an appearance in B2.

3) Expanded Mission System. Tied into #2 the mission system is getting a huge expansion with missions relating to ranks and multi tiered missions both confirmed.

4) The Ocellus Station. A brand new station type called Ocellus is coming in B2. Nothing other than its appearence is known yet.

and galnet feed where space stations can and will share news on players with reputations - earn bounties hunting them down - how cool to appear on galactic news as a player (i think!!)

JudgeDredd

Has anyone seen any "sexy" stations? I only see the hexadioganise ones :-)
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Have you not seen the orbital ones with the big wheel at one end?

JudgeDredd

Nope. To be honest, I've not travelled very far
Alba gu' brath

Swatter

I very much enjoy ED, but it is definitely unforgiving. I ran into a bug where your current ship isn't displayed on the insurance screen (after you die) and I lost almost everything. I then exited super-cruise too close to the station and hit the damn thing, destroying ship and cargo. I lost everything again. It was a tough day yesterday.

ED is right now a good game, very good in many aspects. I can only imagine how cool it will be after release and a couple of expansions.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Swatter on August 29, 2014, 02:23:10 PM
I very much enjoy ED, but it is definitely unforgiving. I ran into a bug where your current ship isn't displayed on the insurance screen (after you die) and I lost almost everything. I then exited super-cruise too close to the station and hit the damn thing, destroying ship and cargo. I lost everything again. It was a tough day yesterday.

ED is right now a good game, very good in many aspects. I can only imagine how cool it will be after release and a couple of expansions.

Wow. That's some pretty nasty stuff. Thankfully, I have not experienced anything like that.

I got a little burned out on the FDS grind so I put the game down for awhile. Looking forward to some more content in Beta2.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Edit
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

a viper with 3 cannons - shield destruction and 68% shield loss in one shot on a sidewinder!!

bob48

Awesome. I really want to get this eventually, although I'm pretty sure I'll be hopeless at combat. My spatial awareness leaves much to be desired.......
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

What a hive of scum and villainy freeport is!!

Shot at all the way in, shot at all the way out - its risky

Found my first stock of narcotics but haven't seen a buyer

undercovergeek

help me!

im being taken over by this game - i sat at work in a darkened hidey place drawing space routes and triangles of trade, i have opened a teamviewer service so that i can access my commodity list on my home PC from my office and contemplate where to trade next and im hooked on docking, and bringing up the commodity list