Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 01, 2014, 12:19:47 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on September 30, 2014, 05:29:19 PM
well, it was 53 pages this morning!!

160 now

and the moaning begins already because they said the 30th and it might be 1am on the 1st, the plethora of 'but i stayed up special for this moment'

i mean, i love Elite, but seriously!
lol - it takes all kinds to make the world interesting...and otherwise!  ;D

And guess who ended up til 3?

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 01, 2014, 01:52:05 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 01, 2014, 12:19:47 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on September 30, 2014, 05:29:19 PM
well, it was 53 pages this morning!!

160 now

and the moaning begins already because they said the 30th and it might be 1am on the 1st, the plethora of 'but i stayed up special for this moment'

i mean, i love Elite, but seriously!
lol - it takes all kinds to make the world interesting...and otherwise!  ;D

And guess who ended up til 3?
oh dear oh dear!  :o
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Lol, so many problems at mo I'll leave it for a day.... don't know whether it's network or needs a hotfix, while new ui and set up to learn...... don't even start in azeban city anymore

Jarhead0331

I installed but could not connect to a server last night. Wow. Don't start at Azeban anymore? That's a shock.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

you start at azeban outpost, outside, in the shadow of eranin itself, no commodity trading at outposts so youve got to jump to the old city station but jumping isnt working so thats that for now

starmap now shows the whole selection of planets and their stations so you can see a systems whole planet range and whether it has a station or not - wyrd has 3 now!!

lave is in too

mikeck

Yeah not sure what's up with the jumping. I thought they were supposed to update to 5.01 last night to fix that...kind of makes it hard to do stuff when you can't jump
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 01, 2014, 05:50:59 AM
I installed but could not connect to a server last night. Wow. Don't start at Azeban anymore? That's a shock.

I could not log on in solo mode but if I tried open play I could log on. then if I quit the menu and tried solo play again,  it would let me logon....so not sure what's happening over there
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

patch 2.01 later today

the biggest problems are no jumping, but works for some, and the actual sky out of the window is been ported in from the galaxy map as a bug so its all shiny and weird

PanzersEast

I had server issues last night, but was able to play solo.  I did manage to make one trade run for marginal profit, however I got jumped several times, but made it out alive.  I am a newb so I have just the basic setup and trying to earn enough money for upgrades.  I have most of the procedures down, however need a little more practice.  I feed very exposed in space for sure, just the basic setup makes for a very interesting journey by just earning money and not much exploring.

I also had issues with my TrackIR and it was so bad I had to turn it off. 

PE

MikeGER

was able to play some tutorial (those without a jump) and actually even managed to get into solo-play just once  ...until game freezed when i try to jump
(well, i had to kill the ED client-task with windows taskmanager a lot and restarted client to get some 'stick-time' in 2.0)

i cant evaluate on the graphics because my 500-series Nvidea card has some known issues with ED beta 2.0 atm 

things will improve fast in the next hours/days with little updates in the making

mikeck

Actually the biggest issue for me right now is the lack of a galaxy maps for navigation. When you open up the galaxy map you get an outside view of the Milky Way...same bug in the cockpit view when you're looking at the Milky Way as if you're millions of light-years outside of it. hopefully 2.01 will fix that otherwise navigations going to be a bit tough

Bletchley_Geek

The experience was a bit rocky last night (Australian East Coast time). I got one lock-up while jumping (in the Travel Tutorial) and another one loading the first Tutorial. Killing the game with the Task Manager worked very well for me as well. I attempted the Travel Tutorial five times and I got a lock-up twice while entering hyperspace.

Anyone got some good tips/tactics on combat?

I see that ships turning around the Yaw axis is quite slow - took me a couple deaths in the Advanced Combat tutorial to realize that - and now I understand that the name of the game is to Roll + Pitch when you want to turn fast. Is that yaw-axis turning slowness an attribute specific to each ship? I also see that this space game requires you to regulate thrust manually to match enemy ships speeds. Is there any module/fitting for the ship that tells you on the HUD what's the speed of the current locked target? Last, do weapons have "realistic" ranges or these are "gamified"? On the first basic combat tutorial I could see those Gatling Guns having an effect on asteroids several kilometers away.

I also find in-system navigation to be slightly confusing. Having a celestial locked doesn't seem to be shown as clearly as it is the case for ships - I had to eyeball my destination. Either that, or I don't know how to read the scanner graphics (which could well be the case).

undercovergeek

yaw was deliberately made so slow so you couldnt sit stationary and act like a turret in space

the goal was to make combat WW2 in style, boom and zoom, dog fighting and trying to out turn the opponent

there is also flight assist on and off that allows various tricks, one of which was to flip and fly backwards as your enemy passes you so you can carry on shooting - but the flight mechanics have all just been altered for beta 2 - lots of sulkers and lots of people happy, as ever thus

the big 'no can do' now is they have nerfed the ability to turn flight assist off and then just hit boost, which in some ships gets you to 700 in a second - you will never be caught unawares whilst that exists

Bletchley_Geek

Thanks for the answers, fellow Geek :)

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 01, 2014, 07:48:54 PM
yaw was deliberately made so slow so you couldnt sit stationary and act like a turret in space

the goal was to make combat WW2 in style, boom and zoom, dog fighting and trying to out turn the opponent

It's an interesting decision, and I do agree that it gives a very distinct character to combat. Indeed, if one had a ship with really thick shields and hull, probably the whole combat thing would devolve into a 3D version of Space Invaders.

there is also flight assist on and off that allows various tricks, one of which was to flip and fly backwards as your enemy passes you so you can carry on shooting - but the flight mechanics have all just been altered for beta 2 - lots of sulkers and lots of people happy, as ever thus

Cranking horizontal thrust in reverse is something I have tried, but indeed, pulling that at the right time is going to be a hard skill to learn. How does flight assist affect thrust? As a limiter of sorts?

the big 'no can do' now is they have nerfed the ability to turn flight assist off and then just hit boost, which in some ships gets you to 700 in a second - you will never be caught unawares whilst that exists

That sounds good too - I do like that this game doesn't introduce artificial chokepoints (other than stations and celestials with the mass lock effect). I need to understand better how scanners and ECM works, though - as I was thinking that dropping from Frame Shift  propulsion several hundred kilometers away from your destination and going silent running could help to check for nasty surprises.

Is there any kind of NPC "space police" besides the "no fire zones" around stations?