Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Way cool.  You can pick up the original Elite for free!    OK, maybe you could get this for a while, but I just noticed... O0

https://store.zaonce.net/elite1984.html

For PC only. Requires Windows XP or greater

Package includes a disk image of the original Elite for BBC Micro B; BeebEm, a BBC Micro and Master 128 emulator that enables you to run BBC Micro software on your PC; and instructions for getting started with both BeebEm and Elite.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

PanzersEast

Quote from: Toonces on September 23, 2014, 02:22:31 PM
Ok, copy all.

This is a fantastic game.  I stayed up really, really late last night playing- not something I do very often.

I can easily see this becoming my new Falcon 4.0.

That is a bold statement  ;)

Is it really any better than the X3?  I guess there is so much to do in X3 I am not sure how much better outside of graphics it is and maybe combat.

PE

JudgeDredd

I don't really know about content - but from a playability perspective and an immersion perspective - this beats X3 Rebirth hands down imo.

I genuinely liked X3 though I thought it was very difficult to find things out...some people loved that, I like some hand holding. But when Rebirth came out I really wanted to love it...but it just didn't have something.

And whatever it didn't have, Elite has in SPADES! I fired up Rebirth about a week or two ago and was on it for maybe an hour and I just didn't have that same feel of flying round space. Sure, there's lots of ships and space stations...but there was no immersion there for me.

That's my opinion anyway.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: PanzersEast on September 23, 2014, 03:03:26 PM
Quote from: Toonces on September 23, 2014, 02:22:31 PM
Ok, copy all.

This is a fantastic game.  I stayed up really, really late last night playing- not something I do very often.

I can easily see this becoming my new Falcon 4.0.

That is a bold statement  ;)

Is it really any better than the X3?  I guess there is so much to do in X3 I am not sure how much better outside of graphics it is and maybe combat.

PE

I've described this game as genre redefining. It is the most sensory immersive game ever released in my opinion. It is quite simply a total feast for the senses.  On top of that it is exciting, fun and infinitely vast in what it has to offer.  I've struggled with whether it is revolutionary or merely evolutionary, but it just does so many things absolutely right while making so few mistakes I feel like I can only describe it as a revolution in gaming. This game deserves every reward it will receive. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

^ This.

Although I own a few space games, it really isn't a genre I've spent much time exploring. 

But something about this title has definitely grabbed me.  I'll agree with Jarhead that it is an incredible sensory experience so far.  There isn't any one particular thing I can put my finger on; it's a culmination of little details, like the stupid bobblehead doll on the dashboard, or the way your displays become functional when you look at them, the noises as you enter a space station- the buzzing of the lights, the chatter in the docking area, the complexity of managing the ship's systems. 

It's like somebody finally listened and said, "Ok, this time we're going to take everything customers love about these games and do them all right."

I'll contrast this with something like Battle of Stalingrad, where it seems like despite knowing what the vast majority of their customers want, 777 Studios has made what I would consider poor design decisions...despite knowing they are contrary to what most simmers want.  Elite is the polar opposite.  They know what we like, and they just do it very well and don't half-ass it.

Anyway, I'm only 10 hours in, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.   ^-^
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Rayfer

This thread depresses me. I want it but I suspect my aging 6 year old rig would sputter and die trying to run it.

Toonces

Are we going to hook up on MP together? 

Break...

Jarhead, did you get Star Citizen too?  I was watching a youtube comparison video last night and S.C. looks pretty good also. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

PanzersEast

So I take it that the pricing is for the base game... then you can purchase ships in game or bypass that is purchase outright with real cash?

PE

undercovergeek

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on September 23, 2014, 06:33:56 PM
Are we going to hook up on MP together? 

Break...

Jarhead, did you get Star Citizen too?  I was watching a youtube comparison video last night and S.C. looks pretty good also.

Yes. I have a basic ship package for SC. So far, not impressed. It has a long way to go. I'm confident it will get there, but Elite is light years ahead (See what I did there?)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

PanzersEast

Let's go surf.... September 30th = Beta 2

- Combat ratings from 'Harmless' all the way up to 'Elite'.

- Reputations per system and galaxy-wide that influence attitudes and prices offered to you.

- Ability to discover and explore and scan new systems and sell the data on them.

- Detailed system maps.

- Around 500 additional star systems to explore.

- Lakon Asp Explorer ships added.

- Much greater variety of upgradable Life Support modules, Engines, Hyperdrives, Power Distributors, Sensors, Shield Generators and

- Cargo Racks for all ships.

- Ships are subject to gradual 'wear and tear'.

- New weapons including mines and a new non-lethal missile-deployed cargo hatch disruptor for piracy.

- Outposts (small, exposed 'roadside café' stations in remote locations)

- Occelus starports, a version of which can move around for early civilization of new systems and space tourism.

- Visibility of other ships in supercruise, and track others through supercruise and hyperspace.

- Newsfeeds about events from the rest of the galaxy and player activity in your local system.

- All backers names (from the appropriate crowd-funding reward tiers) have been added to the NPC naming database.

PE

undercovergeek

bought the Cobra last night, saved and switched off, get to take it for a spin later today

i was going to go straight to a Type 6 but the hauler only has 16 slots where the cobra has 36 and a bigger jump distance, saved up 140k credits only to find out it was 33.5k!

still rich so time to do more trading

JudgeDredd

As a trader as opposed to a fighter, I'm not overly happy with the idea of jumping into supercruise and have someone fallowing me. The idea of super cruising out of trouble is to get away. On top of that, wherever you jump out, you have at least 20km to go to the station...I've been as close as 19km and that's it. 20km is a long way to go when you've got someone climbing all over your arse who you've just tried to get away from.

If you come out of supercruise and have another jump to make, you have to avoid the IMPACT by moving your ship away from the planet you are pointing at or you'll be dragged out of supercruise with an over heating ship, go to your left console and choose the next destination...

So...I'm not a fan of how that sounds...as a trader. If I were a fighter, how cool...but I'm not  :(
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

i dont think theyve fully figured out the interdiction rules yet, i dont think it will be as simple as ship x is going to planet x and so am I, press z to interdict

remember you can supercruise anywhere, the pirate has no knowledge of your destination, so if you get away from a planet im not sure they can follow you

unless they hang around the exit zones and take you as you arrive

itll be interesting

MikeGER

its indeed very immersive :-)  i already feel a fatigue from fight for survival  ;-)

here's my story:
i got the free ship and hopped to a star where the planet Anahit's ring is a source for gold.  i collected other material first which sells for 500 credits, then on a next haul i finally found the gold and made it back to Freeport (i had two restarts because i was hunted down when i investigated a signal and it was not space debris it where fighters... then i got the hauler and was able to collect 10 gold container...and was looking for more stuff to salvage, but only on the way to the spaceport ...guess what, got interdicted and destroyed ....Arrrrhhh! 
i got hauler back from the insurance money and looked again for high value stuff in the planets ring .... i got interdicted again (even empty) tried to flee into the asteroid field where i had planed to go on silent running and then shut down all systems .... i didn't made it ....a missile was faster

JH, a question about 'the combat at the distress signal'-battle
...you have to take a side, so either Federation or the local star system force ... but then the decision for a faction will stick?
and you cant (save) visit starsystem that are under the Federation justice anymor in the future?  so maybe its better to help the Federation in that battle?