Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MikeGER on September 24, 2014, 12:39:28 PM

JH, a question about 'the combat at the distress signal'-battle
...you have to take a side, so either Federation or the local star system force ... but then the decision for a faction will stick?
and you cant (save) visit starsystem that are under the Federation justice anymor in the future?  so maybe its better to help the Federation in that battle?         

No. Every time you go to the Signal Zone you pick factions anew. There is no hit to reputation.  However, with beta2 I think they are adding the reputation system so that all might change.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I noticed the other day when I highlighted over a Fed system, it said "Wanted". I think, however, that that was due to me being jumped by a couple of fighters (I wasn't aware as I was in my map) and when I came out the map and realised, I started fighting them...only to realise they were the Fed cops. I think that made me wanted.

I'm not sure I've been scanned when I've visited Fed space since...or even if I've visited Fed space...but it defo says Wanted in Fed space.
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

Mike- how are you collecting minerals?  I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

When you go the distress beacon, I don't see the option where you pick a side.  Also, how are you collecting money for kills?  I took a contract from the BB at Azeban City that wanted me to kill 4 Emine(?) starships for 1000CR.  I actually killed 3 and then collided with the Dreadnaught just as I was about to kill number 4, so I didn't collect the contract.  But I don't see how you are collecting thousands of credits per sortie.

I need to figure out how you guys are getting paid in the early game.  I'm on a fresh re-start with the Sidewinder after dying last night, but how to start making meaningful money in it is eluding me.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

Also Mike - HTF did you get a Hauler already?
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on September 24, 2014, 02:51:45 PM
Mike- how are you collecting minerals?  I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

When you go the distress beacon, I don't see the option where you pick a side.  Also, how are you collecting money for kills?  I took a contract from the BB at Azeban City that wanted me to kill 4 Emine(?) starships for 1000CR.  I actually killed 3 and then collided with the Dreadnaught just as I was about to kill number 4, so I didn't collect the contract.  But I don't see how you are collecting thousands of credits per sortie.

I need to figure out how you guys are getting paid in the early game.  I'm on a fresh re-start with the Sidewinder after dying last night, but how to start making meaningful money in it is eluding me.

Dude...I know its a big thread, but all the answers you seek are contained within. We all struggled with this.

To avoid making your life miserable, look on the rightside panel. Scroll until you get to the page that has the option to select a faction and then choose Eranin or Federation. Then, start killing the enemy.  Each kill gives you a combat voucher. When you're done fighting go back to the local space station, head to the security office and cash in all your vouchers.  If you die in combat before cashing in your vouchers, you will lose them all.  It is painful and frustrating when this happens. My recommendation is to avoid dying. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 24, 2014, 03:18:50 PM

Dude...I know its a big thread, but all the answers you seek are contained within. We all struggled with this.

To avoid making your life miserable, look on the left side panel. Scroll until you get to the page that has the option to select a faction and then choose Eranin or Federation. Then, start killing the enemy.  Each kill gives you a combat voucher. When you're done fighting go back to the local space station, head to the security office and cash in all your vouchers.  If you die in combat before cashing in your vouchers, you will lose them all.  It is painful and frustrating when this happens.
It's the right hand panel to choose a faction  ;)
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2014, 03:20:24 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 24, 2014, 03:18:50 PM

To avoid making your life miserable, look on the left side panel. Scroll until you get to the page that has the option to select a faction and then choose Eranin or Federation. Then, start killing the enemy.  Each kill gives you a combat voucher. When you're done fighting go back to the local space station, head to the security office and cash in all your vouchers.  If you die in combat before cashing in your vouchers, you will lose them all.  It is painful and frustrating when this happens.
It's the right hand panel to choose a faction  ;)

Yeah. I just picked up on that in proof reading. That one would have driven him crazy...good April fools joke though...if it was April.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MikeGER

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2014, 02:59:53 PM
Also Mike - HTF did you get a Hauler already?

Toonces, JD, fly into an Anarchy ruled system ....supercruise around ...if there is an unidentified signal source  fly near it and investigate ...containers are floating in space when you are lucky  ....deploy the cargo scoop ....collect those with high value ...fly to a spaceport with a blackmarket ...sell the found items ( 'stolen' marked) there with the help of the contacts menue of the spaceport

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2014, 02:28:23 PM
I noticed the other day when I highlighted over a Fed system, it said "Wanted". I think, however, that that was due to me being jumped by a couple of fighters (I wasn't aware as I was in my map) and when I came out the map and realised, I started fighting them...only to realise they were the Fed cops. I think that made me wanted.

I'm not sure I've been scanned when I've visited Fed space since...or even if I've visited Fed space...but it defo says Wanted in Fed space.

The whole faction/wanted thing is about to crazy as war spreads across the system

Toonces

Ok, I looked for that faction thingy the first time you mentioned it and I didn't see it.  Maybe too much beer...I'll look sober tonight.   :buck2:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Alright, I'm starting to figure this out.

I collected a bounty for killing 3 Emine ships, but then I had a bounty on my own head that I had to pay off when I went to Azeban City.  I don't need you to explain it, I'll look up the mechanics of how this all works later.  What I found, though, is that collecting scalps is only profitable if you don't take hull damage.  I got completely lit up by the 4th guy I was fighting and he knocked me down to 21% hull, which almost negated my profits.  If you guys are killing 8000CR worth of scalps in the Sidewinder then you have my ultimate respect.

Anyway, I got one really good courier run that netted a couple thousand CR plus a few bounties and that put me over the edge to start playing the commodities market for real.  I found a good route between Azeban City and Beagle 2 Station.  I'm up to about 15,000 credits which now allows me to kit out 3 somethings (I can't remember what they are, some technology) per run that will get me a good 2400CR per one-way, and then Animal Feed or Food going the other way is netting me about 2000CR per run.  So finally, after getting some money in my pocket I'm able to start making MORE money much faster. 

Boy, that was tough and a little grindy.  I hope I don't have to start from scratch like that again!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on September 25, 2014, 03:12:25 AM

I collected a bounty for killing 3 Emine ships, but then I had a bounty on my own head that I had to pay off when I went to Azeban City.  I don't need you to explain it, I'll look up the mechanics of how this all works later.  What I found, though, is that collecting scalps is only profitable if you don't take hull damage.  I got completely lit up by the 4th guy I was fighting and he knocked me down to 21% hull, which almost negated my profits.  If you guys are killing 8000CR worth of scalps in the Sidewinder then you have my ultimate respect.

Anyway, I got one really good courier run that netted a couple thousand CR plus a few bounties and that put me over the edge to start playing the commodities market for real.  I found a good route between Azeban City and Beagle 2 Station.  I'm up to about 15,000 credits which now allows me to kit out 3 somethings (I can't remember what they are, some technology) per run that will get me a good 2400CR per one-way, and then Animal Feed or Food going the other way is netting me about 2000CR per run.  So finally, after getting some money in my pocket I'm able to start making MORE money much faster. 

Boy, that was tough and a little grindy.  I hope I don't have to start from scratch like that again!
Making money from Trade is less risky and could be more profitable (think head on collisions or, as you say damage taken). I certainly got my Hauler quicker by doing trade. There's a web site I'll PM you that you can use to check out prices of products and where you'll get most profit (I'll pm it because UCG is a geek about trade!)  :P

You really need to take somewhere in the region of at least 10 scalps before heading back to Azeban City to make a decent profit and cover repair costs. Also - choose Eranin as your faction and kill Fed ships and you won't have a bounty when you get back to Azeban.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 25, 2014, 03:27:53 AM
Quote from: Toonces on September 25, 2014, 03:12:25 AM

Making money from Trade is less risky and could be more profitable (think head on collisions or, as you say damage taken). I certainly got my Hauler quicker by doing trade. There's a web site I'll PM you that you can use to check out prices of products and where you'll get most profit (I'll pm it because UCG is a geek about trade!)  :P

You really need to take somewhere in the region of at least 10 scalps before heading back to Azeban City to make a decent profit and cover repair costs. Also - choose Eranin as your faction and kill Fed ships and you won't have a bounty when you get back to Azeban.

lol, if youre going to link to where i think they were all closed down this morning - data scraping tools are now banned, data collecting as in i flew here and that was the price and it been recorded is fine but writing script to pull the prices from the games memory is now defunct

JudgeDredd

lol - shite!  >:(

Now you have to do what you had to do in the X universe...buy shit and hope you can make a profit...and I was NEVER any good at that, so when I was able to get the trading tool in X, I was very pleased...and even then I found it a challenge.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

im unsure if its in Beta 2 but its definitely coming - much more adaptive trading tools, getting updates from systems without having to dock, other pilots been able to sell price lists as they leave stations, and a more intuitive galaxy map

what i will say is the galaxy map works at the mo - BUT ONLY - if you check one commodity at a time. If you click on say metals youll see some trade between planet X and who it sells metals to, but if you dig into the metals category and click each metal on and off youll see much more trade routes that were missed with 'just show me metals'

i downloaded slopeys the other day to see what it actually did and then flew out, checked the galaxy map and noted what i would buy, then used slopeys and compared the 2 - they matched almost everytime, one is work and rewarding, one is clicking a button and been spoon fed