Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: PanzersEast on September 30, 2014, 07:31:50 AM
I'm in as well... JD and Mike will send a request...  what time are you guys on?  I when through all the setup last night of getting my systems and flight stick configured.... and getting myself killed in a 30 min dogfight.

PE

Save your config file before upgrading today..... it wiped the files last time

mikeck

Just FYI for those who don't get them...the latest news flash from the elite universe. You will notice that player actions actually have an effect on the events. It truly is a dynamic universe:

"All information ©3300 Elite Pilots Federation. Copyright violation is a crime in all jurisdictions.

:: Elite Pilots Federation Priority 1 Alert ::

Rebels seize Azeban's third city following outbreak of civil war in the Eranin system

The Azebanian provincial city of New Fresno fell to rebel forces this morning as the civil war moved into its fourth day.

Thousands of pro-government refugees have fled to Azeban's historical capital city of Fort Bradley, escaping what is believed to be, thus far, a largely bloodless rebellion.

The weekend had seen significant government victories, thanks in large part to the participation of traders from the Pilot's Federation. Cmdrs Johnny V and Fallschirmjäger provided Eranin's government with high quantities of Combat Stabilizers and Basic Medicines, while Cmdrs Nephalim Angel and Psychopomp delivered cases of celebratory liquor in the thousands.

However, orbital strikes on grain silos by rebel craft have caused panic on the streets of New Fresno and a mass exodus of loyalist civilians that has left the city in rebel hands.

Civilians have begun hoarding medical supplies, driving demand for essential medicine while demand for luxury goods and consumer technology is plummeting. Commentators suggest the market's reaction, when it comes, will be swift and dramatic.

Fort Bradley remains untouched by rebel forces. An official speaking from the city denied rumors of Imperial support for the long-standing government, and said: "We are doing all we can to support our comrades making the journey to our capital, where they will be greeted warmly by the loyal people of Azeban."

He went on to dismiss the uprising, describing the conflict many are calling the 'Anniversary War' as a 'skirmish', saying: "Eranin is a system of pioneers that has stood proudly independent for 30 years, and we ask our friends in the Pilot's Federation to supply us with medicine and weapons to assist in opposing these rebels' unjustified attacks against Eranin's people."

In a dispatch believed to have come from the overthrown New Fresno, rebel forces responded: "We demand democracy, nothing more. Our unelected government steals away our freedoms while raising ever more in taxes. We will remove them from power one building, one city and one planet at a time, if we must. We have attacked only the grain silos with which Eranin's government shackles its people, and any bloodshed will be on our oppressors' hands, not ours."
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

"
Conflict between Pilot's Federation Commanders in the i Boötis system has seen 3,316 bounties collected in recent days, but a further 6,343 fresh bounties handed out by the federation's enforcers. Cmdr Erik Marcaigh is the system's Most Wanted, and has been described as "a menace." The Pilot's Federation asked other pilots to "follow the lead of leading bounty hunter Cmdr kiFF and collect the generous rewards offered on rogue agents."

Trading and combat activities currently favor Eranin's government over its rebels, though disinformation campaigns on both sides make accurate reporting problematic."
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Beta 2 being uploaded now. Turns out that it will be a FULL WIPE which really pisses me off. We wee told that it would not be so I invested my limited game time this week to playing...only to lose it all

JudgeDredd

^ I deliberately hadn't been playing because BETA 2 was coming out. I know they said what they said - but I wasn't taking any chances on investing a whole load of time for naught!

I feel yer pain though.  :(
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on September 30, 2014, 05:02:51 PM
Beta 2 being uploaded now. Turns out that it will be a FULL WIPE which really pisses me off. We wee told that it would not be so I invested my limited game time this week to playing...only to lose it all

Did you have a good time?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

theres a message from the team earlier this week asking for the communitys opinion and partial or full wipe - they hinted they would prefer a full one to properly test the new stuff and 53 pages later the vast majority was 'do what you need to do', but they still asked

undercovergeek

well, it was 53 pages this morning!!

160 now

and the moaning begins already because they said the 30th and it might be 1am on the 1st, the plethora of 'but i stayed up special for this moment'

i mean, i love Elite, but seriously!

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 30, 2014, 05:07:35 PM
Quote from: mikeck on September 30, 2014, 05:02:51 PM

Did you have a good time?

Of course. But the point is that the enjoyment stems from building my character. If I knew it was going to be wiped in a week, I would have spent my time playing something else until it updated. I don't mind the wipe itself but I am a little upset that we were told there would be no wipe originally. I'm not suicidal or something but I get about 4-5 hours a week of computer time so I would have preferred to invest it in something else. It's a
"Me" problem but annoying nonetheless.

PanzersEast

undercovergeek

mikeck

Download is sloooooooowww. Just FYI. Been downloading for 39 minutes and have about 10% done. Guess the rest of the 500,000 beta backers are doing the same

undercovergeek

Quote from: mikeck on September 30, 2014, 07:52:08 PM
Download is sloooooooowww. Just FYI. Been downloading for 39 minutes and have about 10% done. Guess the rest of the 500,000 beta backers are doing the same

lol yeah

load, crash

load, look, crash

load, look, take off, crash

load, look, take off, fly, crash

its a bit rough at the mo with everyone on - bedtime and try tomorrow

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 30, 2014, 08:22:54 PM
lol yeah

load, crash

load, look, crash

load, look, take off, crash

load, look, take off, fly, crash

its a bit rough at the mo with everyone on - bedtime and try tomorrow

its like a date with Mirth.   ???
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 30, 2014, 05:29:19 PM
well, it was 53 pages this morning!!

160 now

and the moaning begins already because they said the 30th and it might be 1am on the 1st, the plethora of 'but i stayed up special for this moment'

i mean, i love Elite, but seriously!
lol - it takes all kinds to make the world interesting...and otherwise!  ;D
Alba gu' brath